When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modern Sub ?

HauteHippie

Thinking about buying this one and sticking it in a safe for approx 16 more years, then giving it to my son. It is the F serial, from my son's birth year. And aside from that, this one has two features: (1) it's the first sub without lugholes, and (2) it has the dial with the flat S. I don't know if #2 is really of significance or not. This thing is in great shape, with box and papers... but the asking price is either at or higher than what it cost new at $4900.

Your thoughts?

web.jpg

Some people speculate that this "era" of Rolex will increase in value.

It might, but I doubt they'll ever become true collectible pieces like the Paul Newman, Orange Explorer and 1680. I don't have any facts but I suspect the production numbers are simply too big.

But for me personally, the 16610 and 16710 are the most desirable Rolexes. I understand the attraction of the plastic crystal models but this "modern era" was Rolex at its peak, design wise.

I would never buy a new Rolex again. Those fat lugs models have lost it, unfortunately. They screwed up because they tried to improve perfection. And that's not possible.

That 16610, however, is pure perfection. Is it a good investment? Probably not, but I doubt it will lose its value, either.

Go for it! :good:

That seems just a little high, however it is in immaculate condition, with all the paperwork, which certainly stands for something. Does it have a recent service? Being from 2003, it's 8 years young, but you would be looking at a service sometimes in the near future. With no service, I would ask for a discount based on that. Probably around 500 USD would be my starting point for the discount. If you can get this one for around 4500-4600, I would jump on it. I recently bought a "P" serial (2000) with no papers, box, accessories, and owner said it had been serviced, but no paperwork to substantiate. I paid 3250 USD for it, So i don't think it would be too much of a stretch to have a 3 year later model with everything sell for 1200-1300 USD more

Chief,

just put it away in your safe and give it to your son when he is old enough to

wear it ( might be 18 or 21 or... )

I have a Tissot which i got from my dad laying in a safe waiting until he is old enough to wear it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

That's such a noble thought man.....Well done...

The watch looks pristine and I can only imagine what it would look like when it will be revealed

to your lucky son, several years from now.....the glistening Rolex will have become 'older' and

in this condition it would be such a treat to wear/own such a piece...

Chief,

I just did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. My son was born in 2004 also and I bought a very nice F model that was purchased in 2004 from the original owner and I'm assuming made in '04.

I'm going to wear the watch with the full intention of giving it to him at some point in my life (or by will if that comes first). I'm very careful with my watches/jewelry, so I expect it to be in fine condition when he receives it. I think any marks that do get on the watch will have some sentimental value for my son since he knew his old man wore it.

What a thoughtful idea and as others have said, such an awesome gift. I think the gift of a wristwatch is one of the best presents a man can receive.

This one looks as if it was owned by a meticulous collector.

I found this:

http://www.watches.co.uk/watches/information/rolex-serial-numbers/

Jan 05-July 06 D 000,001

Jan 04 F 000,001

Sept 02 Y 000,001

As I read this, F series started in January '04

a watch dealer friend of mine just emailed me back.

He said:

I would estimate that in 2003 we have

F0xx.xxx to F1xx.xxx

in 2004 we have F2xx.xxx to F7xx.xxx

and the rest in 2005.

Price without holes is over 4600 so really difficult to find one below.