When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Damaged hands after re-luming modification.

Rojjben

Ok, so I just got back a watch from a well known re-luming modder.

However, when inspecting the watch the hands are damaged.

The hands were brand new and had never been installed before sending them to the modder.

(hands where bought here on the forum by a well known member).

I have emailed the re-luming modder but havent got an answer.

What to do? I have quite a large sum invested in this watch.

And to my knowledge these hands are no longer available.

What would you guys have done?

Advice is really needed here

Case closed.

Bummer, but these things happen. When installing after-market parts there are often complications. It's very easy to damage a hand during installment. Especially chome plated hands...

The question is, are you nit picking and can one hardly see the damages with the naked eye or are the hands really f'ed up?

Shoot a pic will ya?

may never happen.

with the correct tool for the specific hand type it never happens.

but when a amateur is on this work, then it can be that everythinbg can happen.

amateur is amateur and not a profi.

ziggy is a profi, i have never seen like this from him and heard never from other members.

he would never send out like this.

he is watchmaker.

my watchmaker is master with certificate and an absolutely profi. always top work is his premise.

use always a profi and not a bodger.

rolli

After seeing the work performed by this modder One can easily think that ge knows what he is doing.

Got an initially response now. He tells me that this easily happens on these type of hands??!?

Yeah, thats what I told him. Watch is useless to me in that condition.

He told me that the blue coating is very fragile.

"Regarding the hands you must know that I have a handpress made of plastic, normaly you can not damage anything but the blue color is coated in the nano range thats why it is ultra sensitive."

We´ll see whats happening.

What should I do, what can I do?

My experience with these type of hands is that the paint is actually very tough and has a hard finish, it takes a lot to chip the paint.

A number of years ago there were many of these hands that were defective and turned reddish/orange over time, this seems to have been corrected.

Normal care and attention to detail should never result in those particular hands being damaged, not even the hand installer should do that type of damage. I never use any "protection" when installing the hands, that's why you use professional quality installation tools, they won't damage even the most delicate hand. Nickel or gold plated hands are the most easily scratched.

If the damage wasn't enough, the actual lume application looks poor, especially the hour hand lume, it looks like it's got dirt or something imbedded in the lume paste.

If the damage wasn't enough, the actual lume application looks poor, especially the hour hand lume, it looks like it's got dirt or something imbedded in the lume paste.

Maybe the lumer was trying to go for an "aged" look, no? :lol:

I'm glad there's you. :good:

Sent from my SGS II using Tapatalk

I am sorry to hear of your woes mate.... I hope things get sorted for you...

Regardless of who did it and assuming there is nothing more to the info set out here.... the most disappointing thing for me is that it was sent back without comment...

We all know things happen with modding and regardless of the skill of the modder.. prof or not... then at least I would expect any modder to say " Look the hands were damaged... I will try and source another set or if you (the owner) can get another set sent to me and I will refund you against your costs..."

The biggest problem with a lot of modders I have found even the best of them.... except for one exception!! But he has already posted here ;).....is that they take on too much or dont organise a steady stream of work which therefore impacts on the quality of the work...

In addition just personal circumstances can create a back log and in turn this can effect the quality... this then tends to be compounded by a lack of communications... again for the reasons above or due to language differences..

But the other side of the coin is some of us can expect too much or dont appreciate the risks of some mods with certain parts or watches... this aint aimed at you R in any way mate.. :) I am just talking generally..... even in the short time I have been on this forum I have seen great leaps in repping and modding and having read older threads and speaking to senior members I realise just how far things have come... mainly because of those senior members on here pushing the boundaries and expectations.. for the benefit of us all... :)

I think this is highlighted by some of the recent threads/comments made regarding member sales... let alone dealer sales..

No matter R..... I hope it gets sorted

I do know there is a risk with this watches, however a brief comment before return shipping or even when the watch was open would be appriciated. (Like mentioned above).

Things seems to look a little brighter after all.

Hoping that this gets sorted.

/R

Finally sorted.

Big creds to the modder!!! (Which I havent yet mentioned in this thread).

Everything sorted, and then some. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Really great handled in the end. :victory:

Many many thanks.

Moderators are more than welcome to close this thread.