When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Ingenieur Review

rangers158

After so much hype about the IWC Ingenieur, I succumb to ordering one. I just received today and the watch looks great at first glance and feels really solid. However, on closer inspection, there seem to be a very minor cosmetic flaw on the dial. The black paint on the edge of the dial where the whilte markings and small numbering is, seem to be chipped off on some parts (see pic).

133941-18576.jpg

I thought it just my luck to get a bad piece... However, after going through several other pics posted by pthers, the problem seems more prevalent than I thought. The pic posted by Sql pl also showed the same problem. The pics posted by other shows similar problem but I cannot pinpoint it as the pics are a bit too low-res or the angle shown is not obvious.

133941-18577.jpg

Can those members that got the IWC Ingenieur please check if you got such a problem and report in this thread? I would just like to find out how many of us have this chipped paint issue at the edge of the dial. Thanks.

Sql pl: I wanted to check with you on this problem through pm but I think your pm is full or something. Hope you do not mind me using your pic as an illustration. Thanks.

After so much hype about the IWC Ingenieur, I succumb to ordering one. I just received today and the watch looks great at first glance and feels really solid. However, on closer inspection, there seem to be a very minor cosmetic flaw on the dial. The black paint on the edge of the dial where the whilte markings and small numbering is, seem to be chipped off on some parts (see pic).

134127-18557.jpg

I thought it just my luck to get a bad piece... However, after going through several other pics posted by pthers, the problem seems more prevalent than I thought. The pic posted by Sql pl also showed the same problem. The pics posted by other shows similar problem but I cannot pinpoint it as the pics are a bit too low-res or the angle shown is not obvious.

134127-18558.jpg

Can those members that got the IWC Ingenieur please check if you got such a problem and report in this thread? I would just like to find out how many of us have this chipped paint issue at the edge of the dial. Thanks.

Sql pl: I wanted to check with you on this problem through pm but I think your pm is full or something. Hope you do not mind me using your pic as an illustration. Thanks.

Hmm, mine is on its way to Canada right now, but I have some hi-res pics on my computer at home. I'll check them tonight. I hadn't noticed this though.

Either way, it would seem like a fairly easy thing to fix.

u can touch it up a bit but be careful cause u dont want to cake it on also it will always be visible when u blow pics up and or look at it with a loupe but it should be fine by looking with it with your eyes on the wrist , i would probably dilute some black gloss enamel paint (make sure it is gloss first)to do the touch up and put a couple of thin layers on building it up gradually to fill in the chips , in other words i wouldnt glob it up there ok

hope this helps

joe

uhmmm :thumbdown:

I wonder if the problem could get worst with time...and some more patina could raise in other parts of the dial near the edge...

Hard to say. My guess would be it has/had to do with the (mis)handling of the dials at the factory and that the paint isn't just flaking off. They're all coming from the same place, and all seem to have this issue, which by the way I had never noticed with the naked eye.

Hard to say. My guess would be it has/had to do with the (mis)handling of the dials at the factory and that the paint isn't just flaking off. They're all coming from the same place, and all seem to have this issue, which by the way I had never noticed with the naked eye.

Looks like this problem spoils s an otherwise very high quality watch... Hmmm...

I have contacted Eddie about providing a replacement dial. I expect him to take care of this issue.

Well now after looking closely at the ING, the damn case back is screwed on crooked. If it's cross threaded, I'm sending it back. Taking to my watch guy today. Is anyone elses case back higher on on side than the other? I can actually see about a .5mm gap between the case back lip and the case.

Well now after looking closely at the ING, the damn case back is screwed on crooked. If it's cross threaded, I'm sending it back. Taking to my watch guy today. Is anyone elses case back higher on on side than the other? I can actually see about a .5mm gap between the case back lip and the case.

My caseback was installed correctly. I removed it to have a peek at the movement as I always do after receiving a new watch. :)

Clearly, though, there is some sloppiness at this particular factory. We shouldn't be terribly surprised.

after looking more closely at mine and the magnified pics here, is it possible that this is glue spillover, and not chipped paint?

I thought it can be glue as well. However, the top ring is glued to the dial. Why would they want to glue top of this top black ring to the underside of the bezel. So most likely it is mishandled in the factory causing inconsistency in the dial quality... Why can't they just put in a little more effort. Everytime I get a watch, 60% of the time, I would need to open it up to clean out the fingerprints and stuff.. Sigh...

As an outsider looking in... I wonder if that remarkable instrument ... the Texta colour, or another fine point black marking pen, may be the quick fix answer to these dial woes?

It would depend on the gloss of the dial, and if the " chipping' is noticeable from a depth perspective.

But I have successfully " repaired" quite a number of dials with various colour Textas'.

Offshore