When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust Rep the usual Newbie question.

cobra8272

Hi Guys

New member here and i've got the usual Newbie questions.

My next purchase will be a Rolex Datejust SS white or silver dial with stick markers and jubilee bracelet.

I have been searching the Forums here and RWI for the last 3 days for information on the SS Datejust Reps - but with little result.

Is there any recommended better SS Datejust rep's or dealer who has a better quality model than others.

Just bought a PO - the ultimate 5th gen.

Is there something similar with Rolex models ??

All the Replica sales sites seem to be Gen photo's.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also i read somewhere that there are no more Swiss ETA movements available, all i made in China- yet Replica sites are offering their Datejusts with Swiss ETA's.

Is this correct or are they mis-guided??

Any help very much appreciated or if you can direct me where to search, and i apologise for asking obvious questions.

Thanks

Cobra

The DJ reps are all the same quality, pretty good actually. Just go with a trusted dealer.

As for the ETA question thee has been much debate, some say IF you get a gen ETA movement it will be old, dirty, recycled from another watch.

The simplicity of the DateJust makes it a fairly easy watch to replicate in an accurate manner. The only change I would make to the actual watch itself is to put a genuine crown on it as the rep crowns are usually junk.

A few years ago, it was pretty cost effective to just build a DJ frankenstein using a genuine case and dial with an ETA inside; the total cost was not much more than some of the old TW Best reps. But the cost for gen case kits has gone up. Still doable, just more expensive...

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

"A few years ago, it was pretty cost effective to just build a DJ frankenstein using a genuine case and dial with an ETA inside; the total cost was not much more than some of the old TW Best reps. But the cost for gen case kits has gone up. Still doable, just more expensive..."

For sure!

About 5 or 7 years ago I bought a few tutone DJ with ST6 movements and the cases would take genuine DJ 16200 crystal gaskets and crystals. Maybe you can find a similar case.

I installed gen spec crystal gaskets, sapphire crystals, and case tubes from Star Time on a couple along with a used genuine crowns and they did not leak at 100 psi (6 or 7 atm in my water tester)...Bergeon 5555/98 with a Shrader valve on the cap so I can put air in it from a small air tank.

These cases are 'no hole' cases (sapphire crystal models) and I ruined one trying to drill the lug holes out but a 135 acrylic crystal will also fit. I put a couple together with the ST6 replica dials and eta movements and they looked just like a genuine case except they do not have any numbers on the case between the lugs (one had 'fuk u watch co' stamped in the caseback showing they had a sense of humor). The ST6 had 9mm offset dials and date wheels so I cemented the dial to the eta 2836 calendar spacer and the ST6 date wheel to the eta calendar.

They also make good sapphire explorer cases if you can find a dial...and no date wheels etc to worry with. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow !

seriously nice DJ,s.

So what would it cost now to build a SS DJ with a white or silver dial??

Ubiquitous, your first post pics look amazing. Lucky guy your Dad, nice gift!

I can pick up a good gen for $1500 to $2000 , is this about right?

Thats why i'm thinking Rep for now and a Gen for June next year for my birthday.

This is the second one that i did.... 16030.. All gen with ETA2836 and ETA Datejust hands. Not sure about the clasp. I bought it as a gen off ebay but I dont think it is. It looks good enough for me so I used it.

Its a beautiful watch and the most comfortable Rolex there is. Easy to build once you get all the parts together.

post-6336-0-28802500-1310899233.jpg

post-6336-0-21589900-1310899411.jpg

Ubiquitous, your first post pics look amazing. Lucky guy your Dad, nice gift!

I can pick up a good gen for $1500 to $2000 , is this about right?

Well, there's the big thing to really consider. Used gens can absolutely be had in the range you mention above, but that's usually for the 160x (1570 caliber/acrylic) and 1601x (3035 caliber/acrylic) models. The newer 162xx (3135 caliber/sapphire) models are generally in the $2500 - $5k range. Of course, those are all +/- a few hundred in either direction, but not all DateJusts are the same. With this in mind, it depends on which particular model you are after to determine whether building a frankenwatch or simply buying a replica makes sense. Buying a rep gets you a pretty close piece for a small fraction of the cost.

A 160x (caliber 1570 with acrylic crystal) is easy enough to build.

I've found that on all of the rep cases I have the rehaut will accept the plexi crystal and the only difference is the bezel. The "plexi" bezel has a slightly larger ID and is not as tall.

This watch was made from a 2824 rep case that originally had a sapphire crystal. The Clark crystal and gen bezel were a direct fit.

DJ 2.JPG

The simplicity of the DateJust makes it a fairly easy watch to replicate in an accurate manner. The only change I would make to the actual watch itself is to put a genuine crown on it as the rep crowns are usually junk.

A few years ago, it was pretty cost effective to just build a DJ frankenstein using a genuine case and dial with an ETA inside; the total cost was not much more than some of the old TW Best reps. But the cost for gen case kits has gone up. Still doable, just more expensive...

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

This is simply stunning.....even though I am not a fan of dials with stick markers, this one is jumping out right at me....The color of the dial and the sunburst effect is just great....