When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is your Grail watch?

ubiquitous

Doesn't have to be genuine either. freddy's 6542 is an excellent example of a grail, even if "it's only a model." :)

Model? Except for the insert & paint (on the gen gmt dial), this grail is the real deal

18white65420201.jpg

002-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

(My ETA-powered Phase 1 '42 at right)

012-2_2__tonemapped1-2.jpg

(Hour hand installed for display purposes only)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Model? Except for the insert & paint (on the gen gmt dial), this grail is the real deal

Sorry if it sounded like I was disparaging your 6542 in any way, but that quote was just a 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' reference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAYk5VWkTw

Honestly, your search for those last few movement parts at watchsmiths' and jewelers' stores is exactly the Labors of Hercules-type effort I'm talking about.

True (& with all due respect to the Pythons), but I still would not call it a model.

Funny I thought it was Camelot that was THE model .... :)

Marty..... what you on about mate.... we all know that any watch that is truly a grail for you .... you sell ;):)

True (& with all due respect to the Pythons), but I still would not call it a model.

I have to admit, I thought the original comment was refering to the model/issue of watch, ie model 1665, model 1680, rather than calling it a model as in an airfix model. It does highlight quite well one of the main reasons (other than financial restraints) that I haven't ever wanted to get into the more accurate and expensive builds... We all know that the pieces which go in are what makes the watch what it is, not the brandname factory who builds them, and even then, it is the pursuit of said pieces and their acquisition which make the watches more than the sum of its parts :) But as far as the TZ elitists are concerned, it doesn't matter if it has 100% gen parts used, or all bits from 21j models, as far as they're concerned, if a Rolex-trained smith didn't build it, it's still 'just a fake', so given that blinkered rationale, I figure if expensive parts are still considered just as 'fake' as the cheap parts, whatver I build would always be considered 'just a fake' by the elitists, so as I'm not trying to impress anyone, I might as well save myself cash and build cheap :pardon::drinks:

Because so many of the watches have survived & so few original inserts have accompanied them, even to the hard-core TZ (& VRF) elitists, a 6542 with an aftermarket (or later gen version) insert is often acceptable. Therefore, exceptions are often made for this model.

The fact is that some of our frankens (those powered by gen motors behind gen dials (even if repainted) in gen cases) are so nearly gen that you can no longer simply dismiss them out-of-hand as non-gens. The line has blurred. And I say that having been a TZ member for more than 10 years (I preceded their Rolex Mods B) ).

Because so many of the watches have survived & so few original inserts have accompanied them, even to the hard-core TZ (& VRF) elitists, a 6542 with an aftermarket (or later gen version) insert is often acceptable. Therefore, exceptions are often made for this model.

The fact is that some of our frankens (those powered by gen motors behind gen dials (even if repainted) in gen cases) are so nearly gen that you can no longer simply dismiss them out-of-hand as non-gens. The line has blurred. And I say that having been a TZ member for more than 10 years (I preceded 2 of their Rolex Mods B) ).

I agree entirely, but as above, try posting the watch on a gen forum and seeing how well it goes down ;) From what I've seen of the behavior on such forums, there'd be some initial 'ooohs and ahhs', some yahoo would then call it out as a fake, and then it would all descend into a witchhunt and name-calling... I quite agree, the kind of watches you're discussing should still receive the kudos from someone who is a genuine watch enthusiast, and viewing them as 'a watch', sadly, the attitudes I've seen on those forums seem to be somewhat 'blinkered' ;) Either way, it's still a fine build and a historically interesting piece :drinks: