When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT1680 Vs Josh 1680

Sipha

I'm stuck between these 2 watches, I'm not looking to build a superfranken beast really, just have something reasonably accurate out of the box and that I can lightly mod/vintagize and wear.

First off, I'm attracted by the price point Red 1680 that josh has with a 2813 installed. Could I straight swap this out for a 2836-2/2824-2 if/when it craps out ?

To me the Josh sub actually looks closer to Gen than the PT out of the box. But I'm no expert. CG's dont bother me much I can live with that, I would change the insert for Gen and put on a Gen crown thats about it.

Which should I go for ???

Edited by Sipha

I'm stuck between these 2 watches, I'm not looking to build a superfranken beast really, just have something reasonably accurate out of the box and that I can lightly mod/vintagize and wear.

First off, I'm attracted by the price point Red 1680 that josh has with a 2813 installed. Could I straight swap this out for a 2836-2/2824-2 if/when it craps out ?

To me the Josh sub actually looks closer to Gen than the PT out of the box. But I'm no expert. CG's dont bother me much I can live with that, I would change the insert for Gen and put on a Gen crown thats about it.

Which should I go for ???

I have Josh's 1680. I trimmed the crown down to a not so fat look and I like the watch. I Actually, converted mine to a 5513, but that is neither here nor there.

I also drilled my lugholes and modified the bracelet...somewhat.

Changing from an Asian-made 2813 to an ETA movement, of any type, is not a straight-forward project. The dial feet are in different positions and the hands are different sizes.

Duck_dial1.jpg

on_back.jpg

Edited by preacher62

What I like about the PT1680 is the Swiss 2846-2 movement. If you trim the cg's, and install a gen crown, you have a pretty decent rep. Better yet if you install a gen insert. And you can always get it serviced and then it should be fine for 5 years or so.

The Josh 1680 is OK, but you're taking your chances with the asian 21j and the cg's are stubby, but if you trim up the insides of the cg's, you'll get by.

I guess you have to look at it from the point of view of how long you're going to wear the watch- a few months, get Josh. A few years, get PT.

They both have plusses and minuses. IMHO the biggest minus on the PT side is difficulty in swapping crystals and the biggest minus on the cartel side is the stumpy CGs...

You can not easily replace an Asia 21j movement with a swiss clone or gen swiss movement. The dial attachments are in different locations and the hands' mounting holes are different sizes.

So .. no. You can not drop in swiss when the A21j dies.

You could drop in another a21j tho .. for $16 USD from the shops :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hello

sorry that i write in this posting.

but i must ask where to hell i can the 21j or highbeat movement for 16$???:)

my movement from naarikas noobmariner is damage and i search for a spare one...

can anyone say me where i can one???

iam in the eu:)

greetz

www.cousinsuk.com

might not be $16, but it should be reasonable

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/12/0/2473.aspx

just enter DG2813, and it should come up for 9.95 pounds- which I guess is around $16usd

My 1680 came from Josh last year when he introduced the models with the "reconditioned" ETA 2846. A while back I bought a gen 1680 clasp buckle with the hopes that it would fit right on the rep bracelet. Unfortunately it's not 1:1. The flip lock does accomodate--so eventually I may try to find a correct style bracelet that will but in the meantime, it's quite a nice watch even without any mods mentioned above.

Did you take a cheese grater to that crystal?

Ha! I know it's hard to believe, but the watch does not look like that in person. I set it up under a lamp with the light shining across the crystal to show up the "age". You have to hold the watch to the light to see the scratches. I have a Bulova Snorkel that I bought on Okinawa in 1968 and have been using it since. The crystal looks about like that.