When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

702 & 703 Crowns - How do you tell which is which?

redwatch

I have a crown & tube set here that I found in my parts bin. Pretty positive that they are gen, but I can't tell if it's supposed to be a 702 or 703? Of course I could use the search function, but since it is limited to needing more than three characters it's hard to search for 703 and come up with something useful.

I have taken several pics of the crown & tube. Experts.... can you tell me what these are?

3e64d7db.jpg

403db468.jpg

77d3a4bb.jpg

230c036d.jpg

18239255.jpg

e4be4ebf.jpg

a574b77c.jpg

5dc853d2.jpg

Red-

You actually have what's termed as a '704' monobloc crown with a 7030 tube.

Below are a 702(L) and 703®:

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Essentially, both are of a wrapped style, where you have the core crown that is wrapped in an SS shell. You can see the crimping at the inner edge of the crown/serrations.

The 702 is an older style 'Triplock'- It is missing the exterior gasket on the tube, and is instead flanged at the end like so:

IMG_0830.jpg

As such, the threading for the crown goes all the way to the opening.

The 703 has the exterior gasket on the tube and hence only has threading that goes to the halfway point on the interior of the crown. This is to clear the gasket.

Both crowns have long style coronets, whereas the 704 monobloc has the short, squat coronet like you have.

704:

IMG_3124.jpg

Hope this helps...

Red-

You actually have what's termed as a '704' monobloc crown with a 7030 tube.

Now what one earth would that have been used for? I was wondering why the shaft diameter of the crown was so much thicker than any other crown/tube set I had here!

Now what one earth would that have been used for? I was wondering why the shaft diameter of the crown was so much thicker than any other crown/tube set I had here!

Well, the 704 crown supercedes the 703- It fits the 7030 tube just fine (as it's meant to). I used to consider these to be just newer 703's because of this, but I now feel that the 704 term is more appropriate (justasgood provided education on this).

Just saw the 704 monoblock like in Ubi's pic on the watch (dots farther away) on a BRAND NEW 14060M @ Ben Bridge Jewelers. I am guessing RSC will be moving onto these on future sub service. They are backwards compatible with the 703 tubes.

Here is the same on my 1680 build:

9a25pwp1010444.jpg

Well, the 704 crown supercedes the 703- It fits the 7030 tube just fine (as it's meant to). I used to consider these to be just newer 703's because of this, but I now feel that the 704 term is more appropriate (justasgood provided education on this).

So is there a difference between the 7030 tube and the 703?

Just saw the 704 monoblock like in Ubi's pic on the watch (dots farther away) on a BRAND NEW 14060M @ Ben Bridge Jewelers. I am guessing RSC will be moving onto these on future sub service. They are backwards compatible with the 703 tubes.

I have a gen 703 tube & crown on my noobmariner and this crown does not fit at all. The shaft diameter is bigger.

So is there a difference between the 7030 tube and the 703?

I have a gen 703 tube & crown on my noobmariner and this crown does not fit at all. The shaft diameter is bigger.

24-7030-0 is just the p/n for the tube that goes with the 24-703 crown.

IMG_9268.jpg

The 7030 tube (and aftermarket 7030 tubes) should fit the '704' crown just fine.

Are you sure you don't have a BK Crown/Tube on the noob? That would explain it. Same with some of the MBW stuff.

I have a Clark "Gen Spec" 703 tube here, that will accept both a crimped 703 Crown and a Monoblock 704... ???

Are you sure you don't have a BK Crown/Tube on the noob? That would explain it. Same with some of the MBW stuff.

I have a Clark "Gen Spec" 703 tube here, that will accept both a crimped 703 Crown and a Monoblock 704... ???

Well now I am not so sure :g: It was sold to me as having a gen 703 crown & tube.

Upon checking it, it is definitely not gen :(

Oh well, I guess the 704 and 7030 would work well for something else. Maybe I'll install them into my 14060 from JMB :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Actually, upon further investigation, I was mistaken (thank goodness I keep a record of each purchase that I made!). This particular noob sub that I am rebuilding did NOT come with a gen crown and tube. It was a different sub that I sold a while back. It was a euromariner and it had a ton of mods done to it.

Thanks for the input folks! It was sure helpful :D

I could use the search function, but since it is limited to needing more than three characters it's hard to search for 703 and come up with something useful.

Google search with the magic keywords site:www.rwgforum.com and your search will be limited to this web site only. Use as few characters as you wish ;)

For instance ... site:www.rwgforum.com 703 702 difference

Google search with the magic keywords site:www.rwgforum.com and your search will be limited to this web site only. Use as few characters as you wish ;)

For instance ... site:www.rwgforum.com 703 702 difference

Thanks J. I actually know that trick as well, and while it does work, all I was able to find in the first two google pages was FS threads or WTB threads ;)