When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi I'm New Around Here...

So up until 2 or 3 weeks ago I had always thought of "fake rolexs" as those cheapo Casio's with "Rolodex" stamped on the face... then on a recent trip to visit family in China I came across a box of decent looking ones at a street bazarr type deal...

They struck me as being very decent looking watches (despite the obviouse origins of them) and I picked up a couple that I liked. Bear in mind that these were not bought under the best conditions (I was probably the only Chinese person in China who didn't speak so it made bargaining hard, my family was not happy about me blowing hundreds of Chinese dollars - which could have bought us some really nice meals, and the day I reserved for shopping at the end got rained out giving me very few options) and I really knew nothing about replicas when buying these (if only I had found this site a week earlier... I wonder how many people make that statement their mantra?) and I am well aware they are not nearly up to snuff for most people here.

I have become interested and will probably pick up a few nicer reps from around here (I don't wear jewlery so watches are the only way I have to accesorize and reps makes it affordable to do so with nice looking ones) but for now these guys are serving well (and giving my Citizen daily beater a little time off). I have probably committed every watch picture faux paus there is out there as I do regular physical work while wearing my watches (so they are scuffed up already) and I don't have any polishing stuff so they are just wiped on my shirt...

Anyhow first up: Rolex Daytona

It's automatic, and was the first one I bought. I thought the second hand swept reasonbly well and didn't know about the improper dials at the time (although now I actually think they ones it has are more useful to me than the real chrono dials).

135371-18299.jpg

135371-18300.jpg

135371-18301.jpg

135371-18302.jpg

Now here is a Breitling Navigator

I got it on my last day (I had hoped to pick up a few more but most of the stands were rained out so my choices were slim). First I looked at an automatic but it didn't have a working chrono and I made the newb mistake of having this one shown to me with working chrono and not making the connection that it was a quartz... in the car on the way home I made the unpleasant discovery after unscrewing the back and finding a battery, but after getting over that nasty feeling and the realization that it's blatently inaccurate in many ways, I still like the watch... my friends have commented on how nice it looks (I have no friends who know anything about watches other than Rolex is fancy and you can buy some watches at WalMart) and for all they know Breitling is a totally made up name so the fakeness isn't an issue.

135371-18303.jpg

135371-18304.jpg

135371-18305.jpg

135371-18306.jpg

135371-18307.jpg

135371-18308.jpg

Both watches are fairly heavy with the Rolex I imagine being quite near genuine (I will see about finding a scale at some point). I have never heald a Breitling and I imagine the real ones are heaver but everyone I have handed it too comments on how heavy it is and how solid it feels...

So while I would rather have really nice 96% reps, I think for a newbs entrance into reps they are decent... what do you think?

Edited by Devedander

It works out to about $22 for the Rolex and about $45 for the Breitling... I know I didn't get a good deal, but I figure most people make a mistake on their way into replicas... so if I consider those my mistakes I don't have to kick myself too hard....

And thanks for the warm welcome! I have a feeling this hobbie is going to cost me a lot and fast...

Edited by Devedander

Thanks! After getting over the "Damn my watches are bad reps" stage I have come to like them since I liked how they looked when I bought them anyway.

I was visiting Dalian City, this is pretty much exactly where I got them...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=k&om=1

See those little colored circles (looks kind of like little marbles or grapes)?

Under one of those :) (Hope I don't get anyone arrested :o )

Yeah, I really feel bad for that guy who spent $1300 on a watch from swissreplicas or whatever... if I could have it to do all over again I would put my money towards a noobmariner or even save up towards a nice breitling (which I am really leaning towards all the same)...

And in the end, they still look good to me, despite "flaws" and they both keep good time... my quartz Citizen chrono cost me near $200 so in the end I can't feel too ripped off...

Yeah I am really interested in what the good ones are like... I was pretty impressed even with my cheapos in terms of quality (they seem better than what I could get for $20-50 at most dept stores).

jnkay - thanks! No one who knows me would believe I dropped thousands on a real Rolex so I got over the fakeness fast and now just enjoy the nice looking watch I bought.

And in the end, they still look good to me, despite "flaws" and they both keep good time... my quartz Citizen chrono cost me near $200 so in the end I can't feel too ripped off...

This is a good example as to how the general public or non-wis which make up 99.999% of the worlds population view high end watches. Most people will look at this $22 rolex daytona as a "nice watch", ALL of us here will have a coronary if the date font on our Audemars Piquet (which most people never heard of anyway) is misaligned by .001mm. We are quite a rare breed here but that is what makes it fun. For me it is the thrill of the chase and recieveing that exotic looking package with chinese writing on it.

Most of us has had to have bought one of these sometime in the past. I know when I paid $200 for a similiar looking daytona I was ecstatic and wore the thing to death.

WElcome to the board - the watches here are all about enjoying them - if you enjoy your reps, thats what is important.

Frankly, you didn't get a bad deal for canal street - :) they would probably have asked for like 60 or 70 bucks for the daytona - and you could talk em down to 40.

and as far as citizen goes - still one of my favorite watches.

Welcome, enjoy

Yeah despite a crap bracelet that binds all over and pins that seem fail if I get them wet (which sucks for a waterproof watch) I still really like my citizen. It keeps great time (it's quartz) and it's just nice enough looking to be eye catching but not at all out of place doing anything day to day. It was my first "Real" watch and will always hold a place for that...

Glad to hear I didn't get soaked on these reps then... being in China I think I should have been able to beat canal street prices but then again I wasn't actually in Guanzhou.

I get expensive hobbies like nobodies business and already have 3 jobs to cover hobbies... I alot myself about $2k a year to play with and keep myself entertained... this years was mostly eaten up by home theater stuff but I think I know where the last few hundred is going...

Yeah despite a crap bracelet that binds all over and pins that seem fail if I get them wet (which sucks for a waterproof watch) I still really like my citizen. It keeps great time (it's quartz) and it's just nice enough looking to be eye catching but not at all out of place doing anything day to day. It was my first "Real" watch and will always hold a place for that...

Glad to hear I didn't get soaked on these reps then... being in China I think I should have been able to beat canal street prices but then again I wasn't actually in Guanzhou.

I get expensive hobbies like nobodies business and already have 3 jobs to cover hobbies... I alot myself about $2k a year to play with and keep myself entertained... this years was mostly eaten up by home theater stuff but I think I know where the last few hundred is going...

which citizen do you have? mine is pictured in my sig, i've never had a problem with the band.

its a great watch that keeps great time, solar powered - and mine has perpetual calender. i love it. beach, work in the garage anything that i don't want to wear a rep for fear of damage - out comes my trusty citzen . only real downside i have found is, the crystal isn't saphire so, i have some chips in it.

adds to the character of the watch ;)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes

Actually got it from Sears originally (actually original one was lost a few years ago, GF got a replacement for my bday a while back). The bracelet is "chunky" as in it doesn't bent smoothly like a snake, the links move a little bit, then a little pressure and they pop past a sticky point and bend the rest of the way. Pop back too. I think the corners between links rub just enough to keep it from being smooth (both mine have acted the same way which makes me believe it's just an issue with the watch).

The last link is really sticky but it doesn't need to move much.

Also they are odd links, they have metal wrapped around them longwise (as in a 12 to 6 oclock direction not across the bracelet) and it seems to be just pressed around, it is comming off a little on the ones near the face... not sure how to explain it, maybe will put a picture up later.

Overall I am not horribly impressed with the quality of the workmanship, and indeed my crystal has quite a few fine scratches on it and is anything but scratch resistant.

All the same, it's got a special place just because it was my first "real" watch :)

Edited by Devedander