When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've designed a dial, anyone know where I can get it made?

Junglecat

It's actually a bastardised clock face but I think it's quite interesting. Will probably need to be about 37mm. Anyone know anywhere which will make up custom designs for you (I only want one).

Also, I'll be using a 6497, do you think it's ok to not have a seperate dial/markings at 9 o'clock but still have the second hand, or do you think it'd look a bit strange? Also could be too crowded to be able to be made into a watch dial, I'm not sure.

Hope some of this makes sense, I'm a total watch noob and never put anything together before really :), so any help is greatly appreciated! Also I'm aware that I have terrible taste, it's just a bit of fun :D

post-39350-0-02225200-1313961117.jpg

Edited by Junglecat

It's actually a bastardised clock face but I think it's quite interesting. Will probably need to be about 37mm. Anyone know anywhere which will make up custom designs for you (I only want one).

Also, I'll be using a 6497, do you think it's ok to not have a seperate dial/markings at 9 o'clock but still have the second hand, or do you think it'd look a bit strange? Also could be too crowded to be able to be made into a watch dial, I'm not sure.

Hope some of this makes sense, I'm a total watch noob and never put anything together before really :), so any help is greatly appreciated! Also I'm aware that I have terrible taste, it's just a bit of fun :D

You can incorporate a mini dial for the seconds hand, it'll look cool! Same as the dial but reduced. A free second hand would look very out of place aesthetically.

You can incorporate a mini dial for the seconds hand, it'll look cool! Same as the dial but reduced. A free second hand would look very out of place aesthetically.

Do you think thats better? Nothings lined up/scaled properly by the way yet :D.

post-39350-0-76866200-1313968695.jpg

Edited by Junglecat

a little suggestion from my side: I would make the markers on the "outside" ring half-hour markers and line them up with the numerals! would make everything more balanced and they would have a function!

but maybe that's just my view,

cheers, tim

That's a great idea Tim, I will try it out for sure :). This is just a VERY rough draft at the moment whilst I'm still trying to figure out if I can get it made somewhere :).

Nice work. I think the inner track of indices is a little redundant. Perhaps if you substitute the numerals with just markers or something else. I would leave the outer and incorporate the seconds dial like you have a few posts back.

One way to make a one-of would be to get your hands on a PAM sandwich dial. Use the backing plate (less lume of course) and paint it white. Then make a waterslide decal of the pattern you end up with as a final design. A bit more work on your end but the cost would be very little.

Every iteration looks better and better. There are some really beautiful guilloche dials for 6497/6498 that I found with google, very elegant and you could probably use them as a basis.

I have a really cool idea for the inner dial, I'll draw something up and send it to you, it's hard to explain :) but it's heading in the right place.

Hi everyone,

thanks very much to everybody for their input and kind words :). I agree that the inner numerals are a bit pointless but still not sure what to do there yet! Sounds like its going to be difficult to get just one made, I found a company in the UK that says that can produce one offs but they havn't got back to me yet with a rough estimate. If it's ridiculously expensive, I may have a go at printing it myself.

I'm liking the guilloche idea very much though!

Bit simpler maybe.

Def. better without the inner circle.

I didn't quite see the point in the first place ...

Unless of course you'd shorten one of the hands. Meaning that the inner Ring would have markings for hours and the outer one displayed minutes or vice versa ... I'd reckon that could actually be quite cool.

I didn't quite see the point in the first place ...

Unless of course you'd shorten one of the hands. Meaning that the inner Ring would have markings for hours and the outer one displayed minutes or vice versa ... I'd reckon that could actually be quite cool.

That's what I was going to do originally but it looked a bit too 'busy'. I think you are right about getting rid of them to be honest :)

Im interested in your progress

I want to do it too!

nerd-clock-23282-1233334540-12.jpg

:) that dial is cool!

Have managed to get a few ball park figures in the UK in the last two days. All I can say is WOW, ridiculously expensive. I think I'm going to have to put this idea on hold until I have the time to try and make it up myself :(.

Edited by Junglecat