When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bike suggestions - Honda, Yamaha or what....?

LeSentier

Gents,

In the next two weeks I will probably receive my driving license for motorcycles. I thought with nearly 40 years it's time to start a new Hobby.

I am looking for something retro, masculine, easy to drive and reliable.

Some people suggested a Yamaha XVS 1100 Drag Star, others recommended a Honda Seven Fifty (CB 750 1993-2003).

I am not a fan of racing bikes, super moto or enduro - it should be a retro naked bike, or a cruiser. No need for speed, just relaxed cruising.

Tried both, like both!

Has anyone of you experience with those bikes, or some other recommendations for me?

Another thing is for sure - to finance this bike, my gn concepta Mark XVI has to go...:-(

Thanks in advance,

J

I would recommend a harley 1200 sportster or a dyna street bob shop around and you will be surprised at the price you can get them at a mate of mine just bought a street bob brand new in the uk for£10000 Compare that to the Price in € it was a big bargain

For your first bike I would definitely stay away from anything over 600cc. 750 tops. Even in the cruiser line. While they may not be the fastest the gobs of torque the larger cruisers have can get you into big trouble really quick. Too often I see new riders go for the big bikes before they have really learned how to ride. It rarely ends well. If you want a naked bike that sits between a sport bike and a cruiser then I would recommend the following:

Suzuki SV650

2008-suzuki-sv650-2_460x0w.jpg

Yamaha FZ6

2007-yamaha-fz6-13_460x0w.jpg

Both are well mannered but will giddyup when you want. Insurance is quite reasonable. They can be had second hand for not too bad a price. If these are not the style you are looking for there are others out there in either direction.

Ducati GT1000 would be a dream to ride. Comfortable, sporty and unusual. Also, the HD 1200 as previously suggested would be a solid runner. Can even go with some of their "themed" bikes. Black out, etc...

I ride a CB350 cafe racer styled and love it. My wife has a kawasaki ZX6r(600 sports bike) and I like that one too, but only on short trips.

E

Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions. I am also (of course) interested in the HD bikes, but they are somewhat expensive and exotic here in Austria. I also like the style of the 1200 sportster, and of course the Vrod, but I don´t think the vrod is a beginners bike.

I also appreciate the advice regarding the 600-750 ccm - I think they are easier to ride than the "larger ones".

Diavel and Triumph are very nice, but I want to live a little longer...

Difficult choice...

Thank you community for your all of your input!

Best,J

• 3 weeks later...