When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Tudor Snowflake Dial - Release Candidate

jmb

I think I've finally found the right decal paper, got the artwork about as close as I'm able, and didn't mess the lume up too bad. :whistling: This is ready to go into a watch so maybe my Cartel 5512 will cease to be a 5512 in the near future. It would already be installed if I have any "axe hands" that would fit an a21j.

I can make this decal in whatever size is needed according to the case the dial would be going into. Since this is a clear decal with white "printing" it can go over whatever color background you can dream up so the possibilities are practically endless. This particular one is a bit over 26mm but I've made them up to 29mm and everything scales perfectly. I have lumed it with Glow, Inc V10 watch lume that has been slightly tinted and the finish is "flat".

This is the "final release candidate" version of the decal so please let me know if you see any glaring issues and I'll fix them if I'm able to.

post-24124-0-00729800-1314915572.jpg

This is more or less a "sandwich". From bottom up you have a dial blank, coat of gloss black paint, the decal, a couple coats of top-coat, lume, then one last spray of "Dull-Cote" too give it a nice flat finish.

Huh I'm not getting it...I mean great effort but still a long way off looking gen like.

I agree!

I think the layout and fonts etc. are very nice, but the printing is somewhat too blurry and "smudgy".

I mean, it kind of looks "home-made" (which it is and for that it is nice.)

Are those the limitations of decal printing?

it's really the limitation of the printer itself. You'd got to give credit to the alps printer dye sublimation that's 10 years old. Even my new epson nx420 inkjet printer that has a resolution of 5700x1440 pixels with a droplet size of 3 pico liter cannot reproduce my artwork with 100% acuity under the loupe. With the naked eye, it looks passable with minor differences (can only tell if you're a wis like me). Which is why I'm debating myself whether or not to get the epson 1400 which costs around $200 with the only difference that it can drop 1.5 pico liter of ink but have the same resolution. well, maybe in a few years from now I'll get an image setter XD.

Edited by praetor

That's my second lume job so maybe it will get better some day... But, it glows like a torch!

Maybe I shouldn't have posted a 20x magnified image as that will show flaws in anything. Here is the same shot except a bit more reasonable magnification... I'm more worried about the basic composition and glaring accuracy flaws as once it gets to "life size" it looks very passable.

I see that the "S" in Submariner and the T SWISS T need a bit of work but this is the frustrating part as they look perfect in Autocad so it will take some playing around to get the printed image to lookk the best.

post-24124-0-64146900-1315009486.jpg

That puts it in better perspective smaller like that......but I thought it looked good anyway.

If I picture that dial...smaller, aged vintage slightly, hands over it, in a case w crystal over it... you get the idea.

It's gonna look great J! And I know where that one needs to go!

:)