When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Brevet Crown sub

bones

Silix case reshaped, edges softened.

Caseback given wear marks and re-polished

Case Re-polished going from 250 grit down to 9 micron jewelers paper and finally on buffing wheel with green polishing compound

8mm Brevet Crown

Clarks bezel insert minus pearl

Clarks 1.8mm Shoulderless springbars

Silix Rivet bracelet given wear and tear

Dial and hands aged, given bubbled tritium look.

Plexi crystal re-shaped by hand then re-polished with Polywatch

Qfo0p.jpg

IiJbx.jpg

qvvi2.jpg

A4T1S.jpg

jOtJj.jpg

And with a slightly different dial and hand set.

TwrCf.jpg

bZiDQ.jpg

zibFv.jpg

I must say, out of all the builds I've done so far, this was not only the most fun, but definitely my favourite. I've got another 6538 case ready for working on, but im away for a week from monday so wont get a chance to do anything to it till i get back. Have to say though, even though its kind of wrong, I prefer the second dial/hand combo.

Edited by bones

1 of the best I have seen, but, as is, this falls just short of perfect. At this level, I would toss that crummy, fake-looking bracelet (get a Yuki or gen) & install the proper second hand. That would put it over the top. Still :good:

Well thank you, that's high praise indeed. The bracelet was always going to be a detractor unfortunately. But as always budget is the main issue. A yuki bracelet is more than the sum of the watch. The seconds hand I knew would divide opinion (ie me on one side and everyone else on the other ;) ) But i'll take your comments on board. Thanks again :D

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

I built one of these Cartel subs last winter. It is one of my favorite watches and Im wearing it as we speak! I had a little trouble with my bezel though. Next to impossible to get it back on. Looks just like yours, except I have a Yuki bracelet on mine. Its worth the money trust me. Get one.

Very nice!

I built one of these Cartel subs last winter. It is one of my favorite watches and Im wearing it as we speak! I had a little trouble with my bezel though. Next to impossible to get it back on. Looks just like yours, except I have a Yuki bracelet on mine. Its worth the money trust me. Get one.

I had a lot of issues getting the bezels back on these subs. Basically any of the ones with the retaining spring. But i've learned that forcing it into the gap usually locks the bezel in place. You can actually clip all but the last little section in with your hands.