When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss ETA 2836-2 Am I missing something?

zaza

Hey Folks, forgive my confusion but I'm new to all this. I bought a DSSD Swiss ETA 2836-2 from a trusted dealer on this forum. I wound up the crown for like 5 rotations, wore it then went out to the movies.

the watch worked seamlessly, but the hands stopped sweeping as soon as I took it off!

I know that being automatic, the watch has no battery, but isn't it supposed to be self-winding by the movement of your wrist? with 40hrs power reserve? Meaning it should still be ticking for 30-40 hours even after you take it off, or do I have the whole concept upside down?

Where did I go wrong?

Please advise.

Edited by zaza

The first thing you shoud remember is to not hand wind your rep. It's best you swivel or gently rotate/shake the watch,listen for the spin of the rotor. I would try this method and see how the watch responds. If you are still having problems then there is a good chance that the movement may need to be serviced. ,good luck.:) Mike

[The first thing you shoud remember is to not hand wind your rep. It's best you swivel or gently rotate/shake the watch,listen for the spin of the rotor. I would try this method and see how the watch responds. If you are still having problems then there is a good chance that the movement may need to be serviced. ,good luck.:) Mike

Hello Max!

You mean I shouldn't wind the Crown of my Rep?

and What about the 40 Hr power reserve? what does it mean precisely and how is it counted?

Thanks for your help :)

Come on! It's a Swiss ETA. If you can't wind it why would they make it that way. I understand the A7750's problem since it's got crap winding gears..

In my opinion, (take it or leave it), you should wind it fully about 40 times when it's totally dead. Just go slow and steady. Then let the kinetic movement of your wrist keep it wound.

You wound it 5 times from dead stop and then went to the movies and sat there. Then took it off. Why would you expect it to keep running?

40 hours power reserve is from fully wound.

Come on! It's a Swiss ETA. If you can't wind it why would they make it that way. I understand the A7750's problem since it's got crap winding gears..

In my opinion, (take it or leave it), you should wind it fully about 40 times when it's totally dead. Just go slow and steady. Then let the kinetic movement of your wrist keep it wound.

You wound it 5 times from dead stop and then went to the movies and sat there. Then took it off. Why would you expect it to keep running?

But the rest of the parts are not Swiss,crown, tube,ect. Although some will say that this has nothing to do with the movement,It does have something to do with engaging the movement. Has It been conifermed to be a actual eta 2836?,just saying. Im not 100%sure but I feel that because of this It is safer to not hand wind,I could be wrong.

Hey Maxman, I'm sure there's no right and wrong on this subject. I've heard on the rep forums for years not to wind your watches. I've also read many times on gen forums that it's totally acceptable to wind them. Even the manufacturers web sites will tell you to wind them when first putting them on.

I've owned many automatic watches in the last 40 years and have never hurt one winding it. Two exception, as far as winding, are the Seiko movements since they don't manually wind and it often pisses me off when they have a tendency to stop when you don't wear them consistently enough to get the power reserve up. And the other is the 7750, which also has a tendency to stop even when worn after a few days. I still wind them, although very slowly and carefully, about every five days or so. I also no longer have any A7750 movement watches that haven't been completely serviced and doubt if I'll get any more due to their poor quality control as they come out of the factory.

Your problem is that you went to the movies! That means you were sitting perfectly still for 2+ hours .. the watch did not get wound at all. An ETA movement watch needs about 800 rotations of it's rotor **per day** to remain fully wound.

That is easily accomplished by a semi-active person while swinging their arms as they walk.

If you sit still all day ... your watch will never wind itself.

If you wind it by the crown, consider 1 full turn to equal an hour of run time .. up to approximately 40 hours.

Awesome! too much information to grasp here.

I'm gonna read your answers over and over again!

KBH, Kjay and MAXMAN! thanks a lot folks!

Just on the side, does this forum accept donations? Id love to return the favor with a contribution.

Best

LOL, I don't know.. I thought that since my arm was moving and all.. but I guess Kjay had it right when he mentioned that the timepiece cannot wind itself if you sit perfectly still for 3 hrs in the movies. Now everything is starting to make sense to me :)

Can you guys verify the authenticity of my Swiss movement should I provide you with pictures of the inside of the watch?

Best,

Hey Maxman, I'm sure there's no right and wrong on this subject. I've heard on the rep forums for years not to wind your watches. I've also read many times on gen forums that it's totally acceptable to wind them. Even the manufacturers web sites will tell you to wind them when first putting them on.

I've owned many automatic watches in the last 40 years and have never hurt one winding it. Two exception, as far as winding, are the Seiko movements since they don't manually wind and it often pisses me off when they have a tendency to stop when you don't wear them consistently enough to get the power reserve up. And the other is the 7750, which also has a tendency to stop even when worn after a few days. I still wind them, although very slowly and carefully, about every five days or so. I also no longer have any A7750 movement watches that haven't been completely serviced and doubt if I'll get any more due to their poor quality control as they come out of the factory.

Fair enough.:) We all have different ways we like to do things because of are experences. For example,I have had very good luck with my 7750's,many here have not. I also just sold my DSSD with the 2836,with a few spins of the rotor Is was good on my wrist(and off) for many hours. I guess we find what works best for us and go with It.

Awesome! too much information to grasp here.

I'm gonna read your answers over and over again!

KBH, Kjay and MAXMAN! thanks a lot folks!

Just on the side, does this forum accept donations? Id love to return the favor with a contribution.

Best

Sure RWG excepts donations,you can upgrade your membership or make a donation of your choosing. Thats how we keep this awesome community going. Just look up :victory: Mike