When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 201a with a New FGD Dial..

ebzen02

Okay.. these new FGD dials are the funk!! Looky at my 201a.. It's on a croc/gator, so for the purist please excuse but I needed a change this week..

Specs..

FGD Dial (new batch)

FGD hands

BigMatt Xtal

111j Reshaped by me

Jacob CB

CG..I am not sure, but it is nice

Swiss ETA 6497

t48 crown with tube mod

Here are the pics..

6122152945_484f070cd6_b.jpg

6122294719_a8c2822187_b.jpg

6122856392_e0b65a28dd_b.jpg

6122328643_c95d15789e_b.jpg

6122484547_ce9664f1ab_b.jpg

6123052398_d92d445fbb_b.jpg

6122521337_d68c45089c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. This latest batch is the best I have seen. The markers are deep and he painted and varnished them-- really gen like! Although, the indices do not glow, I would not relume it-- it just looks way good, and to be honestly, I am not sure that a gen would even glow all that much..

I bought as part of a group run led by Mattusss over at www.wrist-check.com. He only had 3 of these dials and is currently sold out. Not sure who else is selling this latest run. I know that production was very limited.. II would check with MartyD

Fantastic build, please let me know if you ever wish to part with it as I would be interested!! Guess that makes me 1st on the list, LOL!!

BTW, I have to agree that the NEW dial looks amazing and because of the depth of the numerals it seems to look MORE gen-like than previous versions. I also agree that leaving it UNLUMED is the way to go as the already-painted and varnished numerals and dial needs nothing more!!

Edited by squashlovernk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

very nice work !!! I am currently building my own 201/A but i have an older FGD dial. it does not look like a well manicured dial, the indices are kind of crystaly lume and jagged like the Gen 201a but it isnt the correct color for the lume "reaction" that occured in the early 201's .My case is an old old old rep case completely reshaped with the low bezel like the gen unlike the newer 40deg chamfer on ther current reps that are correct for all of the post 97' watches.. the Pre-V hands i have are kind of off white more on the yellowish side.. when i see your watch lol im thinking i may have took the wrong approach to my project. I have to say you have built an amazing watch here !!!

how do i get my hands on the FGD stuff ? I have a lot of it but i bought from others..... is there a website ? i know hes a member but i need some parts : ) ... also needing a non roller CG to reshape for the pre-v contour.

cheers ! and congrats on the amazing build !

very nice work !!! I am currently building my own 201/A but i have an older FGD dial. it does not look like a well manicured dial, the indices are kind of crystaly lume and jagged like the Gen 201a but it isnt the correct color for the lume "reaction" that occured in the early 201's .My case is an old old old rep case completely reshaped with the low bezel like the gen unlike the newer 40deg chamfer on ther current reps that are correct for all of the post 97' watches.. the Pre-V hands i have are kind of off white more on the yellowish side.. when i see your watch lol im thinking i may have took the wrong approach to my project. I have to say you have built an amazing watch here !!!

how do i get my hands on the FGD stuff ? I have a lot of it but i bought from others..... is there a website ? i know hes a member but i need some parts : ) ... also needing a non roller CG to reshape for the pre-v contour.

cheers ! and congrats on the amazing build !

Well it sounds like you have a FGD dial that has been re-lumed. Crystraly and jagged isn't like gen, it's a sign of unskilled lume application. I think you're best bet would be to put up a WTB for a untouched FGD 201/A dial. When you receive it, you can get a nice finish on it by applying Tamiya TS-79 clear-coat. It will give you a gen-like subtle texture and sheen.

Your off white hands are fine for your build as those would be the right ingredient for what is referred to as a non-matching version of the 201/A watch. So you are good to go on that.

For a CG that will be fine you might check with DSN and order one of his newborn Pre-V CG's. Although not exactly 1:1 it has the "look" that says Pre-V.

Good luck on your project!

ahh i see and thank you for directing me to this reply... yea i found out after a little research my dial is actually an old DSN dial with crystaly lume applied .. it looks kind of cool but i truly love your FGD dial .. well your whole watch !!!! I have been doing a lot of research and only now starting to build my own pam's .. i really appreciate your PM directing me to this as it is very useful knowledge !

Like i said I have some old school case sets that i have reshaped to Pre-V .. kind of rough as a first try but its all by hand ; P ... I used a H factory CG and used the lever from an old (6 years old) rep and installed it into the H-fac CG and reshaped the contour flair on the top to a more rounded shape like the pre-v's... it turned out quite well.. either way i can see myself spending a lot of time on the panerai section here looking for help and pointers ( not that i ahve not been here a lot, just will ne making more of a presence) ... once i assemble the 201A i have in the works now im going to post .. i know there are flaws ( dial and hands ) but ill be looking for feedback on the case work..

Im in the process of ordering a 201a and a 202a case set from david sen right now and just bought two unitas 6497's for the projects ... ill have to put up like you said a WTB for the dials ... is there any way to get my hands on FGD stuff direct ? does he stock any stuff or only limited production runs ?

Ohh and if i forgot to mention .... i absolutely love how your time piece turned out..

cheers!

Clet

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...