When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Verifying Swiss Eta 2824-2

peterpl

Hi All,

I have just recieved a watch and i'm unable to tell if this is a Genuwine Swiss ETA movement. I have been sold this watch as a Swiss ETA 2824-2 28800 bph movement and just want to confirm what I have paid for is what I have recieved.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/omega1p.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/omega2z.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/omega3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/omega5z.jpg

Cheers

Impossible to tell from those pictures I am afraid. Need to be able to see the shock spring on the balance. For that the pictures need to be much closer, higher resolution and in focus ;)

Also, there is now a new super-clone available with all the old tells corrected so now it is almost impossible to tell.

Oh Really?

So what do I have then? Most likely an Asian ETA clone?

If you bought it from a trusted dealer and it was advertised as a real ETA piece, then 98% chance it's real. They are not here to rip people off, and get thrown off the forums.

What he means is that ETA movements are most likely warehoused, and older .. not new from the swiss factory.

• 2 months later...

Well there's a load of nonsense.

No nonsense at all, Frank is talking about new eta's. Chances are slim indeed. Surplus recycled genuine ETA's or hybrids, possibly yes. Who knows the Selitas sold in replicas are in fact genuine?

Back in 2004 old timer Klink claimed the chinese had eta copy's. Nobody took him serious and the claim was ridiculed by many. Couple of years later turns out he was right.

Never assume anything in the rep game. Many if not most dealers are no watch movement experts and may be fooled themselves.

No nonsense at all, Frank is talking about new eta's.

Yep, nonsense. There are several dealers offering new ETAs whose movements have been verified by more members than I could even begin to count.

There are still lots of new ETAs out there - they are not rare, I could buy a hundred today from Ofrei, thousands from a wholesaler.

... I could buy a hundred today from Ofrei...

That part actually is not true. His stock fluctuates greatly. In fact when I was looking for a new 2824 last year he had none. I had to wait for a few months until he was able to get stock again. He even told me himself that getting new complete movements was getting more difficult. So while they may not necessarily be rare, they are getting harder to come by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

"Watch" what you want.. and know what exactly it is.. there is misinformation purposefully purported, and misinformation due to sloth,

indolence and arrogance..

for the real deal, would one rely upon a forum of replica WIS gents who rely on others? Perhaps, yet a reliable way is to seek outside

a rep forum. There is a world of information out there, some true, some not.. personal experience, knowledge and having pieces in had

tell the tale.  Unless one knows the exact source, the trail can go awry.. and where there is money to be made, will even a platoon of

Ofreis spend the time in question the dollars they stand to gain? 

There is more to this story than reaches they hands and eyes of most consumers.. and the trade is world wide..

lol

Life is Good!

Klink

I myself prefer to replace the rep movement with gen used eta movement from ebay for vintage watches i purchased 4 movements for 35usd shipped for me only way to guarantee gen movements , having said that i have purchased swiss eta reps and have had a few issues and purchased asian eta with no issues and keeping perfect time

a few months ago i ordered a couple of ceramic rolex subs and went for the best swiss clone movements the one is perfect no issues keeps perfect time while the other has the famous

clicking when winding by hand and very stiff crown also the movement was badly modded and damaged, the movement which is the heart of the watch is the only part not shown on so called QC photos i have had two times received a swiss eta watch with asian eta fitted we have to accept that these watches are replicas !

Edited by aeromatic

Ive never wanted the ability to block so badly as right now.

roflmao...

perhaps not so much as what was said by Jkay, rather to have a similar feeling on other subjects..

The boat only floats with enough water, and the right wind pushing ahead..

Life is Good!

(and thanks to Jkay!)

K.

Yep, nonsense. There are several dealers offering new ETAs whose movements have been verified by more members than I could even begin to count.

There are still lots of new ETAs out there - they are not rare, I could buy a hundred today from Ofrei, thousands from a wholesaler.

John, actually I don't see many Swiss mov'ts offered anymore. The BP factory does, but they are not new and are probably

Old recycled/hybrids. Most new Noob watches come with clone, SOMETIMES they have Swiss upgrades. But they are now super expensive, Check out Angus.

(I've seen them for more than $200! Bk sells them but we're now in the $600-700 range for a Sub. That's why a number of people are going with Seikos, and

lower priced Gens-IMO