When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Great Forum Great Info, But Still Need Advice

tonibari

Great web-site with lots of information; I have looked at replicas for a while, but never took the plunge. In my younger years I actually had a small collection of Chronos, mainly Sectors and still have two three around.

As all newbie I have a few questions regarding the watches I like and hopefully someone can point me in the right directions.

The first watch I have my eye on is the Sea-Master Professional (one of my all time favorite). From what I have read some of the main points to look out for are: The right length of the hands, the position of the He valve, the date wheel being black and the pearl on top to be concaved. Not sure, but I read in the OMEGA guides by bytor that there where nearly perfect reps of the Sea-Master Professional from the so called “Closed Factory”, assuming that there are none around of these how is the general feeling on the SMP reps right now? Many of the pictures from the dealers seem to have short hands and not the concaved pearl on top. (On a side note, I saw one with a Polar Swiss 25 jewels movement, how is the polar movement?)

The second one is the Omega Sea-Master Chronograph "James Bond"; don’t know much about the watch. It does look stunning.

Last but not least the TAG Link Chrono in Black. Another awesome looking watch and what I have read a pretty accurate rep.

So, if your were me which watch would you start a collection with? O boy I already know this forum will cost me money.

Toni

Hi Toni and welcome to RWG :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ok first question yes the best SMP's have been and gone but the new SMP chrono's are looking very nice indeed.

Two, yes the Omega Sea Master 'James Bond' is a stunning watch.

And three, get the grey Link instead :)

Now a quick warning.........watch out for the Pam's they will send you broke. :black_eye:

Ken :)

Welcome from me too!

I agree with Ken - the SMP Chrono looks great. Check a few reviews and most of the more seasoned members around here think it's 99% accurate!

I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) that most of then main dealers here have the same model.

JG

O boy I already know this forum will cost me money.

Toni

the first step in teh road to recovery is recognizing you have a problem.

Seeing as you haven't bought your first rep yet- technically you do not yet have a problem.

however, realizing by your post that you already know you "will" have a problem - i recomend buying as much up front as possible before you admit to having a problem, incur therapy costs - and use some sort of external force - handcuffs, straight jacket, wife, to slow your habbit.

i say get all of them :)

and - pick up a pam 177h while your at it -

Great research my friend - enjoy the site - there is an amazing amount of info here to be learned - looks like your off to a good start.

So, if your were me which watch would you start a collection with? O boy I already know this forum will cost me money.

What's your budget?

Usually, if you can start off with a watch you've always wanted, like your Seamaster, then you're much more likely to get a good one as you care about it.

I'd say go for the Omega SMP. It'll not be perfect, but it'll be damned good and it'll definitely put a smile on your face.

Wow...a noob who has made lots of research. I'm impressed, good work! :)

The "closed" factory Seamasters can be found occasionally through member trades, but they're rare. However the Seamaster "Bond" and "Bond" Chronograph are at least 95% as good replicas... the new chronograph maybe even better. Watch out... I will make a review of that watch eventually.

Here's my SMP "adjustment guide" which shows all the flaws and "easy mods":

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4509

And yes, TAG Link Chronograph is definitely the top-5 most accurate reps ever made. But the black version isn't quite as accurate as blue and grey "polished bezel" models, and it might have a bad datewheel.

Here's more about the Link Chronograph (should cover almost everything):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=9437

Good luck.

My first piece of advice to you young man is not to limit yourself to one brand. My second order almost 4 years ago was over $1,000 worth of Rolex. Although very pleased with the watches, only after I had 17 Rolexes did I realise there were other watch brands that I had to have.

Don't fall in love with one brand. I hated Panerai until I got my 251. Just like stocks, Diversify.

I have buyed for my father Xmas present, the Omega, Bond, but the 40 years. It is a really good replica, and if you are a fun of 007, you will love this watch (look at Rivers price).

I also have the Link, but with the blue dial. I prefer it to the black. It is more "deep". For a black dial, in chrono I have the IWC GST.

All are really good replicas, very accurated and the best dealers have it.

Yeah, this is why I posted too.

"who has the best sub"

ok, good now this thread will come up in noob searches. -

so FYI , when i give advice in threads that what you should do is read read read - and explain in the post that you have read but still have questions and you will get tons of help from forum members - :) THIS is exactly what i'm talking about.

We love to help - but you have to show you are trying.

Ok - soapbox over -now back to this threads topic

The "Diversify" advice is very good. i think you also got the "choose your dealer then choose your watch"

to build on these points - what you find after collecting for a while is - 1. you love watches and 2. you love great quality watches and 3. they may not have a great quality rep for the ones you like and 4. you will like some other brands that are great quality just as good.

When i first came to the forum, i was looking for corum and breitling. at the time the breitlings were - eh and the corums are still just - eh. lucky for you friend that there are some superior quality omega out there - but - to incorporate the advice above - its almost more important that you drop some pre-concieved notions of what your looking for - and look to see what you like that is available.

its like my purse place in china town, i take orders from family members - not for this specific model - but maybe a brand or a color or a size or a "formal or casual"

you have some good watches to choose from in omega - when you have gotten satisfied there - check out some of the really great reps that are out there - you can usually distinguish by price - over 200 usually means pretty good rep (could still be fantasy, but good quality) not a hard fast rule, just a good indicator.

It took me a long time and lots of $$ to realize that i could build a collection that i go ga ga over- built entirly of watches that i wouldn't have thought about buying in my first 3 months on the forum

:)

anyway - blabbering over back to work for me - enjoy :)

Thanks for welcoming me and giving me all this great information. More information also means more questions in my case. Since I’m going to be traveling for a while I’m in no rush to buy a rep right now, giving me more time to read and learn.

So reading By-Tor’s modding threat www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4509 , now would it be feasible to just buy a cheap rep and mod it up to look as close to the gen as possible? By feasible I mean cost effective? Actually, let’s do some math looking at the SMP (Sea-Master Professional 2254.50.00):

Hands Hr./Min 26.20

Sweep Sec. 18.20

Bracelet 460

Case (could only find the 007) 689

Bezel 168

So let’s say we get a cheap SMP form Paul for 159 and looking at the picture exchanging the hands for 44.40 (they are the only thing I can see from the pictures, maybe someone can tell me what else is improvable with this watch, the bezel seems right in the picture) or Andrews with Asian 21J movement for 108 (not sure what to change here besides the Bezel for 168, in the pictures the hands seem long enough)

So we could have one for $199.40 or $276 and then we look at some of the more expensive SMPs and like Joshua at 218 and it looks like we might have to change the hands at 44.40. So in the end we pay 264.40.

All these prices are assuming that we don’t need to exchange any other parts. Best bargain even after mod is with Paul at $199.40 (after reading all the post about him I’m still not sure what to make of him). There is also some nice other SMPs I saw of example Kings seems nice; I just don’t know the price right now.

By the way By-Tor not sure which super human nail power you have, but a brought an old Invicta on my trip to take it apart. Broke both my thumb nails on the case, and could not get it off with a knife.

I like to modd thing, so this will be a nice side job. For my first rep I think I’ll go with the TAG and then later on with the Omega Chrono.

Toni

Thanks for welcoming me and giving me all this great information. More information also means more questions in my case. Since I’m going to be traveling for a while I’m in no rush to buy a rep right now, giving me more time to read and learn.

So reading By-Tor’s modding threat www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4509 , now would it be feasible to just buy a cheap rep and mod it up to look as close to the gen as possible? By feasible I mean cost effective? Actually, let’s do some math looking at the SMP (Sea-Master Professional 2254.50.00):

Hands Hr./Min 26.20

Sweep Sec. 18.20

Bracelet 460

Case (could only find the 007) 689

Bezel 168

So let’s say we get a cheap SMP form Paul for 159 and looking at the picture exchanging the hands for 44.40 (they are the only thing I can see from the pictures, maybe someone can tell me what else is improvable with this watch, the bezel seems right in the picture) or Andrews with Asian 21J movement for 108 (not sure what to change here besides the Bezel for 168, in the pictures the hands seem long enough)

So we could have one for $199.40 or $276 and then we look at some of the more expensive SMPs and like Joshua at 218 and it looks like we might have to change the hands at 44.40. So in the end we pay 264.40.

All these prices are assuming that we don’t need to exchange any other parts. Best bargain even after mod is with Paul at $199.40 (after reading all the post about him I’m still not sure what to make of him). There is also some nice other SMPs I saw of example Kings seems nice; I just don’t know the price right now.

By the way By-Tor not sure which super human nail power you have, but a brought an old Invicta on my trip to take it apart. Broke both my thumb nails on the case, and could not get it off with a knife.

I like to modd thing, so this will be a nice side job. For my first rep I think I’ll go with the TAG and then later on with the Omega Chrono.

Toni

You are definatly going to like it here :)

Excellent questions from a new member! Welcome Toni. You have already received lots of good advice from some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

My two cents, for what it's worth--buy both the Omega and the Tag and definitely stay away from the Pams. Yeah, they look big and ugly now, but pretty soon, they won't look so big and the ugly part is what theywill do to your wallet.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Climb on.

Excellent questions from a new member! Welcome Toni. You have already received lots of good advice from some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

My two cents, for what it's worth--buy both the Omega and the Tag and definitely stay away from the Pams. Yeah, they look big and ugly now, but pretty soon, they won't look so big and the ugly part is what theywill do to your wallet.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Climb on.

I think when I come back I'll get the TAG in gray and then my next one will be a cheapo SMP (on which I'll try my modding-FrankenStein skills). If anyone has a good dealer for this the SMP modd watch let me know.

I think you guys are right, when I first cam to this board I didn't get why everyone was so into the Pam. I thought they are big and ugly, but now they are starting to grow on me (I guess that's how it starts).

On another note, is anyone else getting into hot water with theire wifes? I have been accused of spending large amounts of time in this forum. This is bad since I'm on the road right now.

Welcome toni, nice avatar! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Don't listen those who talks of PAM... there's no such thing around... they were just taking jokes on a newcomer... our way to be friendly, nothing else...

(whispering) guys, what were you doing?!? talking of PAMs to a newcomer that only talked about Omega, Tag, and so??? do you want him f****d up???? (/whispering)

Ciao bello,

mio itallien è difettoso ormai. Quando ho vissuto in Reggio di Calabria e dopo in Milano loro era buono grazioso.

Man do I need to brush up on my Italian. I loved living in Italy, great country great people and some of the best food in the world. By incident also the country where I bought my first nicer watch, a Breil, not sure it they even still make these.

Anyways, I’m still not super much into the PAM(s), but they do look better to me than before.

By the way, my avatar is supposed to be a Chinchilla. I had one growing up, he was one of the coolest pets ever. Now I have a wife and two cats.

Arrivederci,

Toni