When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Sub And 1665 Build, Progress So Far

Ephry73

1665 build as follows:

• Trevor 1665 case Now "MBW" 1665 case
  • Gen 1665 GW service dial (purchased from fellow member) re-lumed and dial feet removed
  • (edit: Clark's 25-39 now)tropic t39 dome(have super dome but like this better for now)
  • ETA 2783 with correct open 6 & 9s date wheel ETA 2824-2 for ease of parts with correctly matched Yuki hands
  • Gen 703 crown and tube(may change this to a 7-02 but not sure yet)
  • Yuki ETA yellow hands aged a bit
  • Correct working HEV Stamped HEV now with new case but now I have the correct thick bezel profile
  • Case back is still up for debate but have the ROLEX 507 case back for now(edit: back to the GW transition case back)
  • Reshaped CGs and lugs trimmed a bit
  • 93150 / 580 Yuki bracelet and clasp (Need to get the correct end links)

May age the insert a bit more to show discoloration, but so far I like the sun-matted look of it now

DSC_0031.jpgDSC_0033.jpgDSC_0037.jpgDSC_0020-3.jpg

The Tudor Sub build(not sure what number reference to call it "yet"

• Chiman12 sourced Tudor sub dial relumed and further aged(could be gen not 100% sure Chiman can define this better)
    • Josh 5513 case. Trimmed lugs, CGs and flattened
    • Gen 703 Crown and Tube(may use Ubi's 702 with a Micha tube, but still deciding)
    • Ofrei t-19 Service type crystal
    • ETA 2783/4 hybrid
    • Yuki yellow lume "aged" hands
    • Opened lug holes for correct springbar(DJ I think)
    • May age the insert or just leave as is for now
    • I have a Riveted Franken bracelet with parts sourced from the 'bay, donated by some members(Thanks Nanuq) and purchased from different sources to get just the right "stretch" and feel. Also have a few NATOs but nothing special.

Will source newer pictures when I get the memory card back. I wonder what the Tudor needs still. Justin (When I convince him) will engrave and reshape the case back.

DSC_0006-9.jpgDSC_0011-6.jpgDSC_0004-10.jpgDSC_0001-11.jpg

DSC_0017-4.jpgDSC_0018-3.jpg

DSC_0001-12.jpgDSC_0002-12.jpg

DSC_0003-13.jpgDSC_0005-12.jpgDSC_0007-8.jpgDSC_0009-5.jpg

1665 case back on the left, 507 on the right. Incidentally, the 507 is very thick.

DSC_0013-5.jpgDSC_0012-5.jpgDSC_0028-3.jpg

More pictures added. Details of the HEV as promised. Nothing special, but seems to be ok. Shots of the side, some of the newer pictures with the Gen tube installed. Now has a Clark's 25-39 and I kinda like it better. Slight bleaching on the bezel insert shows more now.

Thanks for the kind words. The HEV it came with is/was a "functional" valve. I relubed the o-ring and bent the spring correctly. So far no leaks. The pictures are on the other card(sorry) when I get I will post them. For the money it is not a bad deal. I swim and do anything with this watch(had it as a COMEX 5514 before until I found this dial)

E

Nice work ephry!

Really diggin both, Trevor sells a 1665 case with a working Hev?

I worked on my rose this weekend too, I'm almost there :)

Look forward to seeing these two fine watches finished!

Thanks you for the compliments

I got two cases from him in May, not sure if he has any like these anymore, but the two had same case build, HEV in working order(without actually testing them in a mixed-gas pressure chamber that is) and one had a 5514 tamping while the other one a 1665. I kept the 1665 for this build and sold the 5514 as a 5514 COMEX build a few months back. I basically took some silicone grease, lubed the o-ring, ensured that the flat spring was tight and left it as is. Had to play with the rehaut a little bit to fit the gen dial correctly, but I think it is pretty decent. If I could find a dial like the one Ubi used that would be sweet!

The Tudor build is a different story. I may actually sell it to fund the 9401 build.

I cannot wait to see yours.

E

HAHA make fun all you want, I still have the DRSD early Caseback that came with the case originally ;)

Ahhhhhh, not making fun at all... I'm diggin it. I'm thinking I don't neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed two DRSDs. But one could pretty quickly turn into a tasty little COMEX. :wub:

"Lead on, Macduff, and damned be him who first cries 'Hold! enough!'”

Pictures of the "1665" added. I may sell the dial and find a nice 5513 to make it into a Pre-Comex instead, unless I can get a 1665 case and correct bezel pretty cheap. I feel the case is on the thin side, but pretty happy with the case work.

E

So...what your saying is this Trevor case marked 1665 with working Hev, is shorter than the usual 1665 case? More the size of a 5512/5513/5514/5517 case, but with Hev? That's the case set I want next..a thin/shorter Hev case for a pre-comex 5514...but I may just throw out all reason and go ub-fied with a phong case. :)