When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chanel J12 Eta 28xx (white Or Black) Ceramic 38mm

Chronus

I was just "window-shopping" (due to limited funds and debts!) and saw a watch at Paul's site which claims to be made of real ceramic. It is a Chanel watch, not something I would normally look at...

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...roducts_id=1253

A few questions. This is a pretty expensive rep, and I would attribute it to the ceramic material.

-What makes this material so expensive ? I know it is used in surgery partly due to a non-allergic nature (any surgeons or in the medical profession please correct me).

-What are the advantages of ceramic material in a watch ? What is it exactly?

Edited by Chronus

Those Chanel j12s are pretty damned nice.

I agree it's a nice watch, but seems small at 38mm and I would feel weird wearing a watch with Chanel on the dial!

Would you wear a jacket that said Victoria's Secret? It's a girls watch, stop looking at it :p

There are currently 4 different grades of ceramic available according to EL. We decided to go with the highest grade and the ceramic does look and feel like the genuine. Mrs. Linder loves hers.

The biggest benefit, I would say, would be that we got it last summer and it still does not have any scratches! :Jumpy:

Would you wear a jacket that said Victoria's Secret? It's a girls watch, stop looking at it :p

There are currently 4 different grades of ceramic available according to EL. We decided to go with the highest grade and the ceramic does look and feel like the genuine. Mrs. Linder loves hers.

The biggest benefit, I would say, would be that we got it last summer and it still does not have any scratches! :Jumpy:

I would wear one with Victoria Secret on it:

Victoria's Secret

NYC 2006

STAGE

CREW

Of course I would have to actually be there for the bragging rights :Jumpy::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I looked at the watch and showed my wife.. she's just OK with it though so I wont get it for her :p

Just taken delivery today of Joshua's ceramic ladies model in white and the quality is very good indeed. THe ceramic has a wondeful pearly like lustre and a good solid feel to it. It came complete with all boxes etc and I think was $458.

The girls are not as fussy as us and to be honest I doubt you would automatically notice it was a fake when being worn by a lovely lady! She will be very pleased at christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also got the new SMP chrono from him in the same delivery and that is another nice qualtiy timepeice!

I'd wear a t-shirt that said victoria secret

But seriously folks - there is a men's version, in black ceramic- large watch. I tried on the Gen Techno Marine's (rep) version of a chanel. Not too bad actually - different

All watch companies make reps - they just put their own name on it. - :)

The ceramic material is Zirconium Oxide (Zi) in the gens. This is a commonly available material that can be moulded under heat and pressure. I use it in the dental industry to make the frameworks for all ceramic crowns and bridges.

Zirconium (Arabic zarkûn from Persian zargûn meaning "gold like") was discovered in 1789 by Martin Heinrich Klaproth and isolated in 1824 by Jöns Jakob Berzelius.

The zirconium-containing mineral zircon, or its variations (jargon, hyacinth, jacinth, or ligure), were mentioned in biblical writings. The mineral was not known to contain a new element until Klaproth analyzed a jargon from Ceylon in the Indian Ocean. He named the new element Zirkonertz (zirconia). The impure metal was isolated first by Berzelius by heating a mixture of potassium and potassium zirconium fluoride in a small decomposition process conducted in an iron tube. Pure zirconium wasn't prepared until 1914.

Zirconium dioxide (ZrO2), sometimes known as zirconia, is a white crystalline oxide of zirconium. Its most naturally occurring form, with a monoclinic crystalline structure, is the rare mineral, baddeleyite. The high temperature cubic crystalline form, called 'cubic zirconia', is rarely, if ever, found in nature, but is synthesized in various colours for use as a gemstone. The cubic crystal structured variety is the best-known diamond simulant.

Sounds good, I'll have to find some pics of those ones, and hopefully they will get repped too. I have to say I'm liking this White Chanel J12 watch.

Come to think of it, I got an IWC watch magazine in Stockholm and they mentioned a surgeon who liked IWC and wore a ceramic watch of theirs, just can't remember which :g:

What do you think of it? Any chance of any photos? Perhaps some wrist shots ? ;)

Is it good quality and does it feel like a good watch? :group:

Not something I could get right away due to the cost, but something to put on the list for future consideration. 38mm is the man's size, but will it feel too small after getting used to 40mm to 44mm (PAMs) ?

What do you think of it? Any chance of any photos? Perhaps some wrist shots ? ;)

Is it good quality and does it feel like a good watch? :group:

Not something I could get right away due to the cost, but something to put on the list for future consideration. 38mm is the man's size, but will it feel too small after getting used to 40mm to 44mm (PAMs) ?

The EL 38mm J12:

post-743-1161643041_thumb.jpg

The gen Chrono I bought a few weeks later:

post-743-1161642917_thumb.jpg

All in all the rep felt really good until I got the gen. It's a good rep, and will fool most people, but is glaringly obvious to a gen wearer.

Edited by lemonvr6

My wife makes fun of my rep. collection but hasn't taken off her J12 since I got it for her. I got it from River before the the prices went sky high for the top quality one.

Ceramic is extremely scratch proof, but it can chip. It is being used in hip replacements as a bearing material because it wears very slowly. It's not the best choice for a hip replacement in someone that is pretty active because if they chip it, they're screwed.

As it's a rarer watch to see, it should pass by fine I would think.

Apart from these flaws (maybe they'll fix them one day?) it's a great rep? How are the links linked?

And how hardy is a ceramic watch? To me it looks like if you bang it accidentally against a table, for example, that it would get chipped. I really dont know how tougher it would be. It looks like brittle porcelain but I'm sure it is tougher than that... comparable to a stainless steel watch in durability?