When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shaping Crown Guards?

dbutlerman

6088430642_14a5f6df9c_z.jpg

(symmetrical, camera angle may make them appear not)

practice and observation

i use the triangle file, flat file, and round file, first i roughly trim away what i dont want with the flat edge files, this is often done squarely, then i trace the contour out like a semi circle and use the round file to achieve the the correct interior contour around the crown...hmm hard to explain in words. then i use sand paper to finely make them symmetrical and smooth and to eventually finish them before a deep polish... my advice is look at a lot of pictures from many angles , hold the gen in your hands if you can and observe it in 3D space. when you go to mod your piece visualize what you want removed from the stock CGs and maintain that image in your head until youre satisfied that it matches up. i find drawing cutaway spots on the actual case to be ineffective

Not sure why you are worrying about curves inside the CGs? The bottom corners should be squarish anyway. Simply (gently) clamp the case in a vice & use a flat file to grind down the inner-sides (inside) of the CGs to match the gen you are using as a model. Then, smooth things out with a dremel & sandpaper, & polish. Not really rocket science

post-3175-0-44489700-1317324412.jpg

I remember seeing a thread somewhere on one machinist who would align to the center of the crown hole and then plunge down with a taper mill. The taper of the mill would provide a round but decreasing diameter cut. That would seem to be the best option, but a file will work as well.