When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 red sub from perfect clones

irolexu

1680 red sub w/ slow beat eta

http://www.1-pc8838.com/-vintage-168...1.html?image=0

I am looking at purchasing this watch and wanted some professional opinion on is this a good point for a real good potential Franken project? If so I plan on getting gen parts and really want it to have a very worn look. What gen parts will fit this model?

The link won't come up for me- this webpage does not exist..

But basically I agree with highoey, although the red sub with the 2846-2 could be lightly modded into a very nice rep

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01015-vintage-1680-subalternative-swiss-2846-p-8531.html

But no one's going to put a real red dial in a rep like this- the cost of a real red dial would be outrageous and that leaves an NDT, or possibly an Ingod44 dial. A gen crown and tube is no big deal and an insert is maybe $100. So you could end up with a very nice rep for $500 or so.

If you were to go with a 1570 movement and a gen white dial, you would need to get a better case.

• Like 1

I don't know if a gen or clark crystal will fit. But if it does, changing the crystal and crown and some aging of the bezel insert will give you a very niche watch for less than 400 USD. You can even considering reluming dial and hands and aging the dial to give it a more vintage, worn look.

So for you to decide how franken you want to go! I agree on the others that this is as much franken I would go with this watch as a base watch.

The link won't come up for me- this webpage does not exist..

But basically I agree with highoey, although the red sub with the 2846-2 could be lightly modded into a very nice rep

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01015-vintage-1680-subalternative-swiss-2846-p-8531.html

But no one's going to put a real red dial in a rep like this- the cost of a real red dial would be outrageous and that leaves an NDT, or possibly an Ingod44 dial. A gen crown and tube is no big deal and an insert is maybe $100. So you could end up with a very nice rep for $500 or so.

If you were to go with a 1570 movement and a gen white dial, you would need to get a better case.

In your opinion how is the dial? Do you think the white sub would be better? I'm basically just wanting to ad gen crown tube gen insert and soften the case age dial and age insert and also NATO strap

Does MBK sell a 1680 if so I'd probably go with him...how do I get in touch with MBK

you dont. MBK is a place in Asia, NOT a dealer. their complete watches are not really worth buying since youll be replacing the movement with a slow beat, usually replacing the dial if its a 5513/5512 and the bracelet is not an accurate 93150.

you dont. MBK is a place in Asia, NOT a dealer. their complete watches are not really worth buying since youll be replacing the movement with a slow beat, usually replacing the dial if its a 5513/5512 and the bracelet is not an accurate 93150.

can you explain more about MBK and MBW, since a long time I wish to know exactly where to get stuff from these place,

I know MBK is a shopping center in Bangkok downtown, right ?

For MBW, as I often have read here "MBW this..." and "MBW that..." but never seen a link or an adress to get such cases or accessories.

Or this is private infos for initiated people ? :g:

:)

Edited by Rolexaddict

Some dealers (I think Narikka is one) can still get hold of MBW cases. They're considered among the best of Rolex cases, particularly the older style subs and seadweller's.

Keep an eye out in the sales sections, I've picked up one or two in the past and they'll usually already have had some mods done (crown guard shaping, aging etc..). Once you have one you're well on your way and it's time to start looking for a nice dial, gen insert and crystal and the like. That's when the fun begins..

Some dealers (I think Narikka is one) can still get hold of MBW cases. They're considered among the best of Rolex cases, particularly the older style subs and seadweller's.

Keep an eye out in the sales sections, I've picked up one or two in the past and they'll usually already have had some mods done (crown guard shaping, aging etc..). Once you have one you're well on your way and it's time to start looking for a nice dial, gen insert and crystal and the like. That's when the fun begins..

i believe the known regular dealers who resell MBK watches stock complete watches from MBK, NOT the cases. you have to buy the whole mc coy and waste 2/3rds of it when upgrading...

can you explain more about MBK and MBW, since a long time I wish to know exactly where to get stuff from these place,

I know MBK is a shopping center in Bangkok downtown, right ?

For MBW, as I often have read here "MBW this..." and "MBW that..." but never seen a link or an adress to get such cases or accessories.

Or this is private infos for initiated people ? g.gif

smile.png

i guess it is downtown, ask any tuk tuk driver and theyll take you there, just avoid the motorcycle tuk tuks unless death is not something you fear

• 3 months later...

if you fully intend to add a gen insert, gen-aftermarket crystal, gen crown, gen dial or aftermarket "refinished" dial. the really start with a good case to build upon and collect all the pieces to finally put it all together.

This is the truth.

If you want something that you will still enjoy a year from now, start with the best and most accurate case you can find and afford.

I know from experience. When I started in this I bought several cartel watches, added the gen parts and as time went along and the more educated I got...I became disappointed in my watches. Then the hunt for better cases began. I look back and really wish I had waited and got more informed before I spent so much money.

Keep looking in the for sale sections for an MBW watch. They show up all the time for sale. Meanwhile start collecting your gen parts!

Hi guys sorry to drag up an old topic, are the red 1680 Mbw watches that narikka could possibly source good out of the box reps to beat around with a bit of ageing until gen parts are sourced? Does the dial and straps look any good, I would want to keep it on stainless, cheers guys

that depends.

are the 1680s the new model 1680 MBWs that have been shipping out or the old style (not 1680 but 1680) MBWs.

the red dials were never good and the MBW straps are less correct than PTs

that depends.

are the 1680s the new model 1680 MBWs that have been shipping out or the old style (not 1680 but 1680) MBWs.

the red dials were never good and the MBW straps are less correct than PTs

I'm not sure buddy, I'm assuming they are the newer versions, I spoke to narikka and he said he can source mbk 1680 i may see what they are like, don't think I'm going to do a major amount of modding with gen parts but it's always good to have the base where I can mod in future if I decide, and hopefully I can with the mbk version :)