When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An interesting new A6497-2 with some improvements and oddities

RWG Technical

This is the first time I have come accross this particular version of the venerable Asian 6497-2. There seem to be more variants than I can keep track of.

Specs:

18,000 BPM

18 Jewels (normally 17)

Lettering is not engraved, printed only

PROBLEMS

Overall view, note that some of the lettering has disapeared following cleaning:

4.jpg

First odd item, do you see the extra sets of holes in the mainplate for the pallet cock, the two holes are an alignment pin hole and a threaded hole as well.

Not sure why there are extra holes, if I was to guess, it appears as if this mainplate was designed for a pallet bridge which is fastened on both sides and includes a built in set of banking pins. Maybe this mainplate started life as a Unitas 6497... the other oddity if you look closely is that the banking pins are a long ways back towards the balance wheel than they should be, normally the pins but up against the pallet arm, in this case they are butting up against the pallet forks, very odd indeed...

5.jpg

Next problem, the crown is fully in the winding position, but notice how the set lever has not fully switched to the winding position, the set lever alignment pin should be fully seated in the notch of the keyless cover, it's only partially seated. The reason for this is that the stem is too short and will have to be replaced with a correct length longer stem. This is not a problem that the owner would detect and was caused by whoever sized the stem to the incorrect length.

If I didn't note this problem and left it as it is now, the result would be that the sliding pinion and the crown gear would not engage fully, and since this is a handwind, winding would eventually damage both the pinion and the gear. This just goes to show once again that until someone has a detailed look and services the movement correctly, you never know the condition, another reason for a servicing and detailed inspection of a new movement.

3.jpg

IMPROVEMENTS

Lets look at some improvements, they added a jewel to the top of the winding barrel arbor, a good idea since this is the pivot with the most stress.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Another problem, and this is not unique to the A6497, hairsprings defects exist on 99% of Asian movements.

Before photo, you can see the uneven gap between the coils, if not repaired, the timing would be inacurate and cause the movement to run fast, slow, even, all over the place.

6.jpg

It is a fairly easy repair, I manipulated the hairspring and corrected the uneven spacing.

7.jpg

Another timing problem, the hairspring is at rest, this is the regulator arm and pins, you can see that the hairspring is touching the inside of one of the arms only, the hairspring should be centered between the two brass arms.

BEFORE

8.jpg

I moved the regulator pins and now you can see that the hairspring is centered between both pins.

AFTER

9.jpg

Overall a good movement, but I wonder why we have gone back to 18,000 beat rate from the normal 21,600 rate...

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions or comments please ask...

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply, been one of those days at work...

Thanks for the feedback, interesting to know that others have seen this particular model.

Initially after servicing the timing was way off, but after adjustment it's working just fine.

@hackR, the hairspring is manupilated with offset tweezers and some hairspring tools, you need to find out exactly where the problem is, and then bend the hairspring in the right direction and amount to eliminate the error.

@watchmeister...you asked for it... :)

@hackR, the hairspring is manupilated with offset tweezers and some hairspring tools, you need to find out exactly where the problem is, and then bend the hairspring in the right direction and amount to eliminate the error.

thanks, R...i always appreciate learning...