When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with watch-winder

tabularasa415

So I bought a pretty darn cheap watch winder off of the bay almost a year ago and it's beginning to lose its mind. It holds 4 watches (2 2 piece bays) to wind and a row of 6 watches underneath for storage. Everyone in the family is already bugging me about what I want for Christmas and a new winder is at the top of my list. I would like something that holds 4 to 6 watches, preferably with some storage (if no storage, I will survive). I don't want a piece of junk that's going to have a bad circuit in a year, but I also don't want one of these $800 jobs that holds 4 watches and give you a BJ every 24 minutes. Any recommendations for something solid that's also a good value? I'm trying to keep it reasonably priced because I don't like asking for expensive items from family members. I may just ask them to get it for me as a group gift.

All recommendations are appreciated.

--Jer

I bought an expensive winder and it doesn't do crap....Even watches serviced by The Zigmeister and francisco for some odd reason wont stay "charged" and yes I have it set to counter and clockwise rotation. MAX setting!

Do you really need a winder? Ever asked yourself this?

Stopping and restarting an automatic watch from time to time is worse than letting it run 24/7 on an automatic watch winder, the amount of wears should be equal, on the other hand, there are stories pointing out that low quality winder could eventually kill the watch as well. I'm talking about robust genuine movements, let alone the cheap ones that most of us happen to own.

I wouldn't do it. Besides I don't mind adjusting my watch hands and bring t back to life every time I wear it. This is the joy of owning an automatic watch. The whole winder thing defeats the purpose of automatic movements to me.

• Like 1

Do you really need a winder? Ever asked yourself this?

Stopping and restarting an automatic watch from time to time is worse than letting it run 24/7 on an automatic watch winder, the amount of wears should be equal, on the other hand, there are stories pointing out that low quality winder could eventually kill the watch as well. I'm talking about robust genuine movements, let alone the cheap ones that most of us happen to own.

I wouldn't do it. Besides I don't mind adjusting my watch hands and bring t back to life every time I wear it. This is the joy of owning an automatic watch. The whole winder thing defeats the purpose of automatic movements to me.

Not entirely true. Starting and stopping on a winder is no worse the wearing your watch to the grocery store, driving a car, or unloading the dishwasher. The only real issue you have is if you are winding them excessively and slipping the mainspring, or keeping the mainspring in a constant limbo state. A non-issue on a 7750 or one way winding rotor, or properly setting TPD.

I would contest that the coninual unscrewing of the crown, keyless works, and date changes would put more stress and wear on the watch than 'diligent' winder management.

I've had more crown tubes and keyless works go to hell than barrels ;)

But to be fair, if you leave a watch on the winder long enough you are going to want to correct the time when you finally wear it, anyway. So you'd use the crown and work all those parts.

So you'd use the crown and work all those parts.

Absolutely! And why not?

Again, to me it's more about the journey itself than the destination. They were made to be wound this way, they have crowns no?

Besides, I do believe that watches are pretty much like humans. They too need a down time.

It also depends on your collection.

My Gen Breitling Navi 7753 movement does NOT have a quickset date, nor does my Gen powered 1680 Submariner with 1575 movement. Throw in my CoAxial Omega, 3135GMT Explorer II with psedo quickset date (hour hand spins independent for date, hour jumping) you quickly run into situations where say your watch stopped on the 2nd, and it is now the 30th... On the above watches, the wear and tear on keyless works, gear train, and your fingers is a real PITA.

I guess I am also lucky in that many of my watches are COSC, or stay within 5 minutes over a month, that I can usually make it to a 30 day month, and combine my corrections with short month date fix ups.

All I am saying is winders have their place, and used intellegently pose no threat to your watch.