When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Noob Factory LV is light as a feather!

ninjagaiden

Folks,

My Noob Factory LV arrived from Josh last night. I will do some pics soon. First thing that struck me was how light it is compared to a 42mm ExpII or a DJII. Anyway there was me thinking it must be the smaller caseset reducing the weight, but when I got to resizing the bracelet I noticed the middle links are hollow and are open at the sides.

I've never had a bracelet with hollow links before. Is this a good thing? I presume the Gen has solid links.

Anyhow, I am very pleased with the watch. The bezel is a bif stiff, and again I've had to do a lot of softening of the bracelet with 600grit cloth, but the watch looks really great and wears well for the lighter weight.

N

Doh. How stupid am I! Thanks for pointing that out.

So the weight reduction must be due to the caseset, and maybe the clasp as well.

This is the smallest rep I have ordered, and I am quite liking its proportions. I don't like the clasp though - it just feels a bit flimsy.

've had a couple of Noobmariners and they have a pretty realistic weight. Are you sure it is a Noob?

The clasp on a gen is also flimsy. People have complained for decades. The only thing wrong with the Noob clasp is the coronet. It is horrible...probably the worst. Other than the clasp and endlinks the Noob bracelet links are considered among the best available. Many people have purchased a Noob Sub bracelet and mated it with a better clasp and endlinks to make a great bracelet.

• Like 1

've had a couple of Noobmariners and they have a pretty realistic weight. Are you sure it is a Noob?

The clasp on a gen is also flimsy. People have complained for decades. The only thing wrong with the Noob clasp is the coronet. It is horrible...probably the worst. Other than the clasp and endlinks the Noob bracelet links are considered among the best available. Many people have purchased a Noob Sub bracelet and mated it with a better clasp and endlinks to make a great bracelet.

Funny you mention that I just g

You are not wrong about the reduced weight making it more comfortable to wear - it's like wearing a titanium bracelet watch. It's been on my wrist all day with no problems at all. Clasp is kind of growing on me too now that I've seen more picks of the Gen clasp.

Rolex has for many years made those "light an flimsy" bracelets from the Jubilee to the Oyster. Most of these will last 20, 30, 40 years. To me it's one of Rolex's strong points, not weaknesses. Other than the last few years, watches were meant to be unobtrusive, not giant pieces of bling. And Rolex made watch bands that were comfortable, sleek and stylish that could be passed on from one generation to the next. They were lightweight engineering marvels. I'm currently wearing a gen jubilee on a 1980's DJ and unlike my Panerai, it seems to disappear on my wrist until I want to see the time.