When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replacing with a wider datewheel on an eta 2824 mvt

horologist

Hello to all,

I have just pulled out an eta 2824 from a cross threaded Tissot and was planning on putting into my submariner purchased from a collector of this site.

I noticed that the original datewheel is much thinner on the eta mvt than ones in the submariners with eta mvts already in them. Is it a straigtht forward job to replace the datewheel with the wider datewheel or does there need to be some modifying to the mvt to accomodate it as it is wider? I am no watchmaker, so please excuse my ignorance on this,

Thanks in advance for your help

You realize that you have the original date wheel in the 2824-2 and then there is a datewheel overlay that goes over it. The Tissot wouldn't have this DWO since it's not a rep. The DWO goes on top and the numbers sit slightly inside the eta DW, but line up with the date window on the Rolex rep dials (or gen dials). There are tutorials around here that can tell you how to do it.

Also, if you submariner has a 2836-2, a 2824-2 might not work due to the higher stem position.

The DWO (date wheel overlay) swap can be tough. I just did this with one of my watches. Before pulling the overlay off the old movement you may want to see if the old date wheel fits your new movement (ETA-ETA) then case up and see if it all works. Mine fit but didn't have the dial clearance so it jammed up.

At that point I peeled the DWO off the old date and epoxied it to the new wheel. Lots of trial and error to line it up correctally. BK advised (thank you) that you start with the 28th and center that then work your way around. Trail and error

Good luck

It can be possible to swap the eta wheels without removing the overlay. It's a tiny bit tricky, but it can solve headaches. Remove the old date wheel from the Tissot using this method. http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=6526.

Then remove the datewheel with overlay on it from the Sub watch by removing the keyless plate first. Then lift it from the keyless side a bit and rotate it clockwise and the whole thing should lift off together. To install it on the Tissot movement, start by positioning the wheel and installing the keyless plate side. Getting the screw for the plate on may be a bit hard. Get it started, then as you get down to the overlay, you may have to use a razor blade to slightly lift the overlay while you tighten the screw down. The screw needs to be partially under the overlay. Don't completely tighten the screw down just yet. Now comes the tricky part. Form the tutorial I linked to, you will see you have to get the teeth of the date wheel in the notches of the jumper spring assembly. With the overlay on, you can't see this, but you can feel it by gently twisting the date wheel assembly down on the movement with two fingers on the wheel 180 degrees apart from one another. Now - once you've found that sweet spot, with your free hand slide the razor blade carefully between the date wheel and the movement to compress the jumper spring while at the same time slightly putting clockwise rotational pressure on the date wheel. You'll feel it rotate into place.

Test the assembly by manually advancing the date in the date position. You'll know right away if you got it right or not. It'll either not budge or may even pop right off if the jumper spring didn't engage right.

Make absolutely sure you check each function of the date change (manually and by time setting) at each stage of the re-assembly to avoid frustration.

It can be possible to swap the eta wheels without removing the overlay. It's a tiny bit tricky, but it can solve headaches. Remove the old date wheel from the Tissot using this method. http://repgeek.com/s...ead.php?t=6526.

ive never been able to reinstall the datewheel with the overlay still on it