When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Often Do Your New Replicas Show Up With "problems"?

kkor

I am pretty new to this, but I've noticed out of the four orders I've made - three had problems. My first replica showed up perfect. My second order for one watch showed up with a slightly different dial than pictured. In my third order for two watches one of them showed up with a cracked dial. Now in my fourth order, I ordered a IWC GST Ti and Cartier. I got the IWC preserviced, and it showed up with a different date font then any picture of rep or gen I've seen. It looks like maybe the default date font for a 7750 got put on it.

Now so far the dealers have provided great customer service and replaced my problem watches, so I have no complaints. And I'm sure the dealer for my GST will fix the problem. But I am wondering have I just had a run of bad luck or are experiences like this common? 3 out of 6 watches I've ordered have had problems. Seems like you have to pay close attention in this hobby :).

Never one single problem, except one watch ran slow and I sent it to Dr. Tommy for a basic checkout. All have been perfect... and just as described. Lots of transactions from fellow members and dealers.

You've sure had your share of bad luck.

I think people may define problems differently. I'm somewhat detailed with watches, so I can actually say I've never had a rep that was without problems and I've probably had more than 20 now. I usually find problems with my gens also, so my only solution is to become rich so I can afford one of those few perfect watches out there. However, I also see this as a positive, reps have been the motivating force behind getting into all aspects of watch repair from movements to dials and cases.

Out 18 rep purchases... I've had trouble with One. It was destroyed in the shipping process. The dealer dealt with the issue and had a replacement in my hands in a week. Sounds to me that Kkor has had more than his fair share of problems.

Of all my watches, I've had one arrive defective, and that was a threaded screw on a 183. All other watches arrived perfect (unless I've forgotten some tale of woe).

However, several watches have developed problems within their first week or so, or have issues that went undetected for a week. Does that count?

5% arrive with problems bad enough that I feel I'm entitled to a replacement. Not a terrible percentage.

As for 30-90 day reliability, again not so bad. I had one watch that required a regulator and beat adjustment to keep it from running 15 minutes fast a day but that was it. Again, about 5%.

I think, as long as you are staying with the reputable guys, you've probably had your share of bad luck.

Rolex reps seem to have the highest QC applied to them. Never had a problem with a rolex rep of which I own 4. Omega reps are a different story. Of the 6 omega reps I own all have had a problem or 3. Mostly due to crappy bezel inserts misaligned to bezel, crystal not fully pressed, clasp mushroom falls off, bracelet scratched or crap, crown stripped or just wrong, stem too long or short, and bezel problems ( no click, too tight, too loose). The movements are usually reliable unless we are talking about 7750 based reps, of which 100% have been defective and required $150 rebuilds to run correctly. ( I own 5 ).

The best rep I have is a 2836-2 Yachtmaster from Andrew. Waterproof and accurate to a couple seconds a day. It has font issues, but thats really a small problem. It is the one shining gem in my collection. I own 36 watches.

jeff

Out of 70+ reps over the last 3 years, maybe 10 have had problems. 2 that were DOA and replaced by dealers. 1 or two that quickly had problems and were replaced by dealers, and maybe 5-6 that had issues such as stopping, chrono issues, bezel issues, etc. that my watchsmith was able to fix at a very reasonable price.

Most of my early reps (except for two) run perfectly, considering that they are rarely worn. Quality has definetly improved this year. Movements are better, chrono's work, bezels are not a problem.

This is now the golden age of reps..... and the best is still to come.

i bought a vintage double red seadweller from andrew last week...

i removed the bracelet from the case, so i could remove three links to make it fit me (i have a small wrist). but one of the screws in the link is seized and will not come out...so i cannot make it fit me.

when i attempted to put the bracelet back on, i noticed that the lug holes are not drilled in the correct place, and this made fitting the bracelet very difficult.

i have bought many replicas over the years, and im well aware that these faults randomly occur...(and nearly everyone i buy needs some kind of work)

i didnt want to bother andrew with the problem and send it back and go through custom risks again, so instead i took it to a local watchmaker that does much of the work on my watches.

he could not remove the screw that is stuck, so the watch still does not fit. also he had to fit slightly smaller pins in the bracelet to make it fit the case...but now the endlinks are loose and the watch looks untidy.

in short, the watch does not/cannot fit me, also it is not possible to fit another bracelet from another rep, as the lugholes are misplaced.

i cannot sell the watch on the forum to another member with it having these problems.

what do you do?

p.s....you may know me as supernova from "the other forums"

i think i will...

i wasnt planning on giving this watch much wrist time, i wanted it, to add to my growing collection...everyone knows that a vintage seadweller establishes any collection...but i at least want it to fit me so i could wear it if i wanted to...and that's what i paid for...

Seems I have had bad luck... Most of mine arrive with problems. Missing screws (Seawolf Ti), terrible dials, bezel inserts with misaligned numbers (TW Best Sub), shoddy movements (80% of the DW's I've rec'd), poor quality bracelets (AP RO), misaligned date fonts...

One of the reasons why I end up modding all of my watches... I'm my own QC when it comes to that stuff....

Before I found this website I purchased reps which were all in fine condition. The first rep I got here (two more are on the way :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) the dial had a scratch on it. I contacted the seller who has sent me a new dial which should arrive any day. The fact that I have to pay a watchsmith to replace the dial for me is softened by the excellent customer service the dealer provided. I know it was not his fault. It seems like you may have been a little unlucky, however it seems to me that the dealers here will take care of you if there is a problem with the watch.

Here's my list of all my reps with or without problems. I've had more watches with problems than not.

1) AP Royal Oak. Perfect case, dial, and movement. The bracelet had issues with warped links compared to some of the perfect pictures I've seen. I kept it and didn't complain. Some of the links on the bracelet have an obvious curvature/warp to them at the edges.

2) VC Overseas - Definitely QC problems with assembling the bracelet. I disassembled the tiny parts of the bracelets and reassembled them and now it looks good. Some of the bracelet parts were crookedly put together with some stripped screws.

3) Rollie DJ - Awesome rep except for one VERY crooked stick marker which draws the attention of the eye. The keyless works had been jacked up by whoever put the watch together. I didn't complain.

4) Omega SM PO 42mm - Glued on Omega symbol was very crooked. Sent back for another one. The swapped PO had a great looking dial, but the bracelet was defective with a broken link to the SEL. I was sent a new bracelet by the dealer.

5) Omega SM Chrono Diver - bezel pearl SEVERELY off center and crooked. There was a movement defect. The subdial at 6o'clock runs even when the chrono is not running. I swapped out the movement, and fixed the issue.

6) EL YM - No problems!

7) Pam 005 (Swiss) - No problems!

None of my gens have ever had issues out of the box.... as should be the case. :)

Just to add my opinion here........and it's based on something that we all forget......the age of the "mechanical" wristwatch should have died in the 1970's.....with the advent of a BETTER system of recording time.....quartz......it's more versatile....more reliable....uses fewer parts and overall keeps very accurate time.......the truth of the matter is that the mechanical mechanisms that we covet so much had their heyday from the 1700's to about 1960...with the establishment of a better way of doing things coming in the 50's / 60's and 70's........after all....if Douglas DC9's or Sopwithh Camels were being presented as 'haute aviation" nowadays and advertised as the best way to travel.....we would laugh....and tell them to [censored] off......I can't think of any other production item that has been so 'improved' over the years...to the point where it is vastly superior to it's predecessor.......playing second fiddle to an item or system that preceded it...( with the possible exception of vinyl VS cd / dvd)......in almost every other area...cellular phones....clothing materials.....TV....cars.....etc etc....newer equals better and more acceptable to todays environment.....but with mechanical watches....we don't seem so willing to accept that...!

With watches we hang onto a glorious past that saw the rise of micro machines that could be used to record time...( chrono-graph ).....tell sidereal time.....alternate time zones....multiple time zones.....tool watches that allow us to record time at greater depths than ever before.......even venturing to other planetary bodies.....unfortunately those micro machines are susceptible to all of the foibles that have plagued all mechanical machinery since the industrial age..poor reliability...needing lubrication...regular servicing.....wear and tear.....etc etc.....but still we hang onto this rather old-fashioned method of measuring time.....why....a watch has but a solitary purpose.....to tell the time......by definition it's not a luxury item.....albeit nowadays that is the status that is conferred upon mechanical watches.....there are very few 'electronic' luxury watches......the reason being that the Swiss watch industry mounted a very succesful campaign against the quartz watch in the 70's...so much so that a significant number of mechanical watch nowadays have the appelation "fine mechanical timepiece' attributed to it.....at a time when all mechanical timepieces should have been consigned to the dustbin of history.....we are living in a Golden Age of more and more and more GENUINE mechanical timepieces being presented for our edification every year.......as is the case with reps....!

I think we need to be a little more forgiving and accepting of the fact that even the 'genuine fine mechanical timepieces" are susceptible to a lot of the problems that we experience.......even the best Patek's and Vacherons....all the manufacturers are dealing with old technology....micro machines from the past.....!

I'm of course talking only about the mechanical side of things.....not bad dial printing etc.....!

Though I do understand Neil's points.. I still love the mechanical watch and if they

ever went out of production, you would find me in some auction house bidding on

what will finally be a true investment... the mechanical watch... while using my

phone-pda-entertainment device for time.... ^_^

By the way Neil... what happened to my DeVille ? I've moved to San Fran..

e-mailing you the new address Now..... :whistling: