When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 5513 Case Review

ww12345

Here is my promised review of the DW 5513 case. Lots of pics, so beware, those of you with 56k modems…

Here’s a pic with everything (minus the crystal) put together. Looks OK from the outside. One minor quibble is that the edges are slightly rounded – ala Datejust – but could probably be fixed.

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1113.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

Pics of the serial number/registered design numbers. This was pretty cool, because DW was able to engrave a serial number I had requested.  I hope to make this into a PCG, so I got a serial number which would place it in the third quarter of 1964.

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1136.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg

Here is the caseback. Pretty good, overall. Needs a caseback seal, but overall seems to be better gen-like construction than the Josh version.

DSCN1121.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

The bezel is one major problem. Definitely NOT 1:I construction. It is the stupid paperclip bezel. No matter, as I will be replacing the entire assembly with the JMB bezel ring + the Josh bezel and insert. The insert on this bezel is remarkably bad. It seems very narrow.

DSCN1123.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

Here are the rehaut measurements. From my terrible measurements plus the fitting of a 25 mm dial, I believe the case I got will take my gen dial.

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

Image00013.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

This is the total space for a dial underneath the rehaut:

Image00015.jpg

and here is the rehaut opening space:

Image00014.jpg

Here is the outer rehaut measurement. Not very exciting, but I figured I would include it just in case.

DSCN1132.jpg

DSCN1133.jpg

Here are the overall dimensions. I measured depth, which seemed the proper narrow depth for a 5513. I also measured the width, which seemed right. Unfortunately I don’t have any specs for a gen 5513, so I couldn’t compare them.

DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

I tried fitting a gen crown on, and it does not fit. Not really a surprise to me, but might be interesting to others. I plan on fitting a gen crown plus a Clarks tube, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

Finally, the rest of the pics. They may be interesting to some people, so I figure that I’ll include them.

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1134.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Image00008.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

Edited by ww12345

btw something positive to about this case - gen/aftermarked T19/39 fits - other casebacks too - i installed a T19 and the bezel from Joshs 1655 on mine - they fit without glue and tight ...

will be some fantasy watch :) but not an 1680 ...

cheers,

Frank

Edited by Star69

"I ordered one of these cases before and sadly my gen dial did not fit. I think the one i got is a 1680 case stamped 5513. In the end i sold the case to another member."

It was not 1680 spec internally but more or less 5513 spec with the dial seat cut too big. A genspec 26mm dial falls through.

A 1575 date movement and dial will not fit properly either. The 1680 dial is Ok but the case screws and stem will not line up where they should.

What is needed is an (out of spec) 26.5mm or 27mm 5513 dial for a 1520.

...or maybe a genspec 1680 dial mounted on a 1520 no date movement with the date of choice cemented under the dial...28 like all the ads. :pimp:

• 2 years later...

To complement this review, I recently got a 1680 case.

Crown position is spot on. one must trim the inside of the crown guards as there is not enough room depending on the crown you want to have. Gen tropic is a little loose but with a gen/clarks bezel that is ok.

Lug holes must be re-drilled and there is no bevelled edges for the lugs.

Agree with c2424.

I have had pretty good luck with DW cases overall.

My last DW '1680' case from a couple months ago was a good fit with a genuine 1575 and 26.5mm genspec dial. I used a TC case tube/crown and had to cut the inside of the cg out on one side just a hair. A Clark T19 and bezel assembly fits the case Ok. Some other aftmkt crystals would not work. 

My last two DW cases came without numbers between the lugs but with lettered/numbered case backs.

I first ordered a couple DW cases about three years ago and they had full numbers back then. Since then I discovered that the DW cases I have are machined for a 1575 date movement and 26.5mm dial, including the cases numbered as '5513' cases.

All the dial windows on my cases are 26.0mm and a 26.0mm 5513 dial is too small. A 26.5mm 1680 oem spec dial is Ok.

Since my cases (including '5513' cases) are made for a 1575 date movement and 26.5mm dial, a 1520/70 no date movement and 5513 spec dial will not be a proper fit in the case because the movement is located in the case by a shoulder machined on the movement, not the dial. For this reason, the stem will still be centered in the case tube just fine but the dial will not fit up against the dial seat. When you put a 1520/70 no date movement and 26mm 5513 spec dial in one of these cases the dial will be about .5mm below the dial seat and this will work Ok as long as the dial foot screws stay tight.

All the case necks where the crystal mounts are 28.08mm to 28.10mm.

There are different case backs on the cases I have...

36.35mm od with 30.95mm threads

35.95mm od with 30.95mm threads

35.95 mm od with 30.4mm threads

Some case backs will accept oem spec gaskets and some will not because the grooves are too shallow.

They are good project cases for the price.

I have written a dozen posts on DW cases and apologize for boring everyone but it might save someone from getting in a mess.

DW cases = You pays you money and you gets da luck of da draw.  :euro:

Wow you guys know everything!

Only thing i have to say is, i bought two MBW 5513 cases, and both my gen dials fit beautifully.

Actually so did my 14060.

Now theres the matter of finding a gen 1665 dial (for cheap - wishful thinking), so i can use my mbw 1665 case!

It's an affliction. Everytime i'm in bangkok, i end up buying some mbw rolex case to build a frankie

"...I bought two MBW 5513 cases, and both my gen dials fit beautifully."

The dial seats in all the MBW/MBK 5512/13 and 1680 cases I have seen were machined to accept a 26mm dial on an Eta 2836. This is why the dials on their 1680 cases are trimmed down...they were originally 26.5 or 27mm and they had to be trimmed to fit the 26mm dial seat. The trouble starts when you try to install a genuine no date rolex 1520/30/60/70 with a genspec 26mm dial on it. The movement mounts too close to the front of the case and the stem does not center in the case tube and after you put a crown on it the threads will not line up correctly putting the crown in a bind.

The fix?

There is not one other than leaving the calendar spacer on a 1575 etc date movement with all the calendar stuff removed and use a 26mm 5512/13 dial (I have done this). Matter of fact I have a '5512' made this way with a no hack 1575 and Yuki dial. It turned out fine but I used case clamps and screws in place of the rolex style case screws that turn in a groove in the case and jam the movement toward the top of the case.

If you have a no date rolex movement and 26mm dial, a Yuki etc case is a better alternative imho even if they cost more. Either that or just go with an Eta movement in the MBW/MBK case.

A genspec 26.5mm 1680 dial on a 1575 date movement will line up Ok if you machine the dial seat out to about 26.7mm (I have done this). The catch is the dial window is too small and the markers are about half covered up by the reflector (rehaut).

The fixes?

Cut the dial window out to allow more of the dial markers to show (I have done this). You can get by with cutting the dial window at a 90 degree angle where it contacts the dial to increase the diameter but it will show if you are looking for it.

One alternative is to mount the lathe head at an angle and cut a steeper angle in the reflector to enlarge the dial window (I have done this too). It is a bit risky because there is not much room for error.

Nothing is easy.  :elvis: