When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6mm Brevet '+' Crown

JoeyB

The best deal and least expensive 6mm Brevet '+' Crown I have seen in the last 2½ years was from Nanuq, and that was still more than I wanted to spend, and most are quite a bit more at $300 and up. So a few months ago I contacted some of our suppliers I've come to know to see if they could get one - and struck out. Then a couple of weeks ago Ken at Raffles Time contacted me and said my crowns were in. I said "What crowns??" and he said the 6mm Brevet crowns. Ken came through! Now, as with any replica there are some faults, but all in all I think they are pretty good. I made a few 'adjustments' and I think they are very good.

The crown looks good from the front 6mmbrevet1.jpg

But the side view shows that they left it too wide 6mmbrevet6.jpg

CAUTION

CAUTION: JMB (Justin) and any professional machinists should view the following at your own risk. Your skills could be in jeopardy and ruined for life!

CAUTION

So, I got the bright idea to take one and clamp it into my trusty rusty Dremel tool and shape it crownshape2.jpg

The inside was easy, but the outside needs care so as to not hit the emblems crownadjust.jpg

I 'eyeballed' it to width, and angled to match my gen 6mm line crown. I was concerned that I might go through and make a hole if it was made as an outer shell, but it seems to be solid, as the gens are. No problem. And so, no more '6204 'big crown'!

6mmbrevet5.jpg

The other issue is the crown tube. The crown is 6mm but fits a 5.3 tube, 3.8mm. The tube part that goes into the case is the smaller one, 2.2mm, I need the 2.9mm (approx). I had one that worked, but it is a rep tube. I'd really like to get a gen tube but have no idea what the part number would be, and I can't find measurements of the gens. If anyone knows, let me know.

It's not perfect but I think quite serviceable, and at 10% of the going price it's damn nice! Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.rafflesti...rown-for/Detail

Definitely a good price.

I bought mine with tube from clasicwatchparts ($125).

Will post some pics later for comparison

Make sure the guts of the crown are good. In mine the inner hex plunger was slipping inside the crown and I couldn't wind my 6536.

I had that slipping with my gen 6mm crown on my 6542 and thought it was the movement too. Thanks to you and freddy, I will put the other 6mm + crown on and solve that issue.

freddy, I have tried to take the crown apart but couldn't budge it. Is it on really tight and needs force? Right hand threads? Push in to turn??

That does look good!

The 600 crown tubes (old and new style) are 4.35mm and 3.0mm on the receiving side on the case, so unfortunately, the Ken crown will not fit on a gen tube...

So there is no gen crown tube that is under 4mm (about 3.8MM for a 5.3mm crown) on the crown end and 3mm on the case end?

• 4 years later...

Send an email to Ken at Rafflestime. I had to use the 3mm tubes he had to fit the crown. Tell him you need the 'big ones'.  Initially he sent smaller threaded tubes that did not fit the cartel Explorer II case, or the Tiger case. The larger one fit fine, sealed to waterproof. I have not had a single issue with the threads/tube. Not one failure in 4 years now, on 3 watches including my daily 6542 wearer. Consistency being chancy, the one on my 6204 is surprisingly smooth.

3 2015 2.JPG

• 1 year later...