When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boss' Dad's Daytona

Reginald37

There has been a debate in gen circles about these dials in 6240s for years (see watchprosite for details). Concerning the watch Tribal is referring to, I highly doubt the fact that it's all original, but that's just due to the seller, nothing more.

On the other hand there are various reasons this 6240 might actually have left the factory/AD this way. One explanation is, as already stated, Rolex' tendency to use up old parts where they saw fit back in the days. This was common practice then, other manufacturers did the exact same thing (for example Omega on their transitional 861 speedies of the late 60s). For me personally that's the most reasonable explanation in this case.

Another reason might be, that the original buyer requested a black dial watch and the AD was happy to oblige and swapped the original dial for one he had lying around, which - in essence - would make it a franken watch in most collectors' eyes (especially on VRF, if not Rolex approved incl. paperwork ;)).

Nevertheless, while probably not a collector's dream, it's a beautiful piece and one your boss can and should be proud of one day, I know I would be.

Speaking of iffy-looking 6240s, has anyone seen the silver RCD on WatchGuru? Not only does it have a non-Oyster dial (with narrow 'Daytona'), but also an early SS bezel, Triplock, and a Precision-spec riveted bracelet!

As for the Boss's Dad's Daytona, I also imagine a scenario similar to one that wiesn089 described: Something may have happened in between the time it left the factory and arrived in the AD's display case. But I wouldn't rule out Rolex being fully responsible.

Not only does it have a non-Oyster dial (with narrow 'Daytona'), but also an early SS bezel, Triplock, and a Precision-spec riveted bracelet!

It screams "franken", "franken", "franken" :D

I will be very curious to see the papers of this one...

Personal opinion - this bezel is too much change... It looks much more better on a black/plastic bezel

Great find, M, never in a million years I would buy an "all original" 6240 with SS bezel!

Just another good example for why I'm convinced that sticking to high-end frankens is more reasonable than buying "original" vintage watches from "respected" dealers nowadays. At least we do really know what's what with our watches! :D

I agree with Ronin. When it comes to vintage Rolex, there are only approximations with nothing hard set in terms of when particular dials started/ended and in whatever combination one might expect to find. While it's possible to outline a rough idea as to when certain dials may have been consistently fitted in specific cases/references, the truth of the matter is that one can never really say with exact certainty when specific dial types were introduced to production assembly, nor in what case/pusher/crown type configuration (Oyster vs. non) they were fitted. There are too many Rolex anomalies spread across their historical production to state that xyz detail is ONLY for this or that reference and cannot be for anything else, or that a specific part couldn't have ever been fitted to a specific reference. Add in the fact that an RSC service can compound the situation further as they have been known to have installed whatever replacement dials they had available or were supplied in the past (and they have even refinished dials I might add), and the grey areas just get greyer.

Bottom line, Rolex is and should be treated as open ended when it comes to forming a self hypothesis and so-called 'hard facts'. Cause just when you think something couldn't be possible, an example of that impossibility will surface with evidence to support it's legitimacy.

So what do you do if you've got a DW 6239 rep you hardly wear, an extra pair of DW 7032 pushers, and two minutes? You make a half-assed 6240!

i-RLgJW8F-X3.jpg

Ehh... Maybe not! :)

One more thing: The more I search online and check through my picture archives, the more I find that RCD-dialed 6240s aren't all that rare. The consensus seems to be that these are the earliest versions of the 6240--a contention that's supported by the presence of the older, needle-like running seconds hand.

Is a franken watch a one owner watch that the same guy takes to the same jeweler for 30 years to get tuned up every few years? If Rolex puts on a service dial or xtal or bezel insert, or it's a combo you never saw, I guess that makes it Franken.

Sometimes we can be "too smart by half."

Tthat said I passed along a couple of the longer posts and they were both amazed by the depth of knowledge.

Still not for sale for those that PMed offers.

Franken, in my mind, conjures up a pieced together watch. Usually with a combination of Gen & Aftermarket parts. Franken, to me, also has a faint air of meant to deceive. YMMV.

Like Dr. Frankenstein's Monster, an arm from here, a leg from there -or- a dial from here, a case, bezel from there.

In the case of RSC performing ALL work on watch -NO- it should not be considered a Franken. No different than taking your car in for service or a recall, and the dealership retrofitting some new part.

I would NOT call a watch a Franken that:

1.) Contains all Genuine parts that a given model would have used (over its lifetime).

1a.) as above but fully maintained by RSC that might contain a retro fit (i.e. Lumi Dial where a T dial used to be).

2.) Is an honest to god "Variation" that came out of the factory.

I would call a watch a Franken that:

1.) Contains parts from various models. (i.e. a 16800 dial in a 1680. A "conversion" of a 16610 into a Two-Tone 16613.) Brozak called these "Swap-Jobs" in his book.

2.) (Per Rolex Definition) Contains aftermarket parts. (Personally, I think some of that is crap as certain parts should be excepted, especially if Rolex stops producing them).

Technically, (per Rolex) adding a Hirsch Leather Strap, makes it counterfeit! Crazy!

---

Final thought. I have collected various other things in the past. ONLY in the Rolex world have I seen a general disdain of potential variations -vs- an actual INCREASE in value and collectablity of said variations. (at least until some big-wig in the Rolex community "blesses" the variation, usually after they own it.)

Ya know... back when these were new, as has been said, they didn't sell all that well... so sold in '69 and made in '67? Oh I'm almost surprised that it sold that quickly.

As others have said, it does look like a 6240 to me, as far as the dial goes, who knows.. Rolex was a lot looser with spare parts back then and furthermore these were not exactly produced in huge numbers so who's to say?

As far as value.. depending on condition.. $20-30k probably.