When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are vintage submariners so popular

gplracer

Yep, it hearkens back to the days when men were men...when we measured days by the stubble of our beard, and knew the time by the Sun...When women were women and no surprise packages from the hookers...When children were seen and not heard and showed respect (OK, enough. I just about choked on that one!)

• Like 1

I( know it is wrong to just quote whole posts but, the vintage rolex sports are epitomised by these pictures below

They were hearty, accurate symbols of action, wealth & success, & worn by many serious divers

And some not-so-serious

and also

pussygalore.jpg?w=600

Oh Pussy, the world before PC

Why are vintage submariners so popular? I think they are even more popular than a modern sub. I have not owned or seen one up close so it is hard to compare.

I think you might have hit the nail right on the head here,.... youve never seen one up close, yet how many modern subs do you see every day at the local bar. You can walk into any AD and just buy a modern watch, but buying a vintage piece takes some knowledge, it makes you a collector. Its akin to the conversation in "gone in 60 seconds" about cars:

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...

Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?

Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.

Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.

Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

Precisely. Anyone with more money than brains can have a new Rolex in 30 minutes. If you want something like this it takes some looking and research and anticipation. And in my case a very generous late friend.

sub_gilt.jpg

• Like 1

Good point, but I believe there is more to it besides just not wanting to appear as another wealthy sheep in the luxury market herd. Vintage Subs (& other Rolex sports watches) were designed like tools, with little or no bling (how much gold & diamonds are needed in a hammer when nailing a nail) & that, I believe, is why they have endured & gained so much in value over the years.

Good point, but I believe there is more to it besides just not wanting to appear as another wealthy sheep in the luxury market herd. Vintage Subs (& other Rolex sports watches) were designed like tools, with little or no bling (how much gold & diamonds are needed in a hammer when nailing a nail) & that, I believe, is why they have endured & gained so much in value over the years.

yeah I agree totally! The unassuming simplicity of vintage sports and diving watches is what I love! The difference in approach reflects the fact that modern fine watches are no longer work tools...fliight computers have taken the job of chronometers, and dive computers have replaced dive watches for the most part in the professional range. Back when these watches were first designed they were vital life-support equipment, not just show off bling.

yeah I agree totally! The unassuming simplicity of vintage sports and diving watches is what I love! The difference in approach reflects the fact that modern fine watches are no longer work tools...fliight computers have taken the job of chronometers, and dive computers have replaced dive watches for the most part in the professional range. Back when these watches were first designed they were vital life-support equipment, not just show off bling.

Precisely. Now, even on the gen brand fora you hear people talking about their new dive watch, and ask questions like "can I take a shower with it?"

:huh:

Now, even on the gen brand fora you hear people talking about their new dive watch, and ask questions like "can I take a shower with it?"

And, just to sharpen the point - 'Can I take a shower with it?' is a reasonable question to ask when talking about an expensive, highly polished gold-highlighted piece of superfluous jewelry that gets spoiled (as opposed to improved) when scratched.