When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inputs needed - 6542 Project

siesta181

Hey Guys,

I am about to embark on my first 2012 project and its the 6542 white dial. Donerix's pictures just pushed me over the edge.

Its not going to be freddy good but I'd like it to be aesthetically close to the the real deal as possible.

The above will be the parts that I'll be using

1. PT 6542 GMT

2. NDT acrylic Bezel

3. Ingod white dial.

4. Tropic 116

5. Gen twinlock 6mm crown.

I'd appreciate any inputs from people who has built this before and also if anyone's built a roulette DW overlay for an ETA movement before....

Thanks in advance.

S181

1. Read Donerix's modding of the PT case to reduce the 'wokkiness'. http://www.rwg.cc/to...l__6542__st__20

2. I think you can get a much more accurate insert for $100 less than NDTrading. http://www.rwg.cc/to...__fromsearch__1 :whistling:

3. The PT dial might be a good one with a better lume job.

4. Clark's 25-116 is very good.

5. Ken at Raffles Time has the replica 6mm Brevet '+' crown and tube. Just make certain to tell him you need the 3.0 threads to the case. http://www.rwg.cc/to...__fromsearch__1

I think JMB can help you with the overlay.

Oh, and one more thing, in regards to the movement. Have it serviced. I have been told by a very reliable source that the ETA 2846-2 used in this watch is a genuine Swiss, but a used one refurbished with some Chinese parts. That makes it a really good deal, and easily serviceable.

I'll have to respectfully disagree about the stock dial. It's gash and that's being kind. Also, by replacing it (I used a Natalie's passion) it'll allow you to get rid of the wok. It, like the Ndt bezel, really transforms it. Of course the other available inserts will most likely do the same but I've not yet seen one installed in a good photo. Do keep us up to date on progress. I really wondered if it was worth spending all that money but when I got mine back from Dominico I could not stop grinning from ear to ear. Love it.

Natalie's passion is NDTrading Corp's ebay site. Natalie runs NDTrading.

The 2846-2 are all swiss so far, but the gmt part is a chinese addition. My watchmaker got mine running again after a service, but his comment about the gmt hand was that it's decorative- not correctly geared. The movements coming out of the Josh 1655- the DG3804- as Rolexaddict calls them, might be another possibility.

White dials are hard to find, I saw a couple on Ingod44's site last month, but they were bid up to $300 or so. Nothing currently on NDT, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

But an NDT dial could easily run more than a whole PT 6542 w/ a white dial.