When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Vs Gen

poretl

teach me dude

Caseback engravings, movement engravings, movement screws, crown, crown guard finish, and no.... it wasn't for those

little stickers covering the S/N's. In fact I noticed these after some of the details that simply SCREAM "gen".

The factory nearly nailed it with the current pieces. But "side by side" it's still obvious.

Edited by www_watch

Caseback engravings, movement engravings, movement screws, crown, crown guard finish, and no.... it wasn't for those

little stickers covering the S/N's. In fact I noticed these after some of the details that simply SCREAM "gen".

The factory nearly nailed it with the current pieces. But "side by side" it's still obvious.

Oh, let me understand. You identified the rep by the method of elimination (simply because I told you one is gen and the other is rep)?

Then how many seconds would it take you if I found you on the street and handed the rep to you with no gen to compare against? Still 1 sec?

Then how many seconds would it take you if I found you on the street and handed the rep to you with no gen to compare against? Still 1 sec?

Yes. Probably even less.

After all... one opening of the lever and one turn of the crown would be enough.

I own gen and rep. I could tell one from another in the dark (no... not because of the lume.... ;) )

Yes. Probably even less.

After all... one opening of the lever and one turn of the crown would be enough.

I own gen and rep. I could tell one from another in the dark (no... not because of the lume.... ;) )

So you are that of an expert. How about that 005 that everyone is talking about being probably the best rep ever made? Still one second on the street without the gen to compare?

What do you wanna hear from me?

You're looking for that "perfect" rep?

This is reminding a bit of "Who has the best sub?"

I think you still have plenty of homework to do.

There is no such thing like "the perfect piece".

Whether you can pass it as a "gen" or not always depends on who you come across with it.

Simple as that.

And no... I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I just lived and learned.

So should you.

It took me several secs...I didnt count. :)

These new Pams are really very good...excellent In fact. But there will always be some little flaw...always.

99.99999999% of the people you will bump into In real life situations will not have a clue...or probably care.

Now If a person Is going try to convince someone who knows a thing or three about watches...that It's the genuine article......well. ;)

Mike

that's not what I'm saying at all. Not looking for the perfect rep. I know there is no such thing. And if you put a gen and a rep next to each other 1000% there will be differences. At least some very minor one. But they will be there. So one has to conclude that one os fake and the other is real. Now the question is: which is which? In general, there are 4 possibilities:

A: You have 2 watches side by side, there are visible differences and:

1. you know which one is the gen then then other has to be the rep. Simple as that. That would be the case when you walk into a store, for example, and they have that model in stock.

2. you don't know which one is the gen, but you know for sure one is gen, you will still (probably) be able to tell by picking the one that shows the most detail. The best craftsmanship.

3. you don't know if any of the 2 is a gen. Then they may both be reps. One probably better quality than the other.

B: I only give you one watch. Hight quality. So no comparison. In the middle of nowhere.

1. Is it a rep or a gen?

I never said I am looking for the perfect rep. It does not exist and we established that. (Of course I want to say here that the prerfect rep not existing is only in the sense of not being 100% identical to the ge and NOT necessarily not being of the same or even better quality when you look at them- See A2 case above). What amazes me, however, is that everyone, under all 4 sceanarios I described above, can spot a rep in under 1 sec. THAT, I don't believe. I'm VERY sorry.

Edit #1: Actually not just in under 1 sec. but in the dark as well. And no, not because of the lume.

Edit #2: On A2 above I wanted to make a comment. How many of you guys said one million times that aftermarket (non-OEM) straps are 100 times better than OEM? Many. What if they also put the Panerai markings on them? And what if I saw you on the street (around midnight- complete dark) and we were under scanario A2 or B1? Still spot the rep in under 1 sec? Just curious.

Edited by poretl

Putting panerai markings on a rep or aftermarket strap does nothing for the quality of the said strap.

After reading the midnight bit tho, mate, I'd like to offer you one more scenario - how about you keep the watch in your pocket or leave it at home altogether, that'll make things interesting! :wacko:

Putting panerai markings on a rep or aftermarket strap does nothing for the quality of the said strap.

After reading the midnight bit tho, mate, I'd like to offer you one more scenario - how about you keep the watch in your pocket or leave it at home altogether, that'll make things interesting! :wacko:

First, when I said put the Panerai markings on an best quality aftermarket one was only to show how under A2 you can be wrong about your guess.

I think you missed something. The midnight bit is not my bit. It's www_wolf's bit.

I think you missed something about www_wolf :lol:

Anyway, best quality is subjective and unimportant for your example. Let me explain- I know Panerai (OEM Hirsch Armbander) strap quality, so if you take a Panerai style strap made by Atelier du Braslet Parisien or Atelier Camille Fournet, stamp them with Panerai makings - I will know they are off from Hirsch, and they will most likely be better in quality too.

Comment #3: A couple of months ago, while I was changing the strap on my rep U-Boat, I lost one screw. Went to a couple of generic repair shops and all I got for a reply was 'this is so unique, I guarantee you you won't find it anywhere'. I ended up taking the watch at a store in the mall that sells expensive watches. Tag Heuer, Panerai, Hublot etc. I asked 'do you have U-Boat?". One guy said no but he held up the watch after I told him what my problem was and he ended up giving it to another guy. Mid 50s. He held the watch, he looked at it front back, turned it around a couple of time and he said something like "That's a big watch, nice!". He then went on the side and sat on his desk and looked at it under the loupe to see what screw that was. And while he was playingthere with the watch he said "I may be able to get a screw like that but it will be silver. But then it won't look good. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer, is it still under warranty?" and the convesation continued. At some point I even said I paid $4700 for it, too. He even tried to find U-Boat's phone number to help me but he finally couldn't get it. And this whole thing took place not in the dark. Plenty of light. The guys is a guy who kbnows what an expnsive watch looks like. He sees them, he touches them, he repairs them. Of course I didn't ask him to check it and double check it if it was real but he surely even looked at it unde the loupe (at least part of it). And it never occured to him it may be fake. Now you can see where I'm coming from when I say I don't buy the "I can spot anything in uder 1 sec and not only that but in the dark too!" theory.

You won't be happy until you'll get an answer you want to hear so I'll just say it to save some time:

Your reps are awesome, nobody can tell they're not real, you are totally fooling everyone, even some 50 year old dude who works in the mall watch dealer and knows more about watches than all of us combined. Congratulations, you have arrived.

• Like 1

You won't be happy until you'll get an answer you want to hear so I'll just say it to save some time:

Your reps are awesome, nobody can tell they're not real, you are totally fooling everyone, even some 50 year old dude who works in the mall watch dealer and knows more about watches than all of us combined. Congratulations, you have arrived.

Thanks, that exactly what I wanted to hear. Was that so difficult?