When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Monte Carlo? Me Too, Me Too!

jmb

OK, I waited long enough to build this that it is now "old news" and really not that special anymore... But, nevertheless, I still think they are a way cool looking watch. Although I cracked the crystal soon after completing this project I'm still wearing it and figured I better go ahead and post about it before something serious happens to it! I will probably turn a new crystal once I get my right hand back...

The roadmap to this destination is pretty familiar to everybody on this forum so I won't bore the collective with intimate details just a basic overview. I will preface this by saying that this was an extremely easy watch to build thanks to all those who have went before me. This would actually be a great "first chronograph" project for a budding new modder/builder.

Like the majority of these around here this started life as a DW case kit. It took a whole week to track down a donor watch for the Val. 7734 movement. :whistling: I went with the 30m totalizer movement as they seem to be much easier to come up with and fairly reasonable at around $250 on fleabay. The only case mods I did was to bob and round the end of the lugs a bit and re-brush. I had planned on a bit more chamfer on the case edge but this case came with the pushers screwed in tight so I didn't want to risk messing them up on removal. I used a run-of-the-mill rep Brushed Oyster bracelet with the typical 455b rep end-links. A little re-shaping and judicious bending was needed to persuade the end link shells to sort of fit. Although they do not fit perfectly I have seen examples that were worse. I have a few sets of the wo990 end-links for the fat springbars and although this watch does not use the fat bars I may try one of the links to see if it stands a chance of fitting better.

Here's a few pics to serve as my Monte Carlo Club membership application! ;)

MC%201.jpg

MC%202.jpg

MC%203.jpg

MC%204.jpg

MC%205.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Sorry, P, but it is now brushed... :whistling: I remembered from working over a case for M that I preferred the brushed bezel but forgot to prep this one before I pressed it home...

Thanks, mdlzr, I still have a little over a week before I get my right hand back but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! It's nice to have fingers that are not tingling or going numb!

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I keep coming back to look at this. I also just remembered something I've been meaning to ask:

Are these 40mm or 42mm? I love this watch!

40mm mate, its a very cool and retro watch ;)

Thanks, mdlzr, I still have a little over a week before I get my right hand back but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! It's nice to have fingers that are not tingling or going numb!

I am happy to hear the healing process is on track! Before you know it you will be back in full swing making your horological art with both hands! :)

i just love this watch... finally finishing up my master's degree this month.. I'll have som freaking time on my hands for the first time in over a year and a half! (for those of you that may or may not have been wondering.. why the hell i dropped off.. I think my total post count for the last year has been close to 30... ) When i get back in the rep game this spring.. this looks like an attractive project to get into :) that is, unless i can skip the project part and buy it off some poor sap that wants to get rid of his :)

i just love this watch... finally finishing up my master's degree this month.. I'll have som freaking time on my hands for the first time in over a year and a half! (for those of you that may or may not have been wondering.. why the hell i dropped off.. I think my total post count for the last year has been close to 30... ) When i get back in the rep game this spring.. this looks like an attractive project to get into :) that is, unless i can skip the project part and buy it off some poor sap that wants to get rid of his :)

I was wondering what you've been up to R! Nice to see you around again!

I'm sure by the spring there will be someone looking to unload their MC (although for the life of me I cannot imagine why that would be?)