When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Franken Questions

msp

Hey,

I'm about to complete my franken 1675..

So far I got a gen Dial .. Not sure which Mk but I think it's a Mk1

Gen tube, crown,

Gen 25-116

Gen open 6 DW I wanna use as an overlay..

1675_dial_gloveshotghmf.jpg

Now I got several questions..

The first bummer is the MOVEMENT..

I read a thread regarding Zodiac movements.. I believe gen hands fit and they wind up the same way a 1575 does. If yes.. Do gen hands fit.. Where can I get fitting hands, etc.

I don't wanna waste my parts for a 21j because I want a "real" GMT movement.

Perhaps a gen 1575? They seem to be non reachable ( at least for me )

Or a gen ETA 2893-2.. Cheap as chips on the bay

The CASE

Yuki ? Phong? Any others?

PLEASE HELP ME !!! :(

Cheers,

ms

Nice Mark 1 long "E" dial. First, depending on what overlay you have, it may not work - make sure the numbers are progressing in the correct direction.

Second, I hate to rain on the parade, but technically a gen 1575 movement isn't a "true GMT" either. The GMT hand isn't independantly settable it only follows the hour hand. And a DG 3804 is a true GMT.

Your options are limited:

1.) PolexPete and others have ruled out the Zodiac if I recall correctly. Getting hands and the movement to fit is too challenging.

2.) ETA 2836 with GMT module. ( I don't care what anyone says these are ALL ASIAN ETA's, at a minimum the module is)

3.) DG3804. The best Budget GMT movement out there. 21.6 bph, correct hand stack for 1675, and the 'newer' version date wheels line up with GEN Rolex Dials. Also, it fit in a GEN Case or Yuki with minimal modification to a Stilty retaining ring. (Yuki adapter would probably work also).

4.) A21J (multi-vendor) with "Fixed" 24hr running at half speed. (Technically most correct to the 1575-GMT as the GMT is NOT independently settable)

5.) GENUINE 1575-GMT ($1500 average for a well running/serviced version)

*6.) Convert a PT/Josh 1655 Explorer II

Personally, if budget is driving option 3 is pretty good with a GEN SPEC case or option 6.

Hey,

I'm about to complete my franken 1675..

So far I got a gen Dial .. Not sure which Mk but I think it's a Mk1

Gen tube, crown,

Gen 25-116

Gen open 6 DW I wanna use as an overlay..

1675_dial_gloveshotghmf.jpg

Now I got several questions..

The first bummer is the MOVEMENT..

I read a thread regarding Zodiac movements.. I believe gen hands fit and they wind up the same way a 1575 does. If yes.. Do gen hands fit.. Where can I get fitting hands, etc.

I don't wanna waste my parts for a 21j because I want a "real" GMT movement.

Perhaps a gen 1575? They seem to be non reachable ( at least for me )

Or a gen ETA 2893-2.. Cheap as chips on the bay

The CASE

Yuki ? Phong? Any others?

PLEASE HELP ME !!! :(

Cheers,

ms

I've just bought star69 very nicely done 1675 which has the DG movement . From the research

I did the majority opinion is to use a josh 1655 case and get it re shaped. I have used phong case sets for both 1665 and 1655 Franken builds and while they are,in my opinion the best available in terms of correct serial numbers your looking at 1,500 usd a pop. By the Time you put in a correct 1575 movement(not a badly modded 1570,be very careful!) 2,600 usd for one. you'd be better buying a gen

Just out of interest, would you have to remove the positioning feet on the gen dial in order to fit it to the DG movement? I dont have any experience with the movement. If so it seems a shame to do that to a gen dial. I'd sell the gen dial and buy an aftermarket one and get it nicely modded by pbdad or ziggy. Live with the watch for a while and maybe consider a gen long term

I found this on ebay for you, item - 260785663291, suitable for an early GMT, i think it would go with the age of your dial as well, Experts please chime in.

Buy a josh 1655,get the case modded correctly to an early pointed crownguard and send it to phong for re-engraving (200.00usd) to match the age of the movement and dial. Gen crown and tube and a nice set of colour matched aftermarket hands.Thats what i would do if you don't want to end up spending the same amount as a Gen would cost you.

Your options are limited:

1.) PolexPete and others have ruled out the Zodiac if I recall correctly. Getting hands and the movement to fit is too challenging.

2.) ETA 2836 with GMT module. ( I don't care what anyone says these are ALL ASIAN ETA's, at a minimum the module is)

3.) DG3804. The best Budget GMT movement out there. 21.6 bph, correct hand stack for 1675, and the 'newer' version date wheels line up with GEN Rolex Dials. Also, it fit in a GEN Case or Yuki with minimal modification to a Stilty retaining ring. (Yuki adapter would probably work also).

4.) A21J (multi-vendor) with "Fixed" 24hr running at half speed. (Technically most correct to the 1575-GMT as the GMT is NOT independently settable)

5.) GENUINE 1575-GMT ($1500 average for a well running/serviced version)

*6.) Convert a PT/Josh 1655 Explorer II

Personally, if budget is driving option 3 is pretty good with a GEN SPEC case or option 6.

You can always use real eta gmt movement it fits just right.

You can always use real eta gmt movement it fits just right.

I'm rebuilding my Sillix case 1675 coz the original 2836 GMT movemt died on me. I have a gen ETA2893-2 GMT movement which as cib0rgman says does fit but as you can see in pics below the datewheel is 'sunk' because of the GMT gear. Not sure i can live with that ...

IMG_4809.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

Cheers

P.

I'm rebuilding my Sillix case 1675 coz the original 2836 GMT movemt died on me. I have a gen ETA2893-2 GMT movement which as cib0rgman says does fit but as you can see in pics below the datewheel is 'sunk' because of the GMT gear. Not sure i can live with that ...

Cheers

P.

is your dial GEN?

Your movement looks the same as mine but mine the datewheel does not look sunken at all, Hmmmmm

WP_000025.jpg

...yours is missing the overlay that gives you the 'issue' with the gear. Your DW as photoed would not align with a GEN Date Window it is too far to the outside.