When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date Changes Early

Adeodatus

I've noticed that the date on my watch changes early. It started with 5 min before midnight and now the date changes around 12 min before midnight, all in a matter of couple of months. It also looses around 5 sec per day, but this is consistent.

Should I be worried? Can something be done to make the watch change the date around midnight?

To correct the date change time, you need to remove the hands, slowly cycle the movement through a 24-hour cycle just as the date changes & then reinstall the hands. Depending on how close you want to get it & how much effort you are willing to expend, you should be able to get it pretty close. For reference, I believe Rolex still specs 30 seconds +/- midnight.

Like all reps, your watch has a used &/or unserviced movement. So you should get it overhauled upon receipt if you want it to be as accurate/reliable as it can.

It seems almost physically impossible for the time of the date changeover to continually change since it's a function of a set of gears that are totally constant in their revolutions.

I'd need one of the wtachmaker/modders to explain that one before I'd believe it.

My thoughts are that it could be due to slippage of the minute hand on its pinion, and that when re-setting the time, it has simply gone unnoticed. As Freddy said, just a matter of decasing the movement, removing the hands, running the crown till the date wheel moves, immediately taking fingers off the crown, and reinstalling the hands pointing as close to the 12 Marker as possible :good:

It seems almost physically impossible for the time of the date changeover to continually change since it's a function of a set of gears that are totally constant in their revolutions.

I'd need one of the wtachmaker/modders to explain that one before I'd believe it.

My older UPO with clone ETA does this and there's no question about It. The date currently changes at 5:20, and it is always different altho it does not change quickly .. that is to say, I've had over two years now and it's moved from 12:00 to 5:20 over those years.

My thoughts are that it could be due to slippage of the minute hand on its pinion, and that when re-setting the time, it has simply gone unnoticed. As Freddy said, just a matter of decasing the movement, removing the hands, running the crown till the date wheel moves, immediately taking fingers off the crown, and reinstalling the hands pointing as close to the 12 Marker as possible :good:

This is exactly the thought that went through my head before I scanned down to see it stated by someone else. Our reps are not always put together in the best fashion, and I've had this happen to one of my watches. Best solution is to send it off for a complete service and they'll reseat the hands well, and it'll change much closer to midnight.

Only think i can think off that would cause it to change consitantly earlyer would be a slipping cannon pin bit would be noticable though as the hands would start to not be aligned, does the time setting feel very easy

In my case, the time setting feels very nice .. not too stiff and not loose.