When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, I've heard people talk about RWG 1.1, but...

tabularasa415

...what's the difference between them and us? Was there a split? Are there people who are members of both forums? I've heard of RWG 1.1 mentioned, and I just looked around the site (looks to be set up much like ours). I've been a member here for a while and I was just curious of the history...

The original RWG was owned by a guy nicked Blade.

He disappeared in 2006 (believed to have been jailed)

A bunch of members approached our current Admin Thomas, who ran the TRC forum.

The new RWG was established and most old time members migrated and have been here since

The old RWG floundered for a few years and was then resurrected by the current admins

Thats the condensed version :)

It's a long story and there are people that can explain it better than I. In a nutshell the old place was circling the drain, so a bunch of us decided to build a new replacement RWG and on the appointed day we released the URL to the members over on the old site and said "come take a look". We picked up a few thousand new members here the first couple days. I'm member #32, but we have that feature turned off now. We affectionately call the old site "RWG jr." but they don't like that much.

Do some digging, the story is here somewhere. It's worth the research.

OK, cool... wasn't sure what the story was. :)

I'm now a member of all the fora (at least to my knowledge the big ones) -- RWI, WC and RepGeek. This is my home, and where I feel the most "brotherhood," but I think it's interesting to see the different approaches of different fora.

It has all to do with Blade, how the original RWG was run after he abandoned it...

Greg, Col, JohnG, Luthier and a couple of other knuckleheads enjoyed the freedome of no moderation.

So after spending some time in the 'looney bin' of this very forum 'real-watch-guide.com' now 'rwg.cc' they chipped in and started

a revival of the old RWG and created a new forum.

About 1 year and a bit ago, they accquired the original hosting name 'replica-watches-guide.com'

Therefore, even if Nanuq does it differently....replica-watches-guide is called RWG1.1 by most members and this place is either RWG2 or RWGjr.

Mainly because the RWG1.1 is meant to be like the original RWG in it's last days.

You can read more about it here

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4298

The community (the actual people on the forum) of RWG moved en-masse to here in 2006 and continue to this day.

The old forum carried on like the Mary Celeste for years, for a long time populated mainly by Johnnyboy personas (he'd sit and talk with himself). Years later, these other folk arrived at that Mary Celeste forum and declared themselves guardians of it. Then when it fell over, they started a new, third forum without the old database or membership (they didn't have the data or access) - the discussions for them starting it are in the Loony Bin here.

To follow with another ship anology, naval vessels often carry on the name of previous naval vessels. The crew and sailors of the old ship moved to this one of the same name, and the old ship was scuttled to make a diving attraction and now sites at the bottom of the waves. Years later, divers visiting the wreck decided that it would make a good name for their new ship. But it's a different ship that came much later.

From the archives:

The community (the actual people on the forum) of RWG moved en-masse to here in 2006 and continue to this day.

That's a great summary, Cornerstone. And since the "elders" from the original RWG are here, with the archives, history and scars, the newcomers over on the new-forum-with-the-old-name are the "juniors".

The old forum carried on like the Mary Celeste for years, for a long time populated mainly by Johnnyboy personas (he'd sit and talk with himself). Years later, these other folk arrived at that Mary Celeste forum and declared themselves guardians of it.

I don't know about that,but Jean and Dumpey,were characters indeed. How the two would enjoy bickering with themselves was a sight to behold.

To answer the OP's question,i was the guy that had the most posts on the original RWG when it went offline and the guys that run "rwg 1.1" are guys that joined RWG shortly before the lights went out for good,then started a copy of the forums format. Simple as that,no more and no less.

You dont hear much about it here as it really has nothing to do with RWG,past or present.

This forum was started years ago by guys that were part of the original and moved on when Blade basically did the same,but left his forum up for as long as it did,which was longer then it was suppose to.