When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom GMT IIc - BK Made with ETA 2893-2

redwatch

Had this one for a little while now, but just haven't had a chance to grab a pic of it yet. This is my one off, custom BK made GMT IIc with a genuine ETA 2893-2 jump hour GMT movement. Also has all the BK trimmings including the custom BK Date Wheel Overlay.

Only have a couple of pics so far, but the photo studio is set up so if there is something you would like to see, please don't hesitate to ask!

99942bd5.jpg

d1149e96.jpg

65f34efe.jpg

06f158c8.jpg

Just got this one back from the Spa. Nicely re-lumed and an AR'd Cyclops installed :tu:

498019c0.jpg

defd92f1.jpg

No they are not. But I'm ok with that. I just like having the correct GMT functionality. The jumping hour hand complication is quite slick!!

It is slick, you're gonna love that movement. Some of the 'experts' I've read doing side by side comparisons rate the ETA 2893-2 as a better movement than the Rolex 3186. They've almost doubled in price over the last two years, so I took mine out of my 6542 and put in my 16710 that I wear every day.

Redwatch - do you know what BK did to your movt to make it a jumping GMT? I rmb 2893 was not a jumping GMT? Also, do the hands fit rite onto the 2893 or BK had to glue them? I was planning to do a watch like yours, then afraid the hands from the noob wont fit....

@ pete--try using a 2836 datewheel, it has the "step" and I've found that's enough to get the DWO over the gears.

Thanks sneed, i contacted bk and he made me realise that the datewheel on the movement i have has had the numbers and paint removed making the overlay sit lower. I will replace it with a raised 2836 dw today and see how it is.

Cheers

P.

what about the hands size? will the normal 2836 hands fit on 2893-2?

@ pete--try using a 2836 datewheel, it has the "step" and I've found that's enough to get the DWO over the gears.

@ Bll--All 2893-2 are "jumping GMT hand" from the factory. You can tell by looking at the GMT hand wheel, you can see the detent spring.

Beautiful! Man I am envious. At one time, I guess about a year ago, BK was going to offer this service with either a complete watch from him or a build with the customer providing the parts. He even had a post or two showing the hand conversions. I suppose it didn't work out to make this a commercially feasible project?

I have the GMTIIC as well as a 2893-2 I bought from FXAndy, but thus far I haven't been able to find anyone who would do the conversion. Guess I'll shoot BK a PM!

Anyone else have any suggestions as to who could do the movement swap, I would like to know?

what about the hands size? will the normal 2836 hands fit on 2893-2?

Yes, all the ETA 28XX movements use the same size hour, minute and second hands. The GMT hand for the ETA 2893-2 is the same as for the Rolex 1575, but NOT the same as those used on the modified 2836-2 or the DG 21j movements, they have larger pinions. The Rolex Tudor is ETA equipped, so Tudor hands will work on the ETA 2893-2 as well.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to who could do the movement swap, I would like to know?

The bottom of pinion and the GMT gear sit above the date wheel line. So the one way is to machine the back of the dial so there are two circle indents for the gears to sit in, bringing the movement closer to the dial. Or you can try to 'shim' the movement by using a dial spacer of differing thicknesses. I had to thin mine out to the point that the GMT hand would still 'bite' on the GMT pinion, and the stem would line up with the case tube while clearing the dial. I believe it all depends on the case due to the case tube. The 'worst' scenario only because of cost is to buy the longer pinions from an ETA supplier.