When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TwoTone's RWG Blog...

TwoTone

Hands-On With The Awesome Panerai Luminor Tourbillon

GMT Ceramica (PAM 396) - Source: Hodinkee

104720.jpg

This could be my favorite Panerai of SIHH, and in my opinion, represents the very

best of what Panerai is about. The Luminor Tourbillon GMT Ceramica is exactly what

it sounds like, a ceramic tourbillon with a GMT function, but to me, it's a little bit

more. First, there is just something so appealing about Panerai's matte black ceramic

case against their brown aged strap. The combination is just killer.

Then, of course, there is the GMT function, which is one of my favorite complications

on any watch of any kind. But, what makes this watch really special is of course what

lays behind the sandwich dial on this PAM - the incredible Panerai P.2005 in-house

tourbillon movement. Notice we said "behind," as this tourbillon is indeed a secret

tourbillon that is invisible without taking the watch off. But, when you do take the

watch off to turn the PAM 396 over, you're in for a treat.

The P.2005 tourbillon movement, first introduced in 2007, has been entirely coated

in black to match the ceramic case, and it just looks mean. Also, you will notice that

most of the movement is hidden by the plate, and really only the tourbillon is visible,

along with the gold six-day power reserve indicator. This caliber in this configuration

is called the P.2005/B, indicating it as been coated in black, and we have to say, it

just looks great.

104721.jpg

Back on the dial side, you will see a GMT hand, and AM/PM register for the second

timezone, and a running seconds at 9 o'clock. What makes that running seconds

display so cool is those small dots (see below for better picture) are actually tied to

the tourbillon's rotation and makes its revolution once per 30 seconds.

The PAM 396 is not a small watch by any means - in fact it is a full 48mm in diameter.

But, I suspect most people in the market for a Panerai tourbillon are perfectly

comfortable with a watch of this size. And, while big watches are not my thing, I

found this one surprisingly appropriate for my wrist and if one is to make an exception

about wearing a jumbo sized watch, it may as well be for a totally bad ass ceramic

hidden tourbillon like the PAM 396. Price is expected to be around $141,000.

104722.jpg

104723.jpg

104724.jpg

104725.jpg

104726.jpg

104727.jpg