When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster '62 Reissue: It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah

lhooq

Just when I thought I'd start saving my pennies for a Tudor Pelagos, Omega goes and releases a Speedmaster I've wanted ever since it made that half-hearted "1957 Reissue" in 1998.

i-KLkvwn6-X3.jpg

"First OMEGA in Space"* aka "Wally Schirra" aka "CK2998 Redux". I'm sure I can think up a bunch more later. Some early thoughts:

• I love how the mid-case looks, and how it recalls the proportions of the Pre-Moon Speedy.
  • What's the lug spacing on this one? Is a bracelet a possible option?
  • Sapphire crystal is a mistake.
  • Perhaps the mis-matched chrono hands are based on a real example, but I really think they should have been all sticks or all Dauphines. If anything, the running seconds should have a thinner hand than the other two.
  • A bit more creativity on the dial would've been nice. The '57 Reissue's dial would look good in this one. So would the hands and bezel, for that matter. (Wonder if they would fit?)

My biggest issue with the "Schirra" is the price. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the MSRP of CHF 4750 given the inflation of Omega prices in general, and of its special editions, specifically. But I can't help thinking that that pile of cash would go a long way toward buying an original, straight-lugged c.321 Speedy, though probably not a CK2998.

Best-case scenario for me? One of our friends in China decides to rep the new case, sending us all scurrying to bid on old Lemania 1873 chronographs!

Still.. Nice one, Omega.

(*When did OMEGA become all-caps?)

I don't know..they get an "A" for effort, and I do like the case...but the crystal, strange subdial hands situation..kinda not for me. :mellow:

Maybe that's a rendering/mockup...and they are working it out? (i think I would rather have the new Tudor)