When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What does yuki meen by this...

Guest zeleni kukuruz

There are two version of the rivet bracelet.

One had springs in it so that the bracelet could expand.

The other didn't so it just like a normal braclet.

This si the version in your link.

Hi Zeleni,

Imagine the bracelet has got a piece of elastic running through it, when you pull it the links stretch. A lot of the watch companies made them during the 1960's.

The one your interested in is a standard linked bracelet as per a 7836 etc

Hope that helps!

Cheers DH

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Hi Zeleni,

Imagine the bracelet has got a piece of elastic running through it, when you pull it the links stretch. A lot of the watch companies made them during the 1960's.

The one your interested in is a standard linked bracelet as per a 7836 etc

Hope that helps!

Cheers DH

Aahhaa now i get it :)

Thanks guys for the help!!!

Guest zeleni kukuruz

You know those cheesy 60's bracelets like speidel that flexed?

Rolex made versions of the rivets that did that. I have one and do not reccomend them.

They pinch the hairs on your arm. Ouch!

Hahaha, ok good! Im not a man that shaves my arms :D

What does he meen with "without flexible springs"?

Back in the 1960s, Speidel sold a stretchable metal bracelet called Twist-O-Flex, which was very popular, especially with divers, which allowed them to easily slip their watch over their wet-suited wrist

speidel0061.jpg

To compete, many companies (Rolex included) produced stretchable versions of their metal bracelets. Unfortunately, while a nice convenience, stretchable metal links tend to pinch skin & pull (arm) hair, making them some of the least comfortable bracelets ever made, which is why many companies (Rolex included) continued to sell non-stretchable versions of their metal bracelets long after production of the stretchable versions ceased.

For High School graduation my Mother gave me a Bulova watch and I had the jeweler put the Speidel 'Twist-O-Flex' band on it. Being a young Greek with very hairy arms, I didn't wear it much because it did pinch a lot. After my 1st tour to Vietnam I lost all the hair from my waist down and all my extremities. Problem solved. There's always a bright side...

For High School graduation my Mother gave me a Bulova watch and I had the jeweler put the Speidel 'Twist-O-Flex' band on it. Being a young Greek with very hairy arms, I didn't wear it much because it did pinch a lot. After my 1st tour to Vietnam I lost all the hair from my waist down and all my extremities. Problem solved. There's always a bright side...

Damn

Book Bond wore a stretch bracelet (although Fleming's Rolex band was not one). ;)

A few posters here say they have no problem with hair pinching with the expandables, I wonder what the difference is (I think they are both haired individuals...)

That's cause he used it as a Knuckle duster

Actually I suspect it's for the same reason he didn't like lace-up shoes (which although never given explicitly, was probably for speed and convenience of dressing). ;)

The trick to be comfortable on the riv-expanding bracelets is that they should fit without a lot of expanding and then only adjust e.g. to a little swollen wrist.

And of course the mid links have to be bent fully closed and not as seen on many been left open as hair catching tweezers...

Dee