When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making a gen style 16710 case out of a 16570 case and TW bezel assembly

bklm1234

There are sub, YM, and Exp2 reps in gen construction. There was never a GMT II 16710 in gen construction. Just when I planned to do a gen style GMT II 16710 using the noobfactory Exp2 case and wm9 bezel assembly, the noobfactory terminated production of both the GMT II and Exp2. Sneed12 had the same idea and did one with the noobfactory Exp2 I believe.

With the new SL'd 40mm Exp2, it's possible to make an awesome gen style GMT II 16710 case again. It's even easier than using the noobfactory Exp2.

Stick a utility razor blade between the Exp2 bezel and the case

IMG_1150.jpg

Pound on the razor blade with a mallet to open a gap

IMG_1146.jpg

The bezel comes off, usually together with the crystal and gasket. Use a crystal press to push the crystal down and off the bezel. Don't push the crystal off from below. That ruins the gasket and possibly break the little ridge on the underside of the crystal

IMG_1167.jpg

Now you have the bare case

IMG_1178.jpg

Notice gen style crystal has an interlocking ridge on the underside

IMG_1189.jpg

Here's the part why this case is easier to make a gen style GMT II case than the noobfactory Exp2 case

IMG_1227-1.jpg

You can just get a 2.35mm crystal gasket and install the crystal and retaining ring. The TW sub bezel assembly is perfect for this project. With a Clark bi-directional click spring, the bezel turns both directions like a GMT II bezel should

IMG_1545.jpg

Snap on a JewelryOutlet990 pepsi insert. CGs was trimmed. Voila, a gen style, high quality GMT II 16710. Perfect fit, perfect crystal height. Very easy.

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

bk

• Like 2

The hand sizes you post seem to be of a CHS 2836-2....??

Are they making one that's dependable these days??

i dont know. I do buy parts from this ebay guy. like hands and custom blake dials that he gets for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220963229612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2428wt_1188

@highoeyazmuhudee: the band aid is from polishing another case. This is a high risk hobby indeed.

@freddy333: The bezel numbers have gone through a few fonts. One is like what you posted. Another is non serif like on my gen 16710, which is similar to the JO insert's on this sample. The JO insert's number are too tall though and number 12 isn't centered. It's quite an ok insert for $10.

@ZK: I haven't measured the thickness of the case. It looks quite correct next to my gen 16710. One interesting thing about the bezel: gen 16710 bezel is actually thinner than gen 16610 sub bezel (~2.86mm). But all gen style sub rep bezels, including TW sub, TC/wm9, ETASwiss, are thinner (~2.64mm to ~2.74mm) than gen sub bezel. So using any one of these bezel assemblies is not far off from gen 16710.

bk

Edited by bklm1234

• 3 months later...

I have some cash that is just demanding to be spent on a watch, but this would be the first mod/project to work on. I figure I could attempt to swap the bezel out myself but not certain I should attempt a dial swap yet. If I wanted to work on a project like this but did not want to spend the cash on a gen GMT II dial, where could I get a good rep GMT II dial? I figue that if I needed to, I could sport the EXP dial with the GMT bezel until I am able to find a good dial. Also, If I get the Clark's bezel/retainer for a 16610 plus an insert for a GMT II would that work? I know I would need to get a click spring for the GMT that would be bi-directional, would I be able to use the tension/friction washer from a 16610?

Thanks in advance for the response!

• 1 month later...