When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC 16610 build frustration update

Justasgood

O.k., so I got the gen crystal installed, the gen insert installed but I have about had it with the dw overlay. I have centered it on the old wheel and lined up and centered the number in the window.......but not all dates center and it seems the dates are off a half click.

Anybody have a dw with overlay they want to sell? I'll make it worth your effort:-)

play around with a bit....you will get it to line up.....use a very, very slow setting glue.....a slow set gel type model making glue is good.Use a 5x loupe to get a good look.and click through the numbers.You may have to push the date overlay out or up and down a little.Another thing you will have to do is push the dial up/down in or out a bit as well......once you have everything aligned you can tighten down the clasps on the dial feet...not oo tight though.....may stillneed a little more adjusting..Check the alignment again by cycling through the numbers.....take your time...you can also make micro adjustments by pushing the edge of the dial, as it is attached to the movement, against a straight edge .......once you got it tighen the dial feet clasps and recheck......to make sure your good...

I hate aligning date overlays. Even when you get it right, it's not right. It finally drove me to buy a gen 16610 :)

Yeah well, I have had many gens and thought I would jump on the TC wagon. I used the alignment marks, I used a slow set epoxy, I set reset, tore apart, reset, cycled through.....I hate this effing watch. I can't wait to get my MBW......

Make sure to use a dial spacer as well. Sometimes the overlay drags on the dial causing it to not fully turn

I sanded down the eta dw and have a spacer. It only aligns for 80% and then goes into half cycle. All with the dial off. It will be on the sales corner soon.

Anyway, build specs:

Genuine ETA 2824 Bucherer Chronometer movement serviced and regulated to +3 secs/day

Gen Crystal New

Gen Insert New

Gen Crown and tube New

TC case, dial, hands, spacer, [censored] Overlay, bracelet and bezel assembly.

Have a great weekend all.....and Rejoice!

Maybe it's the eta datewheel with the issue not the overlay? I know vac had to source a new datewheel for my build as the one I sent him bound and didn't switch right. New datewheel and problem solved!

Datewheel was fin in my ceramic sterile sub from whence it came.....

Anyone got a spare overlay? I can get another 2824 dw. Thanks.

You need to put a 2836 DW on the 2824 then attach the overlay...

Interesting. Why so?

I doubt the eta dw is bad as it worked just fine yesterday. I swear, I used every trick I can think of. Perhaps the printing was off on this overlay. I centered it 31 times and fitted it perfectly on the eta dw and about 5-7 days don't line up.

Okay, I am the dumb one here I think. If some days line up and others don't doesn't that mean it is misprinted? And I thought our original Ubi vintage overlays were difficult. :)

That's what I thought. I have never had an issue lining up a dw overlay. I have a pretty good track record and what I thought were bullet proof techniques.Guess I am too old for the new stuff......