When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning a dial

Tonyyammine

I have used clean rodico and the new gray colored stuff and it does leave a residue if you use too big of a piece. If you roll it to a fine point, it is less likely to do so. That being said, I don't like using the stuff if I can get away without it. I have opened two new Rolex dials (a Daytona and Submariner) in the new plastic style packaging and have residue all over the dial. I used a very fine microfiber cloth on the Submariner dial with very good results. I would also like to hear more about the optical cleaning solution and its application process.

these are the products i use.

http://www.giottos.com/CL.htm

best cleaning kit ive ever used.

somehow their microfiber is just better than any ive used before and i have a box full of different types ive used, same with their optical solution, ive tried many types but theirs is the best stuff to work with.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

if its a gloss dial DO NOT use rodico on it. it will forever leave an oil spot behind.

i clean gloss dials with a giottsos microfiber cloth and alcohol free optical cleaning solution. this is used by professional photographers for their thousand dollar coated lenses.

+1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys looking at camera cleaning solutions to clean up a gen omega dial and I see highhoeyazmahundee pointed out a product but on amazon uk it £50! I've found variouse others and was wondering if the solution need to be alcohol free?

I found this product would anyone know if it would be ok on the dials?

http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/viking/pro-lens-cleaning-kit/

Cheers

Hi guys looking at camera cleaning solutions to clean up a gen omega dial and I see highhoeyazmahundee pointed out a product but on amazon uk it £50! I've found variouse others and was wondering if the solution need to be alcohol free?

http://www.vikingopt...s-cleaning-kit/

Cheers

i personally wouldnt use alcohol on a dial, who knows if it ll remove the lacquer or even the dial print, maybe even destroy the marker lume

http://www.vikingopt...s-cleaning-kit/

Cheers

isn't it this?

I use lintless paper. It is very soft and will not leave any residue. I fold it to a point around the size of pencil end, spit on it and begin to clean the dial. I know it sounds crazy but it really does work. Ive tried everything I could think of and every thing leaves a residue. I even tried it with plain water just on the tip, would not clean it. I tried many different cloths, no luck. The spit on the end of the lintless paper cleaned a black dial perfectly, no marks, no lint, no residue Hope this helps

I use lintless paper. It is very soft and will not leave any residue. I fold it to a point around the size of pencil end, spit on it and begin to clean the dial. I know it sounds crazy but it really does work. Ive tried everything I could think of and every thing leaves a residue. I even tried it with plain water just on the tip, would not clean it. I tried many different cloths, no luck. The spit on the end of the lintless paper cleaned a black dial perfectly, no marks, no lint, no residue Hope this helps

spit left NO residue? this is contrary to what i know to be true.... if this is the case for you , you should bottle your spit and put windex right out of business :)

i have a new method i might try later it involves one of these:

http://www.lenspen.com

uses dry charcoal , safe for use on coated camera lenses and filters, ive used it on all my lenses without any problems, might be delicate enough for a gloss dial surface, i currently have no gloss dials im willing to try it on. the lens pen is also affordable at $19

I had an issue with rodico on a very hot day in germany about 35 deg C, it seamed to break down with the heat an leave a residue, luckily it is not oftern that hot an i now have a rule to get out on the bike on days like that rather than sit in doors working on watches

Let me know buddy how you get on, so that other camera cleaning kit you recconended have you actually tested the cleaning spray fluid on dials? If so I may just bite the bullet as I don't want to damage a £200+ dial :)

YES, i have personally tried and continue to use that giottos camera cleaning kit fluid and "magic" cloth for dials.

i have NOT tried the lenspen idea yet, but i may have found a dial im willing to test on.

rocido has always left a residue on glossy dials for me, using a clean piece and not touching the stuff at all. i actually find the indian made stuff "rub off (the blue putty)" to be better

YES, i have personally tried and continue to use that giottos camera cleaning kit fluid and "magic" cloth for dials.

i have NOT tried the lenspen idea yet, but i may have found a dial im willing to test on.

rocido has always left a residue on glossy dials for me, using a clean piece and not touching the stuff at all. i actually find the indian made stuff "rub off (the blue putty)" to be better

Thanks bud really appreciate the info on these products I think I will just go ahead and get the giottos cleaning kit, better to be safe than sorry :)