When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Franken 16610 about to start build

irolexu

So I almost have all my ducks lined up in a row to make this happen. I need expert guidance and suggestions here to get going here. Here's my idea so far all comments welcomed:

TC case sanded rehaut or sean case

Genuine 3135 (need to source)

Genuine late model dial (in stock)

Genuine hands (need to source)

Genuine crown/tube (in stock)

Genuine insert/crystal (in stock)

TC bracelet or possible hybrid bracelet with best SEL FIT

Genuine bezel (need to source)

I know Sean's case has a more gen like bezel but TC case seems to do the trick and it costs about half that of a Sean case. So in your opinion what makes more sense. I have always wanted a gen sub and I feel like this will get me as close to possible with out breaking the bank and plus it's one I build myself vs just waking in a store and leaving with a completed watch...doesn't sound all that fun to me :) I need the challenges and voyage a gen Franken build calls for :)

The 3135 is gonna be a spendy venture, I would use a 2824 and be done with it! No one will ever see the M'ment anyway and that's a HUGE expense just to satisfy a "super franken". I say this because I had the exact same idea but finally realized it doesn't make sense to drop that kinda money on a gen movement when the 2824/2836 will do the same thing..

Just my .02. Personally, I would not invest a 3135 movement in a case that is less than accurate. I would go with the Sean case. More money but worth it. The TC case may be a "great value"...I believe that it is, but it is a great value if you are using an ETA movement or an SA3135.

If I was intending to use a genuine 3135 movement I would just purchase a gen sub off of the Bay and never have to worry about all those little things that drive me crazy and you know what I mean....little things that you know aren't quite right. You're going to have those.

When a noob asks, "who makes the best sub?" That's an easy question for me...Rolex does.

Edited by preacher62

Just my .02. Personally, I would not invest a 3135 movement in a case that is less than accurate. I would go with the Sean case. More money but worth it. The TC case may be a "great value"...I believe that it is, but it is a great value if you are using an ETA movement or an SA3135.

If I was intending to use a genuine 3135 movement I would just purchase a gen sub off of the Bay and never have to worry about all those little things that drive me crazy and you know what I mean....little things that you know aren't quite right. You're going to have those.

When a noob asks, "who makes the best sub?" That's an easy question for me...Rolex does.

Ok well here's the deal. This project is based off a gen movement so if I rule that out I'll keep my super Franken TW sub and just upgrade the bracelet. Keep in mind when my sub is done everything but the actual case itself will be gen :) also I could buy a gen sub but that will be very costly! 5-7 grand vs. the cost of a movement, hands, ect I basically have all the parts except the 2 big factors being the case and movement. Anyhow I appreciate the input! Good things to consider! Great thing about my project is one day I'll run into a gen case and swap it over and presto I am all gen

• Like 1

I like the TC case but I love the Etaswiss case. It is why I used one for my 16610 build.

I too think you should reconsider the 3135. For me the 2892 was the best choice. In my book it is as nice of a movement as the 3135. Combined with a stellar movement spacer and a gen 3135 date wheel as an overlay, it's every bit as good as the 3135.

In any event please share! These builds are all awesome!

Ok well here's the deal. This project is based off a gen movement so if I rule that out I'll keep my super Franken TW sub and just upgrade the bracelet. Keep in mind when my sub is done everything but the actual case itself will be gen :) also I could buy a gen sub but that will be very costly! 5-7 grand vs. the cost of a movement, hands, ect I basically have all the parts except the 2 big factors being the case and movement. Anyhow I appreciate the input! Good things to consider! Great thing about my project is one day I'll run into a gen case and swap it over and presto I am all gen

I like that. The plan is to get the gen at savings. Makes sense. Usually with almost everything else, if you buy the unit in parts, you pay a premium.

The cost of an excellent 3135 that is either fairly new or freshly serviced could run you $2K +. Then the other gen parts will add up quickly. If you want as close to gen as possible in a franken build just prepare to invest what a good condition used gen will cost you.

I agree with preacher, you'll be so close to gen but still have the little nitpicky tells that will still drive you crazy. When for just a little extra cash you could've just bought a gen not worry about a thing!

Well I do see how this could be a very expensive If this were a project from scratch yes it would not be cost effective but I think what people don't get is I already have a genuine Rolex sub dial, insert, crown, tube, crystal, and I have a member offering me a recently serviced 3135 for under 2k so once the sub is done there won't be any obvious flaws like you would normally find such as dial errors ect.. I'll probably use a tc or Sean case I just need a gen bezel and I am set. Only 2 purchases I need are movement and good case and I have a complete watch ready to go.

I doubt it unfortunately. But don't let that change your thoughts. The Sean case makes a great watch, and Sean was awesome to work with.

I agree the Sean case looks great and I can't get over how well the bezel looks. The difference between the Sean case and tc is the money I'll save going with sean not having to buy a gen bezel! So looks like my plans are boiling down to a Sean case housing a gen 3135, dial, insert, crystal, crown, tube, hands and rep stuff will be bezel case and bracelet but that's super minor to me :) I will post pics of the build as I go :)

I really hate to keep playing the devils advocate here, but you are going to end up spending more money on your super franken than you would on a genuine 16610. No matter how you cut it, you aren't going to have a genuine, unless you use all genuine parts. No matter how good the case, it's not genuine. Take preachers advice and get a genuine 16610. I thought about this project for a nanosecond last year, decided it wasn't worth it. I watched the vintage Rolex marketplace, Rolex forum and TZ. I found a nice "P" serial 16610 for around 3300.00 USD. The "P" is from 2000, so it's superluminova, but it was around the last with lugholes, which is what I wanted.I couldn't even justify putting a 1570 in my 1680, and they are selling anywhere from 4500- 8000 USD depending on condition, papers, etc.

If you apply the rule of 20% (or 25%) which is what you can safely afford to spend on a franken, based on the price of a genuine, you're coming in at 800-1000 USD based on a genuine at 4k. That's half the cost of the movement alone. If you build one, you had better plan on loving it for a long, long time, because you will never get even close to your money back if you try to sell it. And God Forbid trying to pass it off as a genuine, because the new buyer will take it to a Rolex AD straight off and that's when the manure hit's the ventilator!!

If you look at the superfrankens built here, most all of them are replicas of a genuine watch that is as scarce as hen's teeth and consequently expensive.

Just my Dos centavos

If you really want to build a Frankenstein using a gen movement and hands consider that those will run you around $1700 or so. Tack on $300-$500 for a bezel, add in the approx $200 you paid for the dial and you are sitting at 50% of a gen. That isn't including the hard to find gen crystal retainer you'll need for the gen bezel.

Keep in mind you can find gens for $3500-$4000. All 3 of the gen Rolex subs I own were value buys.

5513 with gloss dial and no bracelet was purchased for $2950

1680 white all original with original bracelet and with recent service was $4000.

16800 matte with original dial/hands and bracelet and with recent service was $3500.

The point is that if you are going to go that far towards gen you should just go gen.

I learned that lesson the hard way with a Frankenstein Tudor Sub I built a few years ago. Do a search for my threads and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good rule to follow on a Frankenstein is the 20-30 rule.

Again...not the money that is the factor here...if you find me a gen for 3300 bucks or sell me yours :) I'll gladly end this project sell both my super Frankens and go that route. I've scanned eBay and the cheapest late model Rolex is in the 5-6k price range. I already have all the gen parts from collecting and the movement won't cost me what you guys think it will cost as I already have a solid plan of attack here trust me, people need to realize that I'm in this for the hobby of creating the best sub for my personal interests...I'll stand out with a gen 3135 and can have my watch worked on by any Watchmaker other then Rolex but who cares they over charge and take to long. Idk why people are bugging out on using a gen movement. Sure it's expensive but hey let me do what I'm gonna do and sit back and enjoy what comes of it cause I'll share my stories and build pics with you guys isn't this what rwg is about? I want to gain a whole new angle with my sub here. I already know that using a ETA is the economical route but this is an all out experience for me and heck one day I'm gonna come across a genuine case set and presto gen rolex

Also I do see where all of you come from...I want a all gen sub but i also want a late model SEL sub in great condition not a vintage or early transition watch..if anyone sees a late model sub in the 3500 price range PLEASE! PM me I will gladly sell my sub reps for that. I know I could get an older Rolex sub a gen but they don't do it for me like the late model 16610 :)

Here you go.

http://forums.timezo...o=6109500&rid=0

He's had it listed for about 3 weeks and has dropped the price. Only dropped the price by $150 to $4100.

He's been trying to trade it since Feb.

Either he's hard set on his asking price or he is just itching for something new but it isn't a strong itch. I'd shoot him an offer of $3950 shipped with half the fees and see what he does. Let me know if you go for it and how it works out.

This on on Ebay might be possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-Submariner-Stainless-Black-Dial-/200733408745?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ebca4bde9#ht_500wt_1202

Asking $4200. There have been a bunch of offers so I'm guessing they are either sticking tight or the offers are way too low. Again, I'd do $3850 and go from there.

Well I do see how this could be a very expensive If this were a project from scratch yes it would not be cost effective but I think what people don't get is I already have a genuine Rolex sub dial, insert, crown, tube, crystal, and I have a member offering me a recently serviced 3135 for under 2k so once the sub is done there won't be any obvious flaws like you would normally find such as dial errors ect.. I'll probably use a tc or Sean case I just need a gen bezel and I am set. Only 2 purchases I need are movement and good case and I have a complete watch ready to go.

Hey...iRU, that was just my .02, you know...what I would do. For many members the quest is the prize and not the watch. Even though you already have some gen parts, you still have to take into account the value of each. I think that by the time you have that gen case and bracelet you will have more than 5 - 7K invested.