When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ziggy Has Made Me A Disappointed Man

omega1

Well, I had sent my SMP off to The Zigmeister for Service and re-lume with C3. I got it back the other day, and, well, I have to say that I am a little disappointed.

I am disappointed that my genuine SMP's lume does not last as long as my replica's!

Unfortunately, I did not get any before pics. Instead, I will use my un-touched Yacht Master as comparison. I can assure you, that prior to The Zigmeister working his magic on the watch, the Yacht Master glowed much more brightly and lasted at least 3 more hours then the original SMP lume. Here is a pic of the YM on the left, and the SMP on the right. Notice the pearl on the SMP. This was how the whole dial used to look like. This was 1 minute under a fluorescent light bulb:

144473-15985.jpg

Now here is a pic of the YM, rep SMP, and gen SMP. You will notice that the 2 SMPs give off the exact same brightness:

144473-15986.jpg

My camera was not good enough to capture the luminescence after 5 hours in a pitch black room. However, after 5 hours, I could still tell time with both SMPs (but not with the YM). The rep was just a tad brighter then the gen at this point.

As for the work itself, I am absolutely amazed that this was done by hand. I just can't believe how good it looks. I tried to take some close up shots so you could see the quality of his work first hand:

144473-15987.jpg

144473-15988.jpg

144473-15989.jpg

144473-15990.jpg

144473-15991.jpg

144473-15992.jpg

144473-15993.jpg

I am EXTREMLY happy with the way the watch has turned out. I would recommend Rob for any lume work you may need done.

Thanks again The Zigmeister!!!

Jim

Edited by omega1

Apologies, I was just trying to show as much detail as possible. I'll work on some thumbnails.

If you imagine that almost every single one of my photos on this site is merely 640px wide, you can understand that more pixels is not always better.

Having said that, I know what it's like getting work back from The Zigmeister and understand the kind of joyous exuberance that it creates that can lead to not shrinking photos. :D

That's awesome work! Relumes always seemed kind of expensive to me but damn if those aren't some incrdible results!

BTW sorry to OT here, but what does it take to lume the pearl?

That’s a good question. I am not sure of the properties of Super luminova once it has cured, so I don’t know how durable it is.

I wonder if you could mix the SL in with some clear epoxy, then slightly drill out the old pearl (just the lume, making a little crater), then fill the crater with the SL/epoxy mix.

Edited by omega1

That’s a good question. I am not sure of the properties of Super luminova once it has cured, so I don’t know how durable it is.

I wonder if you could mix the SL in with some clear epoxy, then slightly drill out the old pearl (just the lume, making a little crater), then fill the crater with the SL/epoxy mix.

Could you just paint a thin layer of lume over the existing crystal?

I feel for you man. I will be glad to take it off your hands if this will make you feel better. I just feel so bad when my beloved fellow members are disappointed. I have lower threshold of disappointment, so you can send it to me anytime, anytime at all at you convenience.

With Love

Fellow Member

If that's where this thread is going then these look hot on my 85" 16:9 DLP Projector...

HAHA--thats gotta look crazy! I only have a Philips 42 inch plasma with a USB port on the side, and for kicks and giggles I viewed the pics on it. And I thougt that was impressive..............

Thanks Jim :thumbsupsmileyanim: ....My list,.. will it ever be complete ??

I'm with ya. Sometimes I wish I had never found this forum.