When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches and Travelling

ubiquitous

Just to follow up on this- I went to SoCal a week or so back, travelling with 4 watches in a travel case and one watch on my wrist.

Flying out to my destination was no problem. Coming home however, TSA did stop me in the security check and asked to inspect the contents of the travel case. They saw that it contained 4 watches, but still insisted on running it through the x-ray conveyor belt twice. After a small group of TSA folks stood around discussing something, they brought my watches back let me on my way.

Not a huge deal in the end; minor inconvenience, but I can't help but feel that maybe I jynxed myself a little by posting this thread before leaving on our trip?

Hmm...I think if you have multiples of anything, it might raise flags (depending on where you are - at least here in Canada, that has been my experience)...I don't think you jinxed yourself though!

Just to follow up on this- I went to SoCal a week or so back, travelling with 4 watches in a travel case and one watch on my wrist.

Flying out to my destination was no problem. Coming home however, TSA did stop me in the security check and asked to inspect the contents of the travel case. They saw that it contained 4 watches, but still insisted on running it through the x-ray conveyor belt twice. After a small group of TSA folks stood around discussing something, they brought my watches back and let me on my way.

Not a huge deal in the end; minor inconvenience, but I can't help but feel that maybe I jynxed myself a little by posting this thread before leaving on our trip?

Damn, I told my TSA buddies to confiscate the Patek and deliver it to ME for inspection.... B)

I used to travel weekly in my last career and I always carried a Minimum of 4 watches in my carryon (usually my briefcase) and never once did I ever get stopped by TSA or questioned.

I think it depends on if the TSA XRAY person sees something shiny they can't identify they ask for the bag check...

Your photo reminds me of the South Park television episode several weeks ago. The story centered around the Toilet Safety Administration (TSA)

The TSA employees request to "jus' check ya ayss hole" before allowing you to use the toilet.

post-22602-133711288602.jpg

Damn, I told my TSA buddies to confiscate the Patek and deliver it to ME for inspection.... B)

Yeah, they did mention you by name; thought that was kinda strange :bangin:

:)

Your photo reminds me of the South Park television episode several weeks ago. The story centered around the Toilet Safety Administration (TSA)

The TSA employees request to "jus' check ya ayss hole" before allowing you to use the toilet.

Wasn't that the 'Reverse Cowgirl' episode or something along those lines?

• 1 month later...

One on my wrist and two or three, depending on the length of the trip, in my carry on.

Domestic or International.

Never had a problem. Would not recommend putting any watch in checked bags...ever.

Why never put them in checked in bags?

Anyone got any advise for traveling from uk to other eu countries ? Going abroad this weekend and not sure what to do?

Was thinking of taking 2 in luggage and one on wrist. Any advice be great :)

I would never carry anything valuable in checked luggage. there are tons of horror stories about bags arriving at their destination and upon openiong, they had been pilfered. Several years ago, my wife traveling back from Europe had several bottles of perfume stolen from her checked suitcase. It took about 3 months, but Delta sent usa check for the stolen perfume. Big problem is the airlines are only responsible up to a certain dollar limit for lost stolen or damaged baggage and contents. So If you get a few watches stolen,the airlines reimbursement isn't even going to come close to replacement value.

As far as traveling internationally, I don't think they care how much you stuff into the carryon, but if it's the least suspicious they are going to open your bag and look around, even take items out and Xray them indidvidually. Lots of foreign nationals, as well as US Citizens who have family in Europe, or other parts of the world routinely go home with loads of stuff for family and friends. My wife left last week for her home country, she had 2 Iphones, and Ipod touch, 2 cameras, three watches (2 personal and one gift), a Stereo mixer, and a microphone as well as all her personal jewelry. Suffice to say her carry on went through Xray twice, and the stereo mixer was Xrayed seperately. the folks were very nice and polite, and she was early so wasn't any problem with her flight. I wouldn't heasitate to take as many watches (3-5) as I wanted, but as Freddy said, if you bring a bunch of Rolex watches back into the USA, it probably would be wise to have some sort of documentation that they were yours before your trip. Also proving that they were yours before, could certainly save you some hassle with customs. It would be really sad to bring your own watches back to the USA, and have customs hit you with a genuine watch tariff.I'm not talking about 25 watches, because that will probably raise a bunch of red flags.

Only reason I ask is I've bought a bamford watch roll which is was going to use to put my reps in....here's what it looks like..a large heavy aluminium case, im sure if I go through customs both end at airport it's gonna raise alarms even though it's totally legit.

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/accessories.cfm?accessory=Aluminium-Watch-Roll

Also going to turkey which is predominately known for its replication of everything from watches to handbags clothes sunglasses ect, I doubt I will buy anything there as their reps are pretty crap to be honest, my problem is the return to uk and uk customs for any reason want to check bags and find my ridiculously large watch roll then try sting me for importing reps? Any info or advice Woukd be great.

Cheers :)

Oh and if anyone is interested in the bamford watch roll I may sell it :)

I usually travel with two, one tool type and one dress type. For example wear a sea snake and pack orient star. Hopefully a rep soon too :-)

When I was out at my summer home last week, I brought a Portu 7 Days w/ black dial to wear out to dinner, and clubs .. and a Great White 1665 for the beach.

One day, I was sitting on the beach and a guy walks right past me with a big DSSD on his wrist. I must have puzzled the hell out of him when I said "Is that a DeepSea? Beautiful watch" .. He stuck out his wrist and said "yeah .. thanks!" and kept walking.

I never realized how good looking that watch is from a distance on the wrist, since the only person I know with one is me.