When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Rolex Rep to Gen

juan.sidarta

So I have been looking at the Rolex's from Trustytime for a long time now, and I could not decide which to go for. Primarily, I am looking for one that is closest to gen, and after looking at many, there are always flaws with the rolex's that make it quite noticable. For instance, the newer Explorer II, the color of the needle is more orangish than red, which makes it quite obvious. So, before I pull the trigger in deciding, I need you pros to help me out. Sorry I am a total noobie to this. Thanks

PS: Looking at the Green Sapphire Milgauss, but still unsure. I am open to anything really. I've been looking at the SeaDweller and Submariner, as well. But basically want something close to original. Could spend few hundreds, price doesn't really matter per se.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Hands down best reps I've seen are the 36mm stainless datejusts. You can also go Franken DJ with a gen case set gen dial and crown for a decent price. Also milgauss are good but the ones with green tint are going to be slightly obvious due to the way the green is. Andrews or josh ETA dssd are great choices as well. Have you considered a explorer I BLACK dial 36mm?

If you have been reading, then you know that reps are only a starting point. If your personality demands closer accuracy then you must pay more to mod your watch.

Don't like the GMT hand color?? Have a professional re-paint it.

There will always be some flaw in replication, so unless you want to try and sell the replica as the real thing (the only time flaws would truly be noticed or an issue) you might as well just buy whichever one you most like the look of, and enjoy it :good: Chances are no one will even notice what watch you're wearing, so personally speaking, I don't think it's worth the hassle of worrying about the flaws, which really only show up when the watch is viewed in dinner plate-sized photos on a screen... On the wrist, most flaws will simply not be noticed, so wear what you like the most :good::drinks:

On the wrist, most flaws will simply not be noticed

I know that for me personally, over the last few years I've gone from not being able to tell what a wokky rehaut looks like, to being bothered by the crown height of an otherwise perfect Submariner rep. Sometimes all that matters is what YOU notice.

Hands down best reps I've seen are the 36mm stainless datejusts. You can also go Franken DJ with a gen case set gen dial and crown for a decent price. Also milgauss are good but the ones with green tint are going to be slightly obvious due to the way the green is. Andrews or josh ETA dssd are great choices as well. Have you considered a explorer I BLACK dial 36mm?

Andrew's new deepsea dweller? Referring to "http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_350&products_id=7993&zenid=9b93cac9062a29712a80f8ae5c1facca"? Em, I can't find it on Andrew's site. Could you point me in the right direction? I'm open to anything really :D

If you have been reading, then you know that reps are only a starting point. If your personality demands closer accuracy then you must pay more to mod your watch.

Don't like the GMT hand color?? Have a professional re-paint it.

Yea, I know, but still kinda new to this, modding is the next step.

There will always be some flaw in replication, so unless you want to try and sell the replica as the real thing (the only time flaws would truly be noticed or an issue) you might as well just buy whichever one you most like the look of, and enjoy it :good: Chances are no one will even notice what watch you're wearing, so personally speaking, I don't think it's worth the hassle of worrying about the flaws, which really only show up when the watch is viewed in dinner plate-sized photos on a screen... On the wrist, most flaws will simply not be noticed, so wear what you like the most :good::drinks:

thanks for your advice :) I'm actually thinking of getting an authentic one, but its just that I am afraid of scratching it, etc, or even worse losing it. Thats why I wanna get a rep, close enough so i can just wear daily and maybe keep an authentic in the safe, or wear them on special occasions.

One of the best and good value for money is the EXP I, 36mm

Yep. No worries about lume, crown guards, crown height...

Pics would be nice? And where do I get it?

I know that for me personally, over the last few years I've gone from not being able to tell what a wokky rehaut looks like, to being bothered by the crown height of an otherwise perfect Submariner rep. Sometimes all that matters is what YOU notice.

Thats true, but I don't want to purchase something while eventually seeing things which are not meant to be there. If you know what I mean.

Oh for sure, I totally understand what you mean, and I'm exactly the same, I'm now noticing flaws I wouldn't've noticed before, but, that's because we're watch enthusiasts :lol: The guy on the street, or even the average gen owner, simply would not know the flaws even if they were pointed out to them :) For example, the etchings on the clasp leaves of my DateJust are gibberish spelling, and I think the minute markers on the dial should be in line with the lume dots, rather than lining up with the tips of the hour markers, but on the wrist, it looks the business, and it's not as if I take it off to read the clasp, I keep it on my wrist, so while the watch is a far from flawless replica, it's still a perfectly passable rep in the context of flying under the radar on a day to day basis :)

thanks for your advice :) I'm actually thinking of getting an authentic one, but its just that I am afraid of scratching it, etc, or even worse losing it. Thats why I wanna get a rep, close enough so i can just wear daily and maybe keep an authentic in the safe, or wear them on special occasions.

You're very welcome, I'm always happy to help where I can :) But as above, please do not buy a gen just to then throw it in a safe... If you're going to do that, just donate the cost of the gen to an animal welfare charity where it can be put to good use, because IMHO, when you get a rep, even if it's not 1:1 perfect replication, that will become your watch: the one that feels familiar on your wrist, and unless you hang around with a bunch of douchebags who're likely to actually call you out on the watch, honestly, hardly anyone will ever comment on it. On average, I've had maybe one comment per year over the last five years of collecting. One was about a 16610 Submariner, two were about a Panerai 029a GMT, the other was about an innacurately built Snowflake Submariner project in progress, and they were simply polite interest, nothing sinister. As I said before, unless you plan on trying to sell the thing as real, the flaws I mentioned above such as clasp etchings or movement decoration simply become irrelevant when it comes to wearing your watch day in day out :good::drinks:

Hi guys,

I'm also looking for good quality Submariner rep with eta movement, can you point me some dealer where I can buy best for a buck watch? I would like to wear it daily so are they waterproof? I forgot to mention that I'm looking for dealer shipping from Europe to avoid custom problems.

Edited by tothemax

Hi guys,

I'm also looking for good quality Submariner rep with eta movement, can you point me some dealer where I can buy best for a buck watch? I would like to wear it daily so are they waterproof? I forgot to mention that I'm looking for dealer shipping from Europe to avoid custom problems.

Given you want eta movement, I'll let others suggest dealers who ship from Europe, but in most instances (maybe 95% in my experience) yes, these watches are waterproof :) Even budget a21j reps are waterproof, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about :victory:

Hi guys,

The "big" dealers here re-ship through the UK to EU destinations.

What's your price range? That is a big determining factor. ETA Subs start at around $280.

high quality replicas of diver's watches should be waterproof, but poor QC at the factories can trip this up. Always test!! This is an inexpensive insurance against disaster.

Yes, they are designed to be waterproof but what if the man who assembles it forgets a gasket. This happens! Always test.

Here's a Trusted Dealer's Ceramic Submariner (2011 model) with asian copy ETA movement.

I agree with sneed12.

It's all about what YOU want.

I prefer Frankens only because it's what I happen to like.

Most likely very few to none even notice the added gen parts...but I do. :)

Edited by correctime

The "big" dealers here re-ship through the UK to EU destinations.

What's your price range? That is a big determining factor. ETA Subs start at around $280.

high quality replicas of diver's watches should be waterproof, but poor QC at the factories can trip this up. Always test!! This is an inexpensive insurance against disaster.

Yes, they are designed to be waterproof but what if the man who assembles it forgets a gasket. This happens! Always test.

Here's a Trusted Dealer's Ceramic Submariner (2011 model) with asian copy ETA movement.

http://www.rwg.cc/to...asian-eta-2836/

Well,keep in mind that i pointed out,"best rep". From the information that I gathered, I have come to two conclusions,and feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The best rep, being defined as the most accurate to gen, in terms of quality and aesthetics is sold or put together by BK or either TC.

I am about to pull the trigger with either of one, I do not know which yet, as I am willing to spend about ~$500 or so for a really good rep.

However, with TC, the bezel is not included, as he claims that the most accurate as of now requires a gen insert, in which I have #1 no clue where to get one, #2 and I afraid of putting it on and screwing up.

I have recently emailed BK and I heard that he was on vacation, but can someone fill us in on the details about his watches? It would be helpful in determining which is the best Rolex rep to Gen.

Thanks

You have come to the correct conclusion.

I had no idea if you imagined a Submariner rep could be 600 to 900 dollars, so when you ask about the "best" my best reply is "how big is your cash bag"

BK offers upgrades to his basic TW Best Sub, including genuine parts.

You have come to the correct conclusion.

I had no idea if you imagined a Submariner rep could be 600 to 900 dollars, so when you ask about the "best" my best reply is "how big is your cash bag"

BK offers upgrades to his basic TW Best Sub, including genuine parts.

I emailed him, but does he have a site, like TC, where I can see his work directly from him?

After short research I'm thinking about BK's Sub, it's not cheap but from what I read it's worth every penny. Is it hard to get genuine bezel insert? How much it cost? What's your experience with rep's shipping from US to Europe? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...