When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting genuine bezel and insert to upo 45mm advice

the_rymeister

Hi all

as some of you know i have a franken planet ocean 45mm with gen dial,hands,crown,tube which I nearly sold last month but decided to keep.

Well now I am in the process of purchasing a genuine bezel and insert. I've scouted around rwg,rwg and repgeek to see if I could find any info on fitting the gen bezel but have had no joy. I've read that the gen bezel for the 42,m version fits without modding but the 45mm requires modding due to the 2mm or so size difference.

My question is has anyone managed to fit a genuine bezel to a rep 45mm planet ocean or does anyone know of anyone who can fit these at a cost.

Thanks all in advance

Ry :)

Hi all

as some of you know i have a franken planet ocean 45mm with gen dial,hands,crown,tube which I nearly sold last month but decided to keep.

Well now I am in the process of purchasing a genuine bezel and insert. I've scouted around rwg,rwg and repgeek to see if I could find any info on fitting the gen bezel but have had no joy. I've read that the gen bezel for the 42,m version fits without modding but the 45mm requires modding due to the 2mm or so size difference.

My question is has anyone managed to fit a genuine bezel to a rep 45mm planet ocean or does anyone know of anyone who can fit these at a cost.

Thanks all in advance

Ry :)

Finedd/Uwe has done a gen bezel mod for Inushuks and my Franken UPO, he is the only modder I know can do this. Oh and these happened at RWI.

Edited by sunnydale

I read Uwe has come into bad health. He just stopped his AR service this week.

Didn't know that matt, hope he's ok, was gonna look for him to do several AR jobs soon, thanks for the info.

Ryan, afaik, the gen bezel cannot be fitted without some serious modding/sanding, it's not like the 42mm which just clicks on, unfortuanately. Most who have done it with the 45 have just done the gen insert swap (which is fine) as the bezel itself is a bit of a nightmare. There are several threads about the process over on the geek and rwi. If I find them I'll post links here later.

Didn't know that matt, hope he's ok, was gonna look for him to do several AR jobs soon, thanks for the info.

Ryan, afaik, the gen bezel cannot be fitted without some serious modding/sanding, it's not like the 42mm which just clicks on, unfortuanately. Most who have done it with the 45 have just done the gen insert swap (which is fine) as the bezel itself is a bit of a nightmare. There are several threads about the process over on the geek and rwi. If I find them I'll post links here later.

btw just to add domi is also doing it, did it for someone just last week over on geek, although I can't confirm off hand if it was just insert or whole bezel.

A gen bezel would fit the upo but a shim needs to be made as the case is thicker around the crystal on the gen. I sacrificed rotation on mine and bonded it to the case.

As said the 42 is a straight swap but not the 45.

that's what i done....who ever rotates their bezel anyway?

I know what you guys mean about the bezel not rotating but I know if I bond it on it will just annoy me :)

Is there anyone who makes these shims?

I'll keep looking until I find a fix :)

I haven't done it myself but if you put a shim/ring to space out the case you will loose the ratchet spring. From what I've seen the ratchet on the rep is close to the crystal and on the outer edge of the the gen bezel. The only way I can see is to use the insert only without some major machining to the rep case. To actually use the gen bezel you would have to machine a groove in the case and fit a new ratchet spring. Also the shim would need a grove to take the retaining spring.

Some pics to explain (not mine)-

Rep case and bezel

2untitled.png

1untitled.png

Gen Bezel

untitled.png

Thanks for the help rhc I think I need to find the modder who do this install, people have them on there reps but no one seems to know who I need to contact. I need to contact domi somehow on rep geek, I found his website but it's not in English so Im not sure ow to contact him direct

Have you a contact email ect I could get hold of this mudder? What sort of cost was it to have it fitted cheers :)

As said, Uwe is atm not doing mods or at least his section is closed at RWI. If you have a whole gen bezel, do not change the insert only or glue the gen bezel into your UPO. It would annoy me a lot if I didn't have a working bezel although I don't use it.

Uwe did not charge much IMHO.

I would rather a gen bezel and insert that rotates , but if my only options are rotating rep. Ezel and gen insert or gen stuck on bezel I'll go for the moving bez as If it didn't move it would annoy me every time I looked at it,

There's got to be someone else that can fit these bezels..... :)

Ry, I had 2 upo's with gen inserts. I did the mod myself following the tutorial on repgeek. It is a fantastic mod and makes the world of difference. Can be done in a few hours rather than 4 months with Domi! The gen bezel isn't significantly different to the rep so when the gen insert is in there its perfect.

• 2 years later...