When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with Gen Parts with Josh 5513

milesd

So I've got a Josh 5513 case that I was hoping to fit with Gen parts. I'm new to Rolex so I'm not 100% sure how everything works. I took apart the entire watch and the rep plexi fits snuggly on the case, however it looks to have had a piece of plastic around the base of the plexi for the retaining ring to slip over and hold tight. Once I removed the plastic, the retaining ring no longer slips over plexi and snaps tight. That's okay because I don't plan on using the rep plexi. However when I put the gen plexi on the case, it doesn't sit tight. Is that normal? Does the retaining ring compress the base of the plexi around the case? I did slip over the the retaining ring as it was really tight and didn't want to scratch the plexi. I thought I would ask before I moved forward. Is there supposed to be a gasket or something between the plexi and case? I can post a video if this doesn't make sense.

Also, the Gen bezel doesn't fit the rep retaining ring. Would I be better off sourcing a gen retaining ring? Would it even matter if the gen plexi is loose around the case? Thanks!

So I've got a Josh 5513 case that I was hoping to fit with Gen parts. I'm new to Rolex so I'm not 100% sure how everything works. I took apart the entire watch and the rep plexi fits snuggly on the case, however it looks to have had a piece of plastic around the base of the plexi for the retaining ring to slip over and hold tight. Once I removed the plastic, the retaining ring no longer slips over plexi and snaps tight. That's okay because I don't plan on using the rep plexi. However when I put the gen plexi on the case, it doesn't sit tight. Is that normal? Does the retaining ring compress the base of the plexi around the case? I did slip over the the retaining ring as it was really tight and didn't want to scratch the plexi. I thought I would ask before I moved forward. Is there supposed to be a gasket or something between the plexi and case? I can post a video if this doesn't make sense.

Also, the Gen bezel doesn't fit the rep retaining ring. Would I be better off sourcing a gen retaining ring? Would it even matter if the gen plexi is loose around the case? Thanks!

I have one that I put a Clark on, but it didn't sound like yours. The crystal that came on it fit tightly over the crystal seat and then the retainer pressed on just like gen. When I put the Clark on it it was just the same. There was no extra piece of plastic and it needed no custom ring.

If the case is the same as it was eight months ago it sounds like you do not have the proper crystal.

Also, in the rep world, you cannot usually mix and match bezel rings with retaining rings. It usually has to be a set, unless it is a true Rolex replacement case.

Edited by preacher62

Really? I have several Josh 5513's, as far as I know they all have the same construction as Rolex.

Crystal, retaining ring, flat tension washer and the bezel. No gaskets.

I think Jmb machines a custom tension ring for those with loose bezels?

• Like 1

Ok. First I'd reccomend you Pm member Jmb.

I don't know what that gasket is about or if any of mine came with those. Jmb disassemble mine from the get go. I have taken mine apart since then and reassembled. MBW' are the same.

But the Gen T19 should fit similar or tighter than the rep crystal. In fact it might need to be lightly sanded to fit. Obviously yours is very loose and that's wrong. Where did you get your T19? Positive it's gen?

The retaining ring is installed with a press and sometimes the bezels need to use a press also. Something is up with the gen T19 maybe?

Those are my thoughts, hopefully Jmb will be along to explain all this.

Do you have a Clark to compare with? I have found that these cases often come with a rehaut too large (.008" or so) for a gen-spec crystal and need to be machined. Something is rather strange here...

Do you have a Clark to compare with? I have found that these cases often come with a rehaut too large (.008" or so) for a gen-spec crystal and need to be machined. Something is rather strange here...

That's what I think, something seems strange. His T19 seems really loose. I pulled my black Tudor apart the other day and my T19 is tight.

J, did any of my josh's have that thin gasket deal?

ETA: that's a great idea if you have a Clark's to try and compare against your gen crystal. Also, I'm not saying yours isn't gen. All of my service T19's have come in these flat packages.

c5848db3.jpg

Woof, I've never seen the thin plastic spacer/shim on anything other than PT cases. All of t he Cartel cases have had a compression ring that fit a gen or Clark perfectly...

I did. It even has the polex engraving.

I don't have a Clark's crystal. To compare it to. I was thinking of trying another gen T19 then asking for a refund if that one fits. However it's more likely that the case is flawed in someway. But I go back because the plexi on the rep fits fine. I doubt the plexi was redone if the case specs were off. And that little plastic gasket was to hold the retaining ring on.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

It says "polex" eh?

The original mbw's say "polex" and rumor has it there are copies of the old MBW's out there now that say polex also.

I'm pretty sure our Josh 5513's don't say polex, but I'm already at work and wearing my 6541 today. Otherwise I'd pull the bracelet and check my other watches. I have three Josh 5513's, and all of them have turned into Tudors. When I get home tonight I will see what markings they have. It's real recent the MBW copies came out and I wonder if that's what you have?

This all would make sense as to the thin gasket you have and the gen T19 not fitting. If someone else here with one of the the Josh 5513's we all bought last year could check their markings for polex or not that would be good, otherwise do it tonight for you.

If this all works out to be the situation, I'd reccomend a different case and I may be able to help you. :)

I'm gonna also add...

It's a shame since you e got the gen parts going that stuff's not fitting. That was the really cool thing about the Josh 5513.. gen parts fit and it was only 99$, other than the shorter crown guards..it's a great deal. They did go up in price to 118$ but still a bargain.

I'm pretty sure the josh case says polex. They member who put a 1570 in his with a milsub dial had polex. What do you guys suggest? Is there another case I should buy? I just don't want to risk installing the grn plexi and bezel since it doesn't fit tight on the rehaut. Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Edited by milesd

Let me verify you have the incorrect case first before you do anything.

I agree, you don't want to mess up $ parts. :)

Lots of guys put gen 1520/1570's in MBW cases, not familar with anyone doing it in a Josh though. In sure it probably can be done.

I'll check my cases later today and let you know about the polex or not. I think you have a Pt case verses the Josh 5513 though, otherwise your parts should be fitting. I'll let you know as soon as I can. If you have the wrong case I can probably help you.

I have accumulated lot of generic crystals for rolex and in my experience, genuine crystals will not solve problems with out of spec replicas because the fault always lies with the case or bezel and a genuine crystal can not fix it.

That being said...I try to stay away from genuine crystals on replica watches because of the cost and because if I have to make a crystal retaining ring/bezel to fit a specific watch, I will always make it so I can use a good brand of generic crystal. I have had good luck with GS crystals because they are always made to the same spec where random generics are not...random generics probably come from the lowest bidder. Sternkreuz is good too but some are out of genuine spec but this is Ok as they might by chance fit a slightly out of spec case/bezel.

What I do is find the generic crystal that is the closest fit on the watch. Two areas need to be checked as stated in the posts above...

1 The case neck to crystal fit.

2 The fit of the crystal retaining ring after the crystal is mounted on the case.

I have found that many crystals will be a little bit tight on the case neck and as long as the crystal is not tight enough to cause a crack, I use it as is. If I have to force the crystal over the case neck, I will go for another crystal that is a better fit. If I can not find a crystal that fits the case neck, machining the case neck is always the last resort.

Crystal retaining rings are a big problem with replicas because QC is not a priority when the cases are made. Some are in spec with genuine and some are not. To make matters worse, retaining rings on watches from the same factory may not be the same from batch to batch or watch to watch. It's all hit or miss.

When a crystal is just a little bit loose on the case neck, a proper retaining ring will usually solve the problem but if you do not have a retaining ring that is a real close fit, you will have to get one machined. This only applies to crystals that are just a little bit loose on the case neck, a crystal that slips from side to side with a lot of slop will usually never fit properly. This also makes it extremely hard to make a retaining bezel with the correct ID because when making retaining bezels, they are sized from smaller to larger when being machined...just the opposite of what is needed to determine the correct ID of a retaining bezel on a loose crystal.

The point to what I am saying is:

1 Get a selection of different brands of crystals.

2 Buy a good digital caliper...not a $9.99 cheapo (I use a 150mm Mitutoyo Digimatic).

3 When you find a crystal that fits, always get a couple spares (genuine being an exception) if the watch is a keeper.

4 Stay out of the deep end of the pool. :snorkel:

Auto knows his stuff and his ideas to make this watch work is the answer, if this is to be a keeper.

From reading Azgjav's post, you have the new copy of a MBW and not the infamous Josh 5513 that everybody bought awhile back.

Notice in Azgjav's post all the surprise about the polex and better crown guards. Your case looks to have better ones too. He had no problems with his gen T19 fitting..as none of us had with the Josh watch. So I have no idea what the problem is with yours. When you get the gen spec Clark T19 you will find out if the whole problem is your gen crystal or not.

It looks like your option is to find out if it's a gen crystal problem and decide if you want to either solve it the ways Auto suggests..or use a different case set. I think I have a new Josh 5513 disassembled at Jmb's shop that I'm not using. I might part with it maybe.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point..very few people have the new Polex/MBW copy cartel thing and we don't know much about it.