When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New rep panerai movement

letibjorn

This is great news!

We all knew they would rep the movement as they can't continue to use totally inaccurate looking unmodified 7750 and compete for sales against other 1:1 offerings, but I think no one expected it to be repped this soon.

Hopefully the factories will have access to this new movement soon and start launching some watches to go with it.

... Since this is a cheap 21j base...

Base is an A7750 without chronograph and automatic winding bridges.

This movement was already used by DSN in his Egiziano.

Diameter is 1mm down from the genuine P.2002 and gearing layout is different. And of course it only has one barrel instead of three.

Just explain how and why Manufacture Horlogère ValFleurier, the manufacturer of the Panerai in house movements, should use a 7750 ebauche to create a movement with a completely different layout, one additional barrel, different escapement position and different size (13 3/4 lines vs. 13 1/4 lines).

Neither the wheel train nor the bridges or main plate of the p9000 show any similarity to a 7750.

And basing it on a 7750 would miss the goal of an in house movement: Being independent from ETA!

I have been sitting on a pristeen complete gen set-up bought a few years ago from a dear friend on the forum (missing only a movement and hands) so I am waiting with baited breath. And the funny thing is that I was about to send it to a friend so I do owe him an apology (actually I already apologized when I saw this post :) )......so the dream continues on my end. It has to be better than the original horrow show movement.

While this is a phenomenal step forward, there seem to be a lot of cosmetic differences. Are these due to the movements inside being completely different, or was this just oversight? And the follow up / real question: can this be closer to gen, or is the best that can be done without custom movements?

While this is a phenomenal step forward, there seem to be a lot of cosmetic differences. Are these due to the movements inside being completely different, or was this just oversight? And the follow up / real question: can this be closer to gen, or is the best that can be done without custom movements?

It is a totally different movement. The gen has in-house multi-barrel movement. This is just jury rigging an existing movement and cutting better looking aesthetic plates. You will never end up with the jewels in the right place, etc.

That aside, this is definitely a great step. I think only PAM experts or boutiques will realize that the jewels and some little details are off. Average watch enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell. Even geeks might not be able to if they just glance through it, without a side by side of a gen movement. This is already really close cosmetically.

• 3 weeks later...