When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1680 Red by PBdad - A few pics

FROGMAN

Well hey Wolf....hope all is well with you bro. Specs you ask.....Specs you will get....Here we go:

• Cartel Base with ETA 2846
  • Bracelet was totally reworked (softened, aged, stretched, and softened some more)...PB out did himself on this part and it's my favorite by far
  • GEN crown
  • GEN tube
  • Case was softened and aged
  • Case holes were drilled
  • Case holes shaped and softened
  • GEN spring bars
  • End links were added and adjusted to fit against the case nice and tight
  • GEN 127 NOS crystal (still in original packaging)
  • GEN insert and pearl
  • PBdad's special blend of lume for that aged effect and it glows like a mutha
  • PBdad's dial refinishing process applied
  • JMB's silver datewheel with flat top "3"
  • JMB's retaining ring
  • CGs were shaved and shaped

I think that's it.......yep.....that should do it.

Edited by FROGMAN

Pheww!!!

You know you can't just throw out a pretty watch like that and leave us hanging! :)

Very nice piece, I didn't think it was cartel, I thought MBW. Looks really good.

1680 style is the only one I've never owned or built. I did wear a gen for a couple days on loan from a friend of mine.

Before that experience I stayed away because I just didn't care for the crystal. The whole Top Hat thing looked goofy to me.

After wearing my friends, I changed my mind! I have been thinking of building one sometime.

Congrats on your fine watch! Nice parts selection, and Pbad did a fine job.. looks very gen :)

As the kids say...wear it in good health!

I got lucky and picked up the base on a sales thread. Since then pb worked a lot of magic on it. I can't stress how nice his work is on the bracelet.....this sells it for me

I've been on a lookout for old school cartel cases on 3 forums...

All the new ones are just plain fat looking for a vintage build

I've been on a lookout for old school cartel cases on 3 forums...

All the new ones are just plain fat looking for a vintage build

Keep looking daily. Seems like every 3-4 weeks four or five old MBW's come up for sale on one of three forums.

The last one I bought took about that long.

@Frogman

I might have to try Pbad for some aging on one of my watches. Yours is beautiful!

@Frogman

I might have to try Pbad for some aging on one of my watches. Yours is beautiful!

Woof I've been around these forums going on 7 years now and I've had a lot of 1680s (from different modders) and I have to tell you PB is on top of my list. His vintage Rolex pieces are awesome. He even got the texture on the dial correct. I'll try to capture it with my iPhone so you can see the detail. Zoom in and look at the red text....he managed to age it as well.

Only thing that I would love to do to this watch would be to tighten the bezel a little more.....other than that it is a great piece until I find the gen!

Awesome Frogster,

For bezel tightening, there is none better than Jmb...he rocks the tight bezel, and has thousands of satisfied former loose bezel owners.

I know, I was once a loose bezel owner. :)

Yep, I'm charging my iPhone right now....I'll try the macro function and if that doesn't work I have a loupe that I can use as well. I'll get some macro pictures posted.

On a side note, one of our members posted an attachment for the iPhone recently that was marketed as a microscope...and I'm so tempted to order it. I'm not a photographer so I can't really justify a nice macro setup for my camera.

Thanks for posting. It's rare that I ever get to see one of my overlays actually installed in something!

Your overlay was the last upgrade that I had done. It honestly made the watch. The texture on the overlay is so damn good too.....not sure what you used JMB but WOW....very nice work indeed.

I have to say JMB is such a great guy! You'll get to see your overlay in at least one of mine once I get my butt in gear and get it done.

I also agree pbdad is awesome and a true pleasure to deal with. His vintage lume is the best I've ever seen. He works miracles on these reps we send him!

Sweet 1680 man!

jmb: thank you for creating a silver overlay to correct the Cartel 1680 alignment. I assume this is what you have done.

That's what was odd on this build.....the case was sold to me as a cartel version but I've had those and yes they all had the dw alignment issue. This watch has never had that problem. I'm thinking it could be an earlier cartel case though. Also all gen parts fit without an issue.

That's what was odd on this build.....the case was sold to me as a cartel version but I've had those and yes they all had the dw alignment issue. This watch has never had that problem. I'm thinking it could be an earlier cartel case though. Also all gen parts fit without an issue.

thats a really lucky find. I have been itching to build a nice 1680 for awhile now.

I am almost about to give up and just order a more expensive yuki 1680 case.

but half the fun is finding the right parts, isnt it?

As promised here are some macro pics....not bad for an iPhone. Disregard the dust on the crystal. Also the dial texture is hard to capture. It has to be the camera and not the user :)

4c1eb3c6-af66-c667.jpg4c1eb3c6-af72-1513.jpg4c1eb3c6-af82-b0c8.jpg4c1eb3c6-af95-6613.jpg4c1eb3c6-afa9-bd09.jpg